Board index » Linksville » Online Resources & Tracking tools

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:10 pm 
Too Big to Fail

You wanna see a Ghost estate? Come to Dundrum. Have a look at Wyckham Point. And believe it or not they are still building more. And a few hundred meters away, beside Dundrum shopping center they have just completed another apartment block. This is empty too. What's your bid on 200 apartments beside the Luas? No bids? No Bids? No one? You there the man at the back with all the jewlery, what's your bid? 10 Euros to graze your horses? Done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
BertieBasher wrote:
You wanna see a Ghost estate? Come to Dundrum. Have a look at Wyckham Point. And believe it or not they are still building more. And a few hundred meters away, beside Dundrum shopping center they have just completed another apartment block. This is empty too. What's your bid on 200 apartments beside the Luas? No bids? No Bids? No one? You there the man at the back with all the jewlery, what's your bid? 10 Euros to graze your horses? Done.

Did ya miss us Bertie! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Ghostestates.com
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:45 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

The Unwelcome Guest wrote:
Talk to nemonoid but I think the idea is there would be no commentary, just pictures...

I personally think the whole "No Comment" idea is best, some of these estates could be home to people after all and I think the images speak for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:29 pm 
Nationalised

Mind you you could try having a sniff around while you were there .

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing28.html

Quote:
Gardaí are questioning two men and a woman after cannabis worth around €520,000 was found growing in three houses in Roscommon and Longford this morning.

According to gardaí, an intelligence-driven search by officers took place at Lisacul, Castlerea, Co Roscommon; Strokestown, Co Roscommon; and Drumlish, Co Longford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:34 pm 
Property Magnate

This is another problem with the ghost estates (and section 23 in general)

The vast majority of the houses are buy-to-let - the tax break for a landlord is twice the tax break for an owner-occupier.
The market for potential tenants in Section 23 country is so small that the landlords will accept anyone.
Hence the events of today and a lot of anti-social behaviour in other estates I know of.

This means the appeal of most of these estates to owner occupiers is next to zero.
All of which would have been fine if the arse hadn't fallen out of the "rent to building workers" market but now that's happened there is no investor demand either.

I'd imagine three landlords in the midlands have a headache tonight - at least their tenants paid the rent, wherever the money may have come from. Won't be easy to find replacements.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Seeing as I can't make the protest in Dublin. I've been thinking about how I could make a contribution for irishhometruths.com if BB would choose to use it.

So I took advantage of the good weather and started to take some video of the ghost estates around me.

It's just simple "drive by" video of rows of houses, about 2 minutes unedited so far.

If anybody could contribute more it would be great. Depending on access either "drive by" or panning along. The idea is to show house, after house, after house, empty.

It doesn't need to be high quality as it will go up on youtube, I just used the video function on my digital camera.

Once the footage is edited together the idea is to add audio of Country Tom telling us how we need to be building more houses etc. :roll:

That's were I could do with some help, you would think it was easy to find Tom telling us we need 50,000 houses a year etc. but I've spent the afternoon trawling through the bubble radio thread trying to find the appropriate bits, so far without success. The problem is that I can't find the relevant bits archived. If anybody has links it would be great if they could PM me with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:36 pm 
Single Home Owner

Some Empties

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:03 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Home Wrecker wrote:
Very good, AnotherIreland! Scarey stuff - where was it, by the way?
I must take a few videos or photos round here - there are many empty or quiet building sites and estates and strangely enough even single houses that seem to have stopped, if not quite abandoned yet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:46 pm 
Single Home Owner

dowtchaboy wrote:
Home Wrecker wrote:
Very good, AnotherIreland! Scarey stuff - where was it, by the way?

Anywhere and everywhere it seems :( . Whatever about the financial costs I worry about the long term social costs of all these unfinished estates.

It is very spooky wandering around them. I wouldn't fancy being a child going on a trick-or-treat expedition around these places tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:48 pm 
Nationalised

It seems like the google maps api is borked on Ghostestates at present

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Linksville » Online Resources & Tracking tools