Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285  Next
 Post subject: Re: The price of Gold
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
Wasn't sure where to post this... :x

Quote:
Nine planes belonging to country's royal fleet are reported to have made unscheduled landings in Switzerland due to serious medical alert - See more at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/qatar ... SjfH7.dpuf

haha, Switzerland a pretty small place -- how amazing that they happened to be directly over it when they just had to land;

as somebody who worked in a (real) Swiss bank I can profoundly confirm their total lack of an ethical compass; the only compass they possess points to "money".

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:38 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Daniel Plainview wrote:
haha, Switzerland a pretty small place -- how amazing that they happened to be directly over it when they just had to land;

Wasn't there a Homeland plot about this?

"S05E04: Allison and Saul are embedded within a private medical clinic in Douvaine, Switzerland, where they're surreptitiously attempting to convince al-Assad's right-hand man, General Youssef (Igal Naor), to stage a coup so that the U.S. can help him fend off ISIS."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:14 am 
Property Magnate

What the hell's going on with gold now? It's up way over 10% in just a month. Is it really because of Yellen's speech?

There's sod-all inflation anywhere but Venezuela, so why the gold?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 am 
Too Big to Fail

To compliment the shotguns & beans!

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:26 am 
Real Estate Developer

Deutsche Bank settles U.S. gold, silver price-fixing litigation

http://www.reuters.com/article/deutsche ... SL2N17H1OS

Terms were not disclosed, but both settlements will include monetary payments by the German bank. Deutsche Bank also agreed to help the plaintiffs pursue claims against other defendants.

The plaintiffs accused Deutsche Bank of conspiring with Bank of Nova Scotia, Barclays Plc, HSBC Holdings Plc and Societe Generale to manipulate prices of gold, gold futures and options, and gold derivatives through twice-a-day meetings to set the so-called London Gold Fixing.

They also accused Deutsche Bank, HSBC and ScotiaBank of a similar conspiracy to manipulate silver prices by rigging the daily Silver Fix.

Milton Friedman best moments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:32 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Daniel Plainview wrote:
conork wrote:
The world will revert back to a gold standard in the near future.

:lol: you don't do much to help stem the view that gold bugs are economically illiterate

http://www.reuters.com/article/china-go ... SL3N17G1Z5

China's yuan gold benchmark to launch with 18 members -source

A yuan gold fix is not expected to pose an immediate threat to the gold pricing dominance of London and New York, but it could ultimately give Asia more power, particularly if the Chinese currency becomes fully convertible.

China continues to hoard...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:31 pm 
Neo Landlord

Joe-Levity wrote:
What the hell's going on with gold now? It's up way over 10% in just a month. Is it really because of Yellen's speech?

dollar is weakening , commodities have bottomed , its bear market cycle came to an end , happens all sectors , it should continue to rise now for the next five years though is a little over bought now

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 pm 
Property Magnate

irish_bob wrote:
Joe-Levity wrote:

dollar is weakening , commodities have bottomed , its bear market cycle came to an end , happens all sectors , it should continue to rise now for the next five years though is a little over bought now

So, the EUR bottomed at $1.057 in Dec '15 and spiked to $1.152 this month and is now about $1.13. Saying "its bear market cycle came to an end" is sort of handwaving rather than an explanation.

About 6 months ago gold was only at $1050, now it's well over $300 up.

The last time gold rose $300 in such a short period, we know why that happened: there was a massive financial crisis that led to the greatest depression in the history of capitalism, which is still with us.

But right now, there's no overt crisis going on. It's the only time gold has risen so dramatically without there being a big ventilator-faeces interface scenario happening.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:51 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Joe-Levity wrote:
irish_bob wrote:
Joe-Levity wrote:

So, the EUR bottomed at $1.057 in Dec '15 and spiked to $1.152 this month and is now about $1.13. Saying "its bear market cycle came to an end" is sort of handwaving rather than an explanation.

The last time gold rose $300 in such a short period, we know why that happened: there was a massive financial crisis that led to the greatest depression in the history of capitalism, which is still with us.

But right now, there's no overt crisis going on. It's the only time gold has risen so dramatically without there being a big ventilator-faeces interface scenario happening.

I believe there are one or two shoeshine boys involved in the stockmarket at the moment.........

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:02 pm 
Real Estate Developer

wawwa wrote:
Joe-Levity wrote:
irish_bob wrote:
Joe-Levity wrote:

I believe there are one or two shoeshine boys involved in the stockmarket at the moment.........

You think it's a bubble cause everyone is buying?
Do you know people buying?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:19 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

I believe there are one or two shoeshine boys involved in the stockmarket at the moment.........[/quote]

You think it's a bubble cause everyone is buying?
Do you know people buying?[/quote]

Elements of a bubble, yes. And I'm talking about the stock market.

I've met a few financial advisers advising me to get in.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:35 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

It's a massive bubble, you'd have to be blind not to see it. Stock valuations on just about any metric are ridiculous. The entire market is a farce.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:25 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Scratcher wrote:
Daniel Plainview wrote:
"However your real problem is that QE is not inflationary -- which should have sunk in by now, it's pretty obvious, and if you think it is then you evidently don't understand it"

No bubble in the S&P and bonds then? :x

Calling "bubbles" ain't as easy as it looks. That quote is three and half years ago! S&P and Bonds both way higher since then.

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Scratcher wrote:
Stock valuations on just about any metric are ridiculous. The entire market is a farce.

Well, I think the P/E is probably not ridiculous relative to bond yields. The problem is when the E collapses...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:46 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Eschatologist wrote:
Scratcher wrote:
Stock valuations on just about any metric are ridiculous. The entire market is a farce.

Well, I think the P/E is probably not ridiculous relative to bond yields. The problem is when the E collapses...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fed_model

Not a fan personally.

I'm not saying that stocks can't go higher. Probably will until after the election. But the valuations of US stocks (to be more specific) are far too high. The buyback frenzy of the last few years is worrying also. I've sold all my stock holdings except gold miners.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285  Next