Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: The David McWilliams thread
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am 
Real Estate Developer

Some people would rather junkie injection centers to infest our city.

Ah for the good old days of Summerhill and Pearse Street.

The liberties sounds great until you'd actually live there .

Oh but look the locals don't want more homeless shelters either, they WANT a better neighbourhood.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1011/911532-hall/

Large parts of Dublin city center are dirty , dilapidated looking and unsafe.

Last edited by taipeir on Tue May 08, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 am 
Real Estate Developer

@taipeir
Don't be so obtuse. No one is arguing that.

The discussion is about the nature, quality, speed and scale of the development, not that there should be no development.

Last edited by snaps on Tue May 08, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:21 am 
Real Estate Developer

All I see is a lot of moaning about improving previously skangery areas.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:39 am 
Of Systemic Importance

taipeir wrote:
Some people would rather junkie injection centers to infest our city.

Ah for the good old days of Summerhill and Pearse Street.

The liberties sounds great until you'd actually live there .

Oh but look the locals don't want more homeless shelters either, they WANT a better neighbourhood.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1011/911532-hall/

Large parts of Dublin city center are dirty , dilapidated looking and unsafe.

You're missing the points of McWilliams piece.

1) Its becoming more and more difficult for anyone who isn't very well paid to live in modern cities the world over.
2)The cities themselves do not benefit from this fact due to an absence of that most prized of modern commodities ie genuine diversity in the makeup of the population.
3) The reference to unlisting currently listed buldings with a view to pulling them down would appear to sit perfectly with such an agenda and the cynics amongst us would view such a project as simply a means to remove a certain demographic from the life of the city ie the working class/locals/indigenous population (whatever term you prefer).
4) As noted above, such moves only really serve a corporate/developer agenda which would appear to favour a city centre comprised of transient impersonal populations that pay top level rents to the exclusion of sustainable liveable neighbourhoods.

As an aside, although Im not from the area I lived in a flat in the Liberties for 10 years. In my view its fine the way it is and the current 'regeneration' plan will simply turn out to be an attempt at population replacement along the lines outlined above. Some may view this as a positive and there are some arguments in favour. But ultimately I don't think its a good thing in the context of what McWilliams is getting at.

Plus Im against injection rooms and further homeless/addiction shelters in the Liberties or the rest of the city centre generally. Why they cant be dispersed a bit more evenly around the rest of the city would again (IMO) tie in with why the whole 'regeneration' spiel gets such traction in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Good points I agree with many of them. I don't want Dublin to become like San Fran it is definitely on its way there . The city center is already mostly foreigners according to census data I believe, at least on the Northside (was back there a while back and it wasnt a good look....the area has not improved except for more ethnic eateries ).

I am one of those folks who likes the idea of moving home but when I check the financial and logistical feasibility it makes almost zero sense. It is a great shame how badly managed infrastructure and housing has been in Ireland and Dublin in particular . What is even worse is to see from afar how quickly the masses have gone back to the 'property buzz'. There was a chanCe there to do things differently but...No...

I am naturally disinclined to buy into the 'listed buildings' argument for what are often ratty apartment blocks with major social problems. An obligatory picture of some long gone semi famous architect is used instead of looking at the actual condition of the buildings. Ironically many probably replaced the tenements of their day as part of urban regeneration.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:30 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I lived in the flats in Oliver Bond for 2 years and I never had a days trouble in it. It's a vibrant area with loads of young people. They're working class, though and it's a working class culture and vibe that predominates.
Ptg is right though regeneration is just a nicer way of saying gentrification. Not the same but similar, I lived in O'Devany flats as a child. My mother had moved there from the tenemants with her family in the 50's. O'Devany had the same tenemant culture. In the 80's the corporation offered grants for people to buy houses. We were a family of 5 in a one bed flat at that time so we took it up as did loads of people from town. O'Devany went downhill from there, the empty flats were used by the corpo as emergency housing and for troubled cases. The area became infamous after that and the areas that us ex-townies moved to also became infamous as families were seperated from their support networks in town.

TL;DR uprooting lower socio-economic groups en-masse leads to trouble that takes a generation maybe two to work out.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:36 pm 
Real Estate Developer

I'm sorry if I insulted people born and raised in the area. I'm very familiar with the northside city centre it would be hard to make it worse in many respects. Grangegorman and Luas development should do a lot for Broadstone down to Capel street and hopefully Parnell street and Dominic street. Hopefully the new apartments there will be a big improvement.
We won't even get into the state of Dorset Street, Gardiner Street, Talbot street and Abbey street or even MENTION Sheriff street.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 am 
Too Big to Fail

David McWilliams: Our housing problem is an apartment problem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:40 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Well-known economist David McWilliams is reassuring people that there is no crash on the way.

It follows a warning from the Paris-based OECD yesterday that Ireland needs to control its debt levels if it wants to avoid another cycle of boom and bust.

"What we're seeing is a very small and very very wealthy sector is dragging up prices whereas last time what we saw was a very large, not particularly wealthy sector - ie: us - was driving up prices.

"So I do think people should stand back and say hold on a second - is the OECD saying 2006/7/8 style crash is around the corner? I think not."

Domestic watchdogs such as the Economic and Social Research Institute and the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council have said that the economy is not over-heating at this time.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 46152.html

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:19 am 
Under CAB Investigation

He has an immensely silly article (which I won't even link to) blaming all of Italy's problems on the fact that it doesn't use the lira anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:55 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Skippy 3 wrote:
He has an immensely silly article (which I won't even link to) blaming all of Italy's problems on the fact that it doesn't use the lira anymore.

It was a very floppy piece. His argument gets torn apart with facts in the comments.

Does he have some other gig now that means he doesn't bother with the media pieces now?

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 am 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:

extraordinarily lazy and shoddy; repeating a lot of Brexity talking points

to think this is what is replacing Garret FitzGerald's boring articles in the Irish Times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:29 pm 
Real Estate Developer

David McWilliams : This time the overheating is different (Jun 13, 2018)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:42 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

David McWilliams: The rise of the singleton has transformed Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/davi ... -1.3591123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:49 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Article is on his site now. (Outside of IT paywall)

David McWilliams: The rise of the singleton has transformed Ireland
http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/the-rise- ... d-ireland/

Bit depressing read tbh.

...we're heading the way of Sweden according to DMcW.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next