Post subject: WIW 8 Maretimo gardens blackrock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 am 
Property Magnate

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... in/4285870

when i saw it first i was sure it was overpriced, now im not so sure, and if i had the money and was in the market id take a proper look at it,

pretty big site and wonderful views.

Post subject: Re: WIW 8 Maretimo gardens blackrock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:54 pm 
Nationalised

Pricey, but not madly overpriced in my opinion given the condition, the site, and the location. I'd be interested too if I was in the market.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:19 am 
Homeless

cyrusir wrote:
https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-maretimo-gardens-blackrock-co-dublin-dublin/4285870
pretty big site

The freaking garden goes over the DART line to the coast - a unique selling point

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:30 pm 
Single Home Owner

One of the finest locations in Dublin. Can't beat that view. The DART on your doorstep, Blackrock for shopping, Dun Laoghaire for sailing . Ideal for the top earners in UCD, RTE, the Blackrock Clinic.

My only gripe is the open plan kitchen in the beautiful garden room. In a small apartment, this is a rational compromise but, with over 200 sq. m. , couldn't the architects find a better place? If you can afford this beauty, do you really want to look at dirty dishes and smell last night's lasagna?

This is Dublin 2018 so of course it's overpriced. While you're waiting for the next crash, I doubt you could find a comparable home for less in a first-class location.

Compare it to this, for almost the same price. Terraced, 50 sq. m. less, no view, "courtyard garden" :?
https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... -4/4258088

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 pm 
Property Magnate

I have to say that donnybrook house struck me as terrible value when I saw it first , surely it won’t make 1.5m?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:57 pm 
Real Estate Developer

cyrusir wrote:
I have to say that donnybrook house struck me as terrible value when I saw it first , surely it won’t make 1.5m?!?!

The interior is :sick:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:09 pm 
Migrant

Bidding is now up to e1.65 on this property . Wonder where it will stop . Show stopping view for sure . House footprint ? Thoughts ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:03 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

cyrusir wrote:
https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-maretimo-gardens-blackrock-co-dublin-dublin/4285870

when i saw it first i was sure it was overpriced, now im not so sure, and if i had the money and was in the market id take a proper look at it,

One not insignificant problem. It's beside the sea. And there's an awful lot of stuff being written about the future of the planet in relation to the sea. In timescales that are less than "forever home" territory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:08 am 
Nationalised

york wrote:
cyrusir wrote:

One not insignificant problem. It's beside the sea. And there's an awful lot of stuff being written about the future of the planet in relation to the sea. In timescales that are less than "forever home" territory

It's tens of feet above the sea. The DART line and a huge chunk of Dublin bay -- including Sandymount, Ringsend and Clontarf -- will go before this one does.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:25 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

ps200306 wrote:
york wrote:
cyrusir wrote:

It's tens of feet above the sea. The DART line and a huge chunk of Dublin bay -- including Sandymount, Ringsend and Clontarf -- will go before this one does.

I wouldn't be restricting my view to a model in which water level gently inches up year by year. Nor is it the disappearance of the property altogether which drives careful consideration.

This property's close proximity to the sea, in an environment where storms can be expected to drive the sea into giving the coast a lashing, are causes for concern.

What would happen to value if the general environment of near-sea living is rendered unattractive on account of a New World Order? Let's suppose that over the course of a few years we do get catastrophic flood events around the areas you mention above? Will people be comforted by these 10's of feet or will they literally begin to head for the hills? It will be the attitude of the masses which drives market worth.

Let's say the sea casts rocks through the front window of the above property during a winter storm* and that event appears in papers? What happens to value then?

*I've seen boulders that two men couldn't lift cast 100 metres inland by a winter sea (in one case demolishing the wall of a derelict cottage and killing a group of sheep who had taken shelter behind it).

In going coastal, you're basically taking a punt on a product whose value could be undercut in a heartbeat. Every day we read about the advancing problem worldwide. We shouldn't, I think, suppose ourselves safe just because the problem hasn't landed a direct hit on us, yet. The omens are there and the sea, above all things, is something that isn't to be messed with.

Yet it seems as if the coast is being priced as if such problems weren't looming large.

Edit:

For the sake of posterity, the opening line of the myhome ad. I suspect we'll see sea-proximity dealt with in more couched, reassuring terms in the future.

"Savills is excited to present 8 Maretimo Gardens to the market, a terrific family home with the most incredible sea views"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:12 pm 
Nationalised

york wrote:
Let's say the sea casts rocks through the front window of the above property during a winter storm and that event appears in papers? What happens to value then?

Then you become society's "most vulnerable" and whip out the compo form. This is Ireland! :D