Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: May 18, 2011
Posts: 35
Nanda Devi wrote:
Great stuff. Would definitely use it. Possibly silly question considering the name, but are you scraping (or however it works) myhome.ie as well. Made a huge difference when Irish Property Watch.com started covering that as well as SherryFitz won't use Daft.


Hi,

No, I decided as a one man operation I probably wouldn't have the time to maintain both scrapers, and I didn't really see the benefits. BUT, SherryFitz do list on daft.ie, I'm sure of it: http://www.daft.ie/sherryfitzogormanoreilly ... am I missing something?



Cheers,
credmond

_________________
Price trackers: http://www.daftdrop.co.uk (UK) and http://www.daftdrop.com (Ireland)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm 
Offline
Homeless

Joined: Oct 12, 2010
Posts: 22
Good site, well done.

I would make similar comment re colors in that red normally means drop and green increase. people wanting price drops would quickly reconcile the red with the price drop being good for them.

Hope you keep this up as it would be great to have something like this, with data going back a few years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 pm 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: May 18, 2011
Posts: 35
I've addressed several of the issues mentioned in this thread. More to come.

Cheers,
Cormac

_________________
Price trackers: http://www.daftdrop.co.uk (UK) and http://www.daftdrop.com (Ireland)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:13 am 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: May 18, 2011
Posts: 35
Several more improvements / fixes for anyone interested.

Thanks,
credmond

_________________
Price trackers: http://www.daftdrop.co.uk (UK) and http://www.daftdrop.com (Ireland)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Mar 20, 2007
Posts: 8344
Nice job, works well. A few more minor suggestions:

* In the search results, the headings don't line up correcly over the data (e.g. "Beds"). Perhaps left justify the headings if the data is left justified, and right justify if the data is right-justified?
* Put "€" in front of any euro amounts
* Format percentages with a fixed number of decimal places (1 may be enough?)
* Instead of "in the Co. ZZZZZ area", simplify to "in Co. ZZZZZ".
* Default search county to Dublin, rather than Antrim.
* Add a "favicon" for the site

_________________
"Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide." - Bertie Ahern, 4/July/2004
"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 pm 
Offline
Holiday Home Owner

Joined: Sep 6, 2009
Posts: 329
Location: In the land of Menolly's fools gold
credmond wrote:
SherryFitz do list on daft.ie, I'm sure of it: http://www.daft.ie/sherryfitzogormanoreilly ... am I missing something?


Only EAs who are franchisees of Sherry Fitz use Daft, eg a house with Sherry Fitz Blanc in Malahide/Swords will be listed on daft while a house listed in the Sutton office will be only on My Home. AFAIK, Gunne, DNG and a few other EAs only use My Home.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:54 am 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: May 18, 2011
Posts: 35
mambo wrote:
Nice job, works well. A few more minor suggestions:

* In the search results, the headings don't line up correcly over the data (e.g. "Beds"). Perhaps left justify the headings if the data is left justified, and right justify if the data is right-justified?
* Put "€" in front of any euro amounts
* Format percentages with a fixed number of decimal places (1 may be enough?)
* Instead of "in the Co. ZZZZZ area", simplify to "in Co. ZZZZZ".
* Default search county to Dublin, rather than Antrim.
* Add a "favicon" for the site


Good suggestions, had some of these in the pipeline anyway. Will get to these soon. Thanks.

pyrite manor wrote:
credmond wrote:
SherryFitz do list on daft.ie, I'm sure of it: http://www.daft.ie/sherryfitzogormanoreilly ... am I missing something?


Only EAs who are franchisees of Sherry Fitz use Daft, eg a house with Sherry Fitz Blanc in Malahide/Swords will be listed on daft while a house listed in the Sutton office will be only on My Home. AFAIK, Gunne, DNG and a few other EAs only use My Home.


Ah okay. My big problem with collecting data from two resources is there is no way to automatically & reliably determine if a house on daft.ie is a duplicate of a house on myhome.ie. Given that the majority will exist on both, the majority of price changes will appear on both, and so the same house would often show up in my results table twice (hypothethically).

