Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 989 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Scrimp and Scrape thread: tips to save money
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:29 pm 
Nationalised

dame wrote:
You will be constantly frustrated if you keep this up.

Just what I don't want to hear ... and obviously you're dead right. I'm hopelessly undisciplined at most things. Time for a change.

wii4miinow wrote:
I too am a sometimes player of the piano. I own a piano but it is stored very far away from me in a different house. I would like to play the piano better. I am interested in gathering the knowledge from another player about how long and how often practice is performed as a useful source of guidance to my own personal development. This also seems to be the interest of another contributor.

I have the two house problem also. The Kawai grand is in a house that is blessedly free of neighbours, but I don't live there so much currently. I have a 20 year old Clavinova stage piano where I spend most of my time, but the technology is severely outdated, so I have a brand new one on the way (-- this one).

I spend quite a bit of time with the piano, usually more than dame reports. But it's the pianistic version of a hackathon -- great fun but not necessarily productive. It's not intended to be productive, but I could do with some improvement. Would love to be able to play the prelude from Rach/Bach Partita in E before I die, but I fear it needs several lifetimes and probably some genetic re-engineering too. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm 
Real Estate Developer

dame wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Thanks for all the info dame. I have to admit, I don't much like that Brent Parker piece. It takes me so long to learn a piece that it needs to be something I adore. Therein lies my problem. I only adore things that are far too difficult for me. Here's an example. I learned a considerably simpler version of that, but since I have to memorise a piece because I can't sight read it fast enough, I also tend to forget it when I move on to something else, so now I can't play it any more. And even when I could I was rubbish. I think you've convinced me I need to go back to basics. Maybe even do some exams (though I'm rubbish at exams too) :D

(My italics) Therein lies your problem.... You will be constantly frustrated if you keep this up. You need to lower your sights. Practice your sight reading. My untutored friend use to do it as bedtime reading though that's taking it a bit far. . Non-performance pianists don't memorise pieces. They use the music as a prompt. Write the notes on the music where you need to. Create your own shorthand. Repetition is the key. If you play a piece often enough you'll almost memorise it. Do go back to basics - scales, chords and arpeggios, either alone or with a teacher. If you're rubbish at exams don't put yourself through them. They're only one yardstick.

I second that - having learned classical piano for many years when I was a kid and teenager I am still astonished how much of the stuff I had to learn 30'ish years is still in remembered by my hands and fingers! Despite back in the day at the same time trying forget all of Bach, Mozart, Bartok et al. by unsuccessfully hoping to become a second Jon Lord, it is astonishing how well you remember stuff that you were training for hours on end...
Given I spent way too little time at my keys these days (got myself a Korg PA588 shortly after it was released), my technique is of course no longer sufficient to play error free - and reading (and playing from) sheet music has suffered quite a bit as well.
It is good to get a teacher, but merely to give you a target to play and train for, and provide one with interesting pieces to learn. Nothing beats playing time, and good old arpeggios until your arms fall off...

Buying my sheet music (and the odd musical instrument) at www.thomann.de, I think it was mentioned before.
Significantly cheaper than anywhere in Dublin, and usually as quick as ordering in a shop here (if not quicker),

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 pm 
Nationalised

Getting back on topic, and in keeping with the Scrimp and Save thread title, it would be remiss not to also mention imslp.org. A vast library of out-of-copyright pieces and editions are there for free.

I've also come across joshwrightpiano.com. He has a decent youtube channel, and lesson samplers on his lessons page. The full half hour scale and arpeggio lesson videos that I'm interested in are $3.99 a piece -- about fifty bucks $36 discount price (stop press! - plus another 15% off for subscribing to his list) for the lot, which seems pretty reasonable for six hours tuition from a professional.

