Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why isn't electricity cheaper?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:44 am 
Real Estate Developer

Not independently verified.
Many claims such as this before...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm 
Nationalised

Private nuclear fusion research quietly continues to make strides in the background. It's probably a good thing that it's not shouted from the rooftops as fusion research has promised big in the past and delivered nothing so far. The good news is that it's not a case of repeated abject failure, but steady progress. Most people will know about the huge (and hugely expensive) ITER project at Cadarache in France. Less well known are the twenty or so private companies with a billion dollars of funding that are aiming for net power from fusion using a wide variety of different approaches.

Fusion is established science, and net power from fusion is definitely technologically feasible. ITER and its successors will do that for sure. That does not guarantee economic success, though, as limitless energy from a free source sounds great until the amortised cost of the plant turns out to be more expensive than conventional electricity. That is why research into compact fusion is important, and why small players are just as important as the huge public projects.

A recent article gives a half-decent round up of the main contenders:

https://medium.com/theengine/knowledge- ... 51c551cef5

This video, although ostensibly about one backyard project in Colorado (albeit a very serious one by a very clever individual) also alludes to some of the other contenders:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:36 pm 
Too Big to Fail

The CER says that average household uses 4200kwh electricity pa, ~€800 on current prices
However in 2016 it was 5300kwh pa

Why did the Regulator lower the Kwh electricity average usage figure?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

temene wrote:
The CER says that average household uses 4200kwh electricity pa, ~€800 on current prices

I don't know the answer to your question but maybe I can pose a few semi-educated guesses:
1. That was 2016, this is 2018?
2. There is a desire to demonstrate some of our 40% by 2040 reduction towards less CO2 for our international global warming targets
3. There was an actual reduction and they have the real facts that you may not have.
4. Increasing efficiency brought about by new technologies and better performance and insulation has all brought about an average improvement.

As I look at these numbers though it does show me that some houses still have a long way to go to reduce their consumption.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:43 pm 
Property Magnate

temene wrote:

It looks like there were a few reasons -
1. There was misinterpretation of the phrase 'average' in the past when they had calculated 'typical'.
2. They haven't looked at it for a long time
3. Switching websites may have been overestimating savings for people who switched by using a too high average usage value

Anyway, here's a link to the relevant part of the Commission for Energy Regulation consultation and decision...
https://www.cru.ie/document_group/review-of-typical-consumption-figures-decision-paper/
and a few extracts -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am 
IMF'd

Two other possibilities:
1. Global warming meaning milder winters, so less power usage for heating.
2. Oil prices are low, so people have been using oil rather than electric for heating?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:42 am 
Too Big to Fail

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the change to CFL and then to LED lighting, both of these had a considerable impact on electricity consumption.
A house full of 100W bulbs replaced by 20W LEDs would slow down anyone's meter.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:22 am 
Neo Landlord

dolanbaker wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the change to CFL and then to LED lighting, both of these had a considerable impact on electricity consumption.

CFLs have been around for 20 years. But TVs also use a lot less energy now, and most domestic appliances like washing machines and dishwashers, so you would expect average usage to be in decline. A big uptake on EVs could reverse that, though they generally charge on night-rate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am 
Too Big to Fail

shweeney wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

CFLs have been around for 20 years. But TVs also use a lot less energy now, and most domestic appliances like washing machines and dishwashers, so you would expect average usage to be in decline. A big uptake on EVs could reverse that, though they generally charge on night-rate.

Yes, CFLs have been around since the 1990s, but they were only widely adopted in the early 2000s and then largely replaced by LEDs in the past decade.
The replacement of transformers with switched mode power supplies in most electronics has made a significant reduction to consumption.
Another thing to consider is that there are quite a now a large number of households that have PV solar installed, so daytime consumption (on sunny days) figures for many are zero.
My system exports some power most days. Unfortunately, I don't have any batteries yet so I can't store it.

EVs will change that of course, I expect smart meters and current limiting chargers will be deployed to avoid overloading the grid at times.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:54 am 
Of Systemic Importance

I've been looking at solar panels for the roof but can't find any a reliable estimate on how many years to break even?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 am 
Old Time Landlord

dolanbaker wrote:
current limiting chargers will be deployed to avoid overloading the grid at times.

Whats a current limiting charger? I understand the words, but what would the feature / function do that an appropriately sized charger wouldn't do? Throttling output based on grid capacity? Doing this at a granular level like laptop chargers?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:33 am 
Of Systemic Importance

owenm wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
current limiting chargers will be deployed to avoid overloading the grid at times.

Whats a current limiting charger? I understand the words, but what would the feature / function do that an appropriately sized charger wouldn't do? Throttling output based on grid capacity? Doing this at a granular level like laptop chargers?

Smart chargers...

"Sorry Dave, I can't let you drive to work. You wouldn't believe the loads last night, it was crazy man. Anyway, work from home, yeah? Oh, you're a paramedic? Can't you just offer support over the phone? Hey, I have some information on CPR. Would you like me to read it to you?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:56 pm 
Private Tenant

TheJackal wrote:
I've been looking at solar panels for the roof but can't find any a reliable estimate on how many years to break even?

Same problem
it depends on the mix for home heating.
try the SEAI website calculator

https://www.seai.ie/resources/tools/SEA ... -July.xlsx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm 
Neo Landlord

temene wrote:

What data is that using? I was paying less than 13c per unit last year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next