Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: London has popped.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:34 pm 
Single Home Owner

"sales of new homes in London fell by a fifth over the last three months of 2017 compared with the previous quarter. “New starts on site also fell by a fifth, but starts still out-paced sales … so the number of unsold units continues to grow.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... il-to-sell

Mis-match of supply and demand, Londoners looking for affordable housing, developers dreaming of foreign billionaires. Painful adjustment coming.

Never happen here, of course :x

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.3367564

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:51 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Lefournier3 wrote:

Mis-match of supply and demand, Londoners looking for affordable housing, developers dreaming of foreign billionaires. Painful adjustment coming.

If London property drops much then it will not help the narrative that they are doing fine since the Brexit vote...I suspect unless Corbyn gets in nothing will change much as they will continue to lie empty. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

[quote=

If London property drops much then it will not help the narrative that they are doing fine since the Brexit vote...I suspect unless Corbyn gets in nothing will change much as they will continue to lie empty. :([/quote]

What do you think Corbyn is going to do?
Maybe he'll give every immigrant a free house and that will sort out the problem!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm 
Too Big to Fail

beattie wrote:
Lefournier3 wrote:

If London property drops much then it will not help the narrative that they are doing fine since the Brexit vote...I suspect unless Corbyn gets in nothing will change much as they will continue to lie empty. :(

From what I’ve been hearing, some investors have zero interest in occupying or even fitting out properties, they just want the "bricks & mortar" to act as a physical investment. It's when they start bailing out, that's the time for other investors to worry.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:07 am 
Single Home Owner

dolanbaker wrote:
beattie wrote:
Lefournier3 wrote:

From what I’ve been hearing, some investors have zero interest in occupying or even fitting out properties, they just want the "bricks & mortar" to act as a physical investment. It's when they start bailing out, that's the time for other investors to worry.

Flippers are more volatile that BTL investors who are far more volatile than owner-occupiers but "hot money" is the most volatile of all. If they get burnt, they could leave overnight and never return - even to London, the global leader in the field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 pm 
Neo Landlord

More Leo-nomics at work in London. Never does it occur to anyone that the house prices are too goddam high, not least the money saving expert Martin Lewis. But if 27 year old middle income workers stop luxuriating in £4.50 dinners in their canteen, that dream 1 bedroom flat shining on a hill in Tooting may be realised.

I'm not sure if this generation has the stamina to keep putting up with this garbage forever, some will pop eventually.

Quote:
House prices have grown faster than rents and incomes, moving far beyond what is considered affordable, especially for twentysomethings. The only people my age I know who have bought a house have done so outside London, as part of a couple, with help from their parents or all three. But you wouldn’t know that from the commentators who argue that a deposit would be within the grasp of all millennials – if only we would cut back on takeaway coffee and avocado toast.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/29/can-you-really-save-for-a-deposit-by-ditching-coffee-and-avocado-toast-i-tried-to-find-out

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm 
Single Home Owner

FT reports London asking prices discounted heavily and actual prices in prime areas are down from 2014 peak.

"Prices per square foot in prime London have fallen 5 per cent since their 2014 peak while in the most expensive “prime central” areas they are down 11 per cent."

https://www.ft.com/content/b5d22bbe-0b5 ... f857ea9f09

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:36 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

London has a glut of posh homes for sale
https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/02/08/ ... -for-sale/

Comments are good as usual. This is my favourite.

Quote:
Definitely my favourite thing about this brewing housing mess is the emotions that are bubbling to the surface on the comments sections of articles like this - the desperate fear and anger of the owners, the bitterness and shadenfreude of the terminally leased; I want to mix it all into a fiery tonic and rub it into my balls.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:33 am 
Nationalised

London property prices fall as much as 15% as Brexit effect deepens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 pm 
Neo Landlord

Last line of that article suggests the British are paying themselves 2.5% pay rises. But inflation is measured at 3%, so they are still down. At least wages are unusually outpacing house prices. Lucky sods. :x

Quote:
With the most recent official data showing earnings growth averaging 2.5%, that means that unusually, wages are currently outpacing house prices.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:44 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Price rises still up in the Northwest with Blackburn the highest, so what's that then, an extra £500 this year on the average terrace?

Manchester is looking seriously dodgy with empty apartment blocks.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:02 pm 
Property Magnate

I recall a lot of people criticizing NAMA for selling London property (e.g., Battersea) too soon. If they'd held on till now, they probably couldn't shift it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am 
Holiday Home Owner

mortgageboy wrote:
I recall a lot of people criticizing NAMA for selling London property (e.g., Battersea) too soon. If they'd held on till now, they probably couldn't shift it at all.

Surely you aren't suggesting that Mick Wallace has called the property market badly...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm 
Speculator

blanchguy wrote:
mortgageboy wrote:

Surely you aren't suggesting that Mick Wallace has called the property market badly...

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:25 pm 
Nationalised

blanchguy wrote:
mortgageboy wrote:

Both of 'em short-changed the taxpayer :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next