There are also 100+ free technique videos, including some complete novice level. Short of paying for one-on-one tuition, these look like fantastic starter material. And when you get past the shiny American vibe, he's really passionate about teaching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:49 pm 
Speculator

I enjoyed Alan Rusbridger's book 'Play it again' detailing how he was determined to master a Chopin Ballade.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 am 
Nationalised

I believe that there's a thriving industry in one-to-one tuition via Skype these days. Seems quite efficient compared to a face-to-face model.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:50 am 
Too Big to Fail

ps200306 wrote:
Getting back on topic, and in keeping with the Scrimp and Save thread title, it would be remiss not to also mention imslp.org. A vast library of out-of-copyright pieces and editions are there for free.

I've also come across joshwrightpiano.com. He has a decent youtube channel, and lesson samplers on his lessons page. The full half hour scale and arpeggio lesson videos that I'm interested in are $3.99 a piece -- about fifty bucks $36 discount price (stop press! - plus another 15% off for subscribing to his list) for the lot, which seems pretty reasonable for six hours tuition from a professional.

There are also 100+ free technique videos, including some complete novice level. Short of paying for one-on-one tuition, these look like fantastic starter material. And when you get past the shiny American vibe, he's really passionate about teaching.

On the subject of tutorial videos, for many subjects, YouTube is your friend. :D You can find anything there (even if 99.99% of it is crap :( ). Still, for photographers, two channels I'd recommend are the B&H channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHIRBiAd-PtmNxAcLnGfwog, if you don't mind sitting through half a minute of commercial blurb at the start and PhotoVideoEDUProgram, http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD0UStsvhecPxvNONLz3clA. On the latter channel, I'd particularly recommend Joe Brady's tutorials, which are both engaging and informative (his own channel here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIPkJTo0NmaBZYP3xWeslcQ). The PVEP videos are a more of an insight into a photographer at work, explaining his or her techniques, while the B&H ones are more formally lectureish and less imaginative in their presentation.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 pm 
Private Tenant

Another multi-currency current account out there. Joining Number26 and Revolut. The neobanks are certainly building. This one seems to have full banking capability, not just a currency card.

http://www.paywithfusion.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:23 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Revolut now has a GBP current account http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/15693 ... t-accounts
users can verify their account with a simple selfie and snap of their passport.
Soon: Direct debits, Savings, Credit, Personal IBANs for EUR and USD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:04 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Norwegian have announced direct flights to the US from July, prices starting from €140 return. 10kg hand luggage only :?
Dub/Snn - Providence RI & Stewart NY.
Ork - Providence.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:09 pm 
Nationalised

temene wrote:
Norwegian have announced direct flights to the US from July, prices starting from €140 return. 10kg hand luggage only :?
Ork - Providence.

They played a political blinder -- made out that they would fly from Cork and got a huge amount of lobbying from Muncher Munster politicos to get the route approved by the FAA, now it turns out they're mainly flying from Dublin :-) Really played the Cork guys.

Last edited by Mantissa on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:39 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Mantissa wrote:
temene wrote:
Ork - Providence.

They played a political blinder -- made out that they would fly from Cork and got a huge amount of lobbying from Muncher politicos to get the route approved by the FAA, now it turns out they're mainly flying from Dublin :-) Really played the Cork guys.

Had a look on their website. Cork flights not bookable yet. Checked a Dublin to Boston one and was 550 return, not fantastic value

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:43 pm 
Too Big to Fail

The €140 flights are there
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 pm 
Nationalised

I'd say the Cork route will only last 6-12 months.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:01 pm 
Speculator

temene wrote:
Image Image

How do you even find the cheap flights on that website? Is there a Skyscanner/Ryanair style graph somewhere I cant see?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Thargor wrote:
temene wrote:
Image Image

How do you even find the cheap flights on that website? Is there a Skyscanner/Ryanair style graph somewhere I cant see?

the 140 flights are there alright.

Note, they fly into Providence, Rhode Island, 85mins on train to Boston proper.
No food or checked in bag - that's 130 extra return.
No wifi or in flight entertainment screen
No immigration pre clearance in Cork

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 989 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next