Even if two houses have the same price, address and description, it doesn't mean they're the same...although, it might be enough for "best guess", with the risk of occassionaly getting it wrong. It's a pity houses don't have a universal Id of some sort... :) Any suggestions? I have no problem collecting myhome.ie data if there's a good case for it (i.e., technically it's not a big issue for me)...

I could add two checkboxs allowing you to choose whether to search one or both databases: daft.ie [x] myhome.ie[x]. But if you pick both, you will see many duplicates... :(

Maybe I'm trying to be too perfect.

_________________
Price trackers: http://www.daftdrop.co.uk (UK) and http://www.daftdrop.com (Ireland)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 am 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31767
Location: Tullamore
credmond wrote:
Maybe I'm trying to be too perfect.

No, I don't think so. Credibility is important; duplicate listing tend to damage that and if they are high priced, they'll skew any averages terribly.

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 am 
Offline
Homeless

Joined: Jun 7, 2010
Posts: 24
Can you get in touch with ps200306? Between your website and his/her analysis of the Price per square foot http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35102, you'd have a great site on your hands...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:06 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 1653
yoganmahew wrote:
credmond wrote:
Maybe I'm trying to be too perfect.

No, I don't think so. Credibility is important; duplicate listing tend to damage that and if they are high priced, they'll skew any averages terribly.


have a separate myhomedrop.com? just a copy of your current site and have it looking at myhome.ie instead.

(i don't know anything about web development)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 am 
Offline
Speculator

Joined: Jan 20, 2008
Posts: 402
Location: Midlands
Gosh, I would on no account start trying to mix in the data from MyHome.
Maybe in Dublin MyHome is kept up to date and used frequently, but regionally it is the much poorer cousin of Daft.
Some of the house data up there is incredible old and obsolete. In Laois anyway Sherry Fitz are the only estate agent who use MyHome on a regular basis, and they also advertise on Daft simultaneously because they know no one looks at MyHome.
If you want to use MyHome, make it a separate database.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:07 am 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: May 18, 2011
Posts: 35
blackdog wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:
credmond wrote:
Maybe I'm trying to be too perfect.

No, I don't think so. Credibility is important; duplicate listing tend to damage that and if they are high priced, they'll skew any averages terribly.


have a separate myhomedrop.com? just a copy of your current site and have it looking at myhome.ie instead.

(i don't know anything about web development)


Yeah, may be an idea...people don't like browsing to two sites though, especially for almost identical data :( ...

bookworm wrote:
Gosh, I would on no account start trying to mix in the data from MyHome.
Maybe in Dublin MyHome is kept up to date and used frequently, but regionally it is the much poorer cousin of Daft.
Some of the house data up there is incredible old and obsolete. In Laois anyway Sherry Fitz are the only estate agent who use MyHome on a regular basis, and they also advertise on Daft simultaneously because they know no one looks at MyHome.
If you want to use MyHome, make it a separate database.


Yeah, I felt the same but there seems to be mixed opinions on this. I can safely say I rarely bother looking at myhome.ie and have never found anything there that isn't on daft.ie...BUT, I wasn't keeping and eye out for differences either and there might be big differences in certain areas...

_________________
Price trackers: http://www.daftdrop.co.uk (UK) and http://www.daftdrop.com (Ireland)


Last edited by credmond on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:57 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Posts: 1914
I rarely look at myhome.ie.

Daft is where it's at.

_________________
http://www.daftdrop.com/#!homeView


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:09 pm 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: May 18, 2011
Posts: 35
Hi all: new www.daftdrop.com site, rebuilt from the ground up.

A lot of work went into the backend of this, ensuring complete data collection and new steps towards accuracy.

Feedback and suggestions welcome, thanks.

_________________
Price trackers: http://www.daftdrop.co.uk (UK) and http://www.daftdrop.com (Ireland)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Introducing DaftDrop.com
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:37 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Dec 28, 2006
Posts: 5579
No feedback other than thank you for a very useful site which I've used in the last week in the vain hope of convincing someone not to mortgage their life away on a specific property.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Click for Latest Posts LATEST POSTS Click for Forum List FORUMS   

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster

  

Pyramid Built, Is Better Built!