Board index » POST Property Bubbles » Post Irish Property Bubble

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1175 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Emigration Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Skippy 3 wrote:
Good question.

Wage data in Ireland is only available by sector, not by occupation or level of degree.

glassdoor ?

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

A question for the knowledgable Pin and Pinsters therin...

Oppurtunity has come up for me to relocate with a new company for 2 years. This will be a very senior post within my industry with a Global Player and presents superb future prospects for ME, Mrs CHef and all the little Chefs - 2 ( 17 and 3 ) with one on the way for Christmas. 8DD

Package is superb, approx double my current and I am paid very well at the moment.

Issue is location................South Africa, Jo Burg. I have no experience of South Africa at all bar working with a few from there over the years . We have done volitile environments before, Middle Eas 8DD for 4 Years , but that was a long time ago and before children.

I am going on a Fam trip in 2 weeks over a weekend to have a look.

Any insights or opinions on living there?

Thanks All.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Just do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The Naked Chef wrote:

Oppurtunity has come up for me to relocate with a new company for 2 years. This will be a very senior post within my industry with a Global Player and presents superb future prospects for ME, Mrs CHef and all the little Chefs - 2 ( 17 and 3 ) with one on the way for Christmas. 8DD

Package is superb, approx double my current and I am paid very well at the moment.

Issue is location................South Africa, Jo Burg. I have no experience of South Africa at all bar working with a few from there over the years . We have done volitile environments before, Middle Eas 8DD for 4 Years , but that was a long time ago and before children.

Thanks All.

IMO Your overriding concern needs to be what is good for the kids. If the 17 year old is in LC year, I would postpone this until they are finished and know what they are doing. I spent some time in SA and would not recommend it. South Africans are trying to leave the place in droves because of the endemic violence. There is a reason why you are being offered double your salary!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:56 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

greentree wrote:
The Naked Chef wrote:

Thanks All.

Oldest Fella is LC 2018. He is in boarding school and plan would be that he would stay there untill after LC. After that he is off to college to study Vetinary but most likely in Wales or Scotland and he hasnt a hope of getting the points here. Suffice to say he is not the major concern. More the saftey aspect that you alluded to.

IMO Your overriding concern needs to be what is good for the kids. If the 17 year old is in LC year, I would postpone this until they are finished and know what they are doing. I spent some time in SA and would not recommend it. South Africans are trying to leave the place in droves because of the endemic violence. There is a reason why you are being offered double your salary!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm 
Real Estate Developer

I would consider cape town for sure as I used to visit for work quite often. Stunning place, great outdoors lifestyle and nice people in general. I'd bring the family too but still be concerned somewhat.

Johannesburg is a lot tougher question, I probably wouldnt bring family there. Even for myself I'd be worried about crime, I never visited it but I heard enough about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:49 pm 
Neo Landlord

Lived in Johannesburg for four years and it's an amazing spot where you and your kids would have a great time. Life with young kids is very easy relative to a lot of spots (qualified, medically trained night nurse for €20 per night etc).

Ignoring the materialistic elements; weather, big house, cheap help, of the charts food etc..My wife and I often talk about how we think it's an amazing place to raise kids away from the commercial BS we see in Ireland, UK and USA. There is far more focus on family, nature and sport in our opinion.

The key thing you need to manage is FX as the currency is volatile and capital controls are over played. Safety is overplayed and manageable.

Great GAA team there to get involved in and a very fun vibe.

Have PM'd you.

Good luck with the decision.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 pm 
Single Home Owner

The former emigrants thread?
"Boston’s Irish community is on high alert after ICE agents detained a local leader for deportation, sparking fears that thousands of other illegal immigrants living and working here for years could be next." - Boston Herald.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/06/ice_bust_puts_boston_s_illegal_irish_on_edge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:45 am 
Under CAB Investigation

RTÉ regularly report that there are 50,000 Irish living illegally in the US.

The embassy in Washington confirmed that they have provided consular assistance to a mere seven of these for immigration offences since January of this year.

So either:

-There are much fewer illegal Irish in the US than the media suggests
-Their chances of running into trouble for their immigration status is very low

Or quite probably both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:07 pm 
Single Home Owner

Skippy 3 wrote:
RTÉ regularly report that there are 50,000 Irish living illegally in the US.

The embassy in Washington confirmed that they have provided consular assistance to a mere seven of these for immigration offences since January of this year.

So either:

-There are much fewer illegal Irish in the US than the media suggests
-Their chances of running into trouble for their immigration status is very low

Or quite probably both.

Perhaps the wrong question was asked? RTE (I presume) asked the Washington office how many undocumented Irish they helped. The "office" helped seven since Washington is not a big destination for the undocumented Irish. RTE should then have asked incredulously, "You just helped seven in America?!"

But you are right, their chances of running into trouble due to their status is probably low.

I have been told Boston routinely deals with detained Irish, and my guess is New York would also be busy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:00 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Saw a headline that the GAA guy in Boston had an outstanding arrest warrant. Don't know the deets.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:54 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Billy Bob wrote:
Lived in Johannesburg for four years and it's an amazing spot where you and your kids would have a great time. Life with young kids is very easy relative to a lot of spots (qualified, medically trained night nurse for €20 per night etc). .

Don't forget the possibility of getting shot on a traffic lights on the way to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh_P8RKFRbM
at home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV_NQV_A_GE

you can always buy this: XX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 pm 
Neo Landlord

mightyz wrote:
Billy Bob wrote:
Lived in Johannesburg for four years and it's an amazing spot where you and your kids would have a great time. Life with young kids is very easy relative to a lot of spots (qualified, medically trained night nurse for €20 per night etc). .

Don't forget the possibility of getting shot on a traffic lights on the way to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh_P8RKFRbM
at home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV_NQV_A_GE

you can always buy this: XX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

Without a doubt in parts of South Africa and Johannesburg there are significantly higher risks, but if you take into account the area where you will be operating (e.g. where you live, work and socialize), demographics and not upsetting my wife (this accounted for 60% of the murders in my subset) my personal risk factor was 5x what it is Dublin and 2x what it is in average US city if same criteria is applied. Its definitely higher, but I hardly walk out the door in Dublin and fear for my life. Even if you multiplied that risk by 5x.

Being in a car crash is still something you should be far more concerned with.

As I say, its a fantastic place and would make a fantastic chapter in your family's life. The challenges arise with the school and university system for late teens. If you carry a Euro or US passport that doesn't matter; you just work on the basis that your kids will attend college abroad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

lowiq wrote:

Perhaps the wrong question was asked? RTE (I presume) asked the Washington office how many undocumented Irish they helped. The "office" helped seven since Washington is not a big destination for the undocumented Irish. RTE should then have asked incredulously, "You just helped seven in America?!"

The story suggested it was for the US as a whole.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm 
Single Home Owner

"As I say, its a fantastic place and would make a fantastic chapter in your family's life. The challenges arise with the school and university system for late teens. If you carry a Euro or US passport that doesn't matter; you just work on the basis that your kids will attend college abroad.[/quote] Billy Bob

Just by the way of an FYI - and this is directly from the TCD website and is typical of all European universities, in order to qualify for free or EU fees at uni, and avoid the eye watering international student rates, which I understand are three times the usual rate:

"The student must have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State and must have received full-time post primary education in the EU for three of the five years prior to entry," to qualify for EU fees. An EU passport on its own won't allow anyone to avoid international student fees.

http://www.tcd.ie/study/eu/undergraduat ... d-payments

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1175 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next

Board index » POST Property Bubbles » Post Irish Property Bubble