Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Irish Newspaper Industry
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:53 am 
Nationalised

fungus wrote:
Astounding 25k per edition average drop in circulation over a year with the Sunday World. Can't be long till INM put the Sunday World to bed for good with no significant digital presence and no real future. Profitability margins must be razor thin at this stage.

Actually it's one of the most visited Irish websites or so I've been told

No idea about profits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 am 
Under CAB Investigation

It's not. It's the 588th most popular site in Ireland according to Amazon's Alexa http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/sundayworld.com

Revenue from digital advertising is likely to be tiny.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:26 am 
Neo Landlord

fungus wrote:
Revenue from digital advertising is likely to be tiny.

Which also explains why almost no print publications will discuss the property/QE bubbles raging in almost every developed city globally right now - because they are one of the few actual paymasters that the print media have left.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

More trouble for the Irish Examiner publisher Landmark Media. The Sunday Times report that Landmark Media are working with KPMG on options for the company. One option is the sale of the Irish Examiner to INM.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 pm 
Nationalised

I don't mean to alarm anyone but the Irish Times has now placed Ross O'Carroll-Kelly behind a full hard paywall.

Edit: apparently this was last week's instalment only. This week's is back to normal. Thanks Luan for pointing this out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Mantissa wrote:
I don't mean to alarm anyone but the Irish Times has now placed Ross O'Carroll-Kelly behind a full hard paywall.

Edit: apparently this was last week's instalment only. This week's is back to normal. Thanks Luan for pointing this out.

Ross O'Carroll Kelly - the so-called satirist?
Jonathan Swift must be spinning in his grave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:22 pm 
Nationalised

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/medi ... -1.3037669

Quote:

Paul O’Neill has been appointed Editor of The Irish Times in succession to Kevin O’Sullivan. Mr O’Neill has served as Deputy Editor for almost a decade under Mr O’Sullivan and his predecessor, Geraldine Kennedy.
He joined The Irish Times in 1989 as London Correspondent and thereafter worked as a news reporter, Crime Correspondent, Deputy News Editor and Finance Editor. He had previously worked for the Cork Examiner and the Waterford News & Star.

Mr O’Sullivan announced his decision to step down on Wednesday to a packed Irish Times newsroom. Mr O’Sullivan paid tribute to the editorial team at The Irish Times. He said: “In an unrelentingly challenging period, they ensured our journalistic output was frequently in the public interest and enriched the lives of a growing number of readers.”
He said although The Irish Times was facing a demanding period, success was already evident in many ways, with almost 60,000 subscribers in digital and print.

The chairman of The Irish Times, Dan Flinter, said:“Kevin has made a major contribution to the development of The Irish Times over the past six years during a period of extraordinary change in the news publishing sector.”
Mr O’Neill said he was honoured to take on the role of Editor. “The challenges facing so-called old media companies have been well ventilated. But the audience of The Irish Times continues to grow and now includes those who access our journalism via smartphones, iPads and desktops, as well as those who continue to read the newspaper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 am 
Nationalised

Just came across the Limerick Leader's 'Pay-as-you-Go' system. It looks interesting, but I haven't had a chance to investigate exactly how it works. How are the micropayments made (5c to read an article, 25c for an hour of archives, 50c for a day)? I presume you pay €10 credit and work it down?

I think that has a lot more potential than fixed subscription charges. Could work for all kinds of websites. Even discussion forums. :nin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:24 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Interesting one alright. Ideal would be for all/most publishers to adopt a harmonised system so you didn't need to buy credits with everyone. You could just have 20 quid worth of credit and buy NYT articles for 25c, local news stories for 10c, Irish Indo opinion columns for 0.1c and so forth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm 
Nationalised

:)

Those Irish Indo opinion pieces could be where you go to top up your credit. It would be like getting paid for doing psychoactive medical trials except inevitably the outcome would always be shit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

:D "I'll have the Times, the Post and...(sigh) a couple of Ian O'Dohertys"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:53 am 
Property Magnate

Sorry I don't have a link but RTÉ Radio 1 was gleefully reporting a major downsizing at Communicorp at 6pm last night. It did sound like a bit of a bloodbath.

I guess they are seeing the same hit to advertising as the newspapers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Fooled by randomness wrote:
Sorry I don't have a link but RTÉ Radio 1 was gleefully reporting a major downsizing at Communicorp at 6pm last night. It did sound like a bit of a bloodbath.

I guess they are seeing the same hit to advertising as the newspapers.

+ they're boss is stuck for cash?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:18 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Irish Times agrees deal to buy Irish Examiner along with other titles

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1 ... newspaper/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:25 am 
Single Home Owner

July to December circulation 2017: http://newsbrandsireland.ie/data-centre/circulation/

iLevel report here: http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/print/102971-irish-newspaper-circulation-july-dec-2017-island-of-ireland-report-2

Irish Times could dip below 60,000 the next time around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next