Board index » Linksville » Online Resources & Tracking tools

Post subject: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:42 pm 
Private Tenant

Hi,

I have just finished developing http://www.daftdrop.com, a new Irish property price tracker. Although in its infancy, it is mature/complete enough to be useful, and hopefully more useful/usable than any alternatives...

The most useful part of the website is at http://www.daftdrop.com/#searchView ... I've focused on making it as fast and easy as possible to use; all searching can be done without browing to a new page, and the results table is fully sortable on any column. Each house is clickable to retrieve the full price history, without leaving the page.

Please let me know what you think. Note that it is a non-profit, non-commerical project/experiment (more of a hobby) which I developed in my spare time, so go easy with your criticisms! :)

Cheers,
credmond

Last edited by credmond on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 pm 
Property Magnate

Hi
Links aren't working.
Quote:
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:10 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Looks highly promising.

However, I did a search for price drops in Galway between June 27 and June 29 and, instead of giving me the price drops between those dates, it gave me the price drops ("drop detected") between June 23 and June 25. The calendar is out of sinc or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I then did a search for price drops in a certain area of County Galway between 1 January 2010 and 1 July 2011 and was only given the price drops in that area for 2011 (up to 25 June), despite the fact that I know price drops occurred in 2010 in that area.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:21 am 
Nationalised

Wow. That's great. Very quick too. Doesn't seem to have all the price drops I had expected for the search I did, but perhaps I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 am 
Property Magnate

Great stuff. Would definitely use it. Possibly silly question considering the name, but are you scraping (or however it works) myhome.ie as well. Made a huge difference when Irish Property Watch.com started covering that as well as SherryFitz won't use Daft.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 am 
Nationalised

Nice work. One small gripe, the "Example: Howth" on the search form, could that disappear earlier (e.g. when you first click any of the fields on the form), as it is it looks as if you have to manually clear it every time (even though you don't)

Also, you can search for drops from, say, 2005, but when are the drops ACTUALLY recorded from? Only 2011? Perhaps this could be made clearer (e.g. prevent user selecting a "From" date before the date drops are actually recorded from).

And could the date fields allow manual entry (i.e. typing in a date)? (The jQuery Datepicker control allows this)

"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:19 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Interesting.

Some comments.

I did a search for Wicklow and even a few weeks data, I see some interesting results.

A price rise is shown in red with a minus symbol. This may be confusing when/if the market stagnates or, God forbid, starts rising!

By calling your site daftdrop you kind of limit yourself to one source of data - ie daft. Who knows what will be popular in 5 or 10 years time.

Anyway, great work and easy to use!

BTW - What technologies did you build it in?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 am 
Nationalised

greentree wrote:
A price rise is shown in red with a minus symbol. This may be confusing when/if the market stagnates or, God forbid, starts rising!

Yes, shouldn't a price drop be in red with a minus, and a price rise a plus? This seems counterintuitive.

"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 am 
Neo Landlord

nice app - will be bookmarking. Well done

Board index » Linksville » Online Resources & Tracking tools