Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Retail Watch Thread / The Death of retail ....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 pm 
Nationalised

Shimano MF TZ21 7-Speed Cassette

Evans Cycles - €35.09

Ebay - €10

Aliexpress - €3.30

I've gotten into the habit of slow shopping where for a lot of projects it doesn't bother me if I have to wait a few weeks for delivery. The mark up that consumers pay in Ireland is crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:35 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Coles2 wrote:

Evans Cycles - €35.09

Ebay - €10

Aliexpress - €3.30

I've gotten into the habit of slow shopping where for a lot of projects it doesn't bother me if I have to wait a few weeks for delivery. The mark up that consumers pay in Ireland is crazy.

For price differences like that I assume the one on AliExpress will turn out to be a knock-off rather than a genuine Shimano part?

EDIT: Actually it seems not in this case but Evans is just an extreme outlier. It's available directly from Amazon.co.uk for £9.89.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-14-28- ... no+mf-tz21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

JohnnyTheFox wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Evans Cycles - €35.09

Ebay - €10

Aliexpress - €3.30

For price differences like that I assume the one on AliExpress will turn out to be a knock-off rather than a genuine Shimano part?

EDIT: Actually it seems not in this case but Evans is just an extreme outlier. It's available directly from Amazon.co.uk for £9.89.

Plus this is hardly going to break the bank
Probably <€15 in most bike shops

the real cost in the bike themselves
You usually have fat men cycling €2k bikes as there bikes are 200grams lighter that the €500 bike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:11 am 
Nationalised

temene wrote:
Is it your first time noticing you live on treasure island?

Not at all. I spent nearly ten grand last year on some big ticket items from the UK. But it's taken a while to dawn on me that even the smallest scale items are worth importing, right down to a few euro value. I used to feel ashamed about taking my business abroad and used to always give a local retailer a chance to compete if they could. Not any more. I realised that not only are they ripping us off, lots of them have really shit customer service to boot. They act like they're doing you a favour by charging a whack load more than the usually more friendly UK retailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 am 
Nationalised

What Irish web retailers are at the races?

Micksgarage.com is arguably the best around for car parts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 am 
Nationalised

werpen wrote:
JohnnyTheFox wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Evans Cycles - €35.09

Ebay - €10

Aliexpress - €3.30

Plus this is hardly going to break the bank
Probably <€15 in most bike shops
Sure, but every shop has thousands of products like this that are grossly over-priced. They can reduce the price of some products and call it a 'sale' to draw you in knowing that they'll sting you on other stuff. No loss in running a 'sale' at these prices.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am 
Too Big to Fail

Large US clothing chainstore pulling out of Ireland, employs 82 people.
Forever 21 to close Dublin store

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Forever 21 to close its only Irish store

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/ret ... -1.3349495

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:06 am 
Property Magnate

it seems continued employment for its members despite losses of 40m still isnt enough for mandate :x

Quote:
US youth fashion retailer Forever 21 is to close its Irish outlet in Dublin’s Jervis Centre, with the loss of 82 jobs, having racked up losses of more than €40 million since it opened in 2010.

While the chain continues to trade at the Henry Street store, it’s understood that it has agreed to terminate its lease, and a closure is expected to be imminent.

Responding to the news, trade union Mandate said its members are “ deeply disappointed” that the global retailer refused to engage with the union in order to negotiate redundancy packages. It’s understood that the company will only be imposing the minimum statutory redundancy of two weeks per year of service.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am 
Nationalised

Not new, but Maplin's fell into administration in February, closing down sale in progress.

Quote:
Over 80 jobs in the Republic of Ireland are at risk after electricals retailer Maplin collapsed into administration.

The British computer and electrical retailer group, owned by private equity firm Rutland Partners...Maplin currently has six stores in the Republic of Ireland - in Cork, Dublin city, Blanchardstown, Dundalk, Galway and Limerick.

According to PwC, which is still attempting to find a buyer for the group, there are currently 82 people in employment across the six stores here.....Maplin operates 217 stores across the UK and Ireland, including five in Northern Ireland, and has head offices in London and Rotherham.

Today's developments are understood to put a total of 2,500 jobs at risk across the group's operations. .
Graham Harris, CEO confirmed that it "has not been possible to secure a solvent sale of the business".

"As a result we now have no alternative but to enter into an administration process. During this process Maplin will continue to trade and remains open for business," he said.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 pm 
Speculator

Hanleys in Dundrum gone aswell, like Maplins it was a nice place to visit and view things before pulling out your phone and buying them for 20/30/40% of the price.

A lot of closures in Dundrum lately but the thread on Boards reckons its to do with 10 year leases running out, apparently the owners are cranking up the rent and not worried about refilling the units.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:55 am 
Too Big to Fail

UK tabloids have launched a campaign to Save Britain's High Streets
Mirror, Mail
50,000 retail jobs were axed in the past six months the Mail calls for urgent overhaul of crippling business rates

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:10 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Debenhams on the rocks ...

Cash crisis at Debenhams as credit insurers take fright

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/busi ... l52wk?t=ie

Quote:
Debenhams faces a cash crunch as credit insurers tighten terms for its suppliers, piling further pressure on the struggling department store chain.

One of the leading insurers, Euler Hermes, is understood to have reduced cover dramatically for suppliers to Debenhams, while rivals Atradius and Coface are said to have refused to cover new shipments in recent days.

Credit insurance is a vital part of the retail supply chain, protecting suppliers against the risk of a customer going bust between the point of accepting an order and payment being made.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:10 pm 
Neo Landlord

Even An Post are scaling back the GPO site on O'Connell st. now. 300 to go around the country, mainly rural you'd imagine.

The Clery's site still sits there vacant three years on, and now the GPO is liable to be downgraded. And this was considered the Centre of everything in the first 60 or 70 years of the state anyway.

Suppose the museum will remain, and the building will live on as a museum piece, but like many new museum's these days it's just a load of blaring noise inside. Makes it impossible to read displays in depth with multi media displays everywhere blaring out mostly auld crap.

Quote:
An Post to seek up to 300 voluntary redundancies, may move HQ from Dublin's GPO

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0815/985330-an-post-redundancies/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:27 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Orla Kiely to close retail and online businesses

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0 ... rla-kiely/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27