Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385  Next
 Post subject: Re: ISEQ: Up or down? - The Stockmarket Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:13 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I think the moral arguments of how and where to invest belong in another thread.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:26 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Luan wrote:
So in your mind, it is acceptable to leave the property you brought under the social and affordable housing scheme empty while renting elsewhere in Dublin.

what is this hypothetical situation to which you refer while trying to extract yourself from the knot you've bound yourself in? I've never rented property in another part of Dublin or Ireland for that matter while owning property elsewhere in the city\state\universe.
Quote:
I am also very relieved that my strategy of dealing with high end rental property in the D2/D4 area meets with your approval :)

My experience of seeing people forced out of supposed high end rental property in South County Dublin is that it is only "high end" in terms of price and those priced out tenants would enjoy more comfort in a council house if one were available and they qualified for it.
On leaving certain rented houses which can only be afforded by people earning above the average wage, I've remarked "God, that place is grim" and been thankful to return to the warmth of the car.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

catbear wrote:
I think the moral arguments of how and where to invest belong in another thread.

Mr. I'm considerably wealthier than you is happy to crow about his canny investments in Irish Property in 2012 while here in 2016 Ireland is in the grips of a housing crisis.
Distasteful or what?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:39 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

dipole wrote:
catbear wrote:

Mr. I'm considerably wealthier than you is happy to crow about his canny investments in Irish Property in 2012 while here in 2016 Ireland is in the grips of a housing crisis.
Distasteful or what?

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

dipole wrote:
catbear wrote:

Distasteful or what?

As a canny I also bought property in 2005, 2006 and 2007 :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:31 pm 
Neo Landlord

dipole wrote:
Luan wrote:
I was a strong advocate back in 2012 (when nobody else was buying) that property was a good buy. I backed my mouth with the purchase of 3 residential properties in D2/D4.

and I am a strong advocate to keep out of the residential property market as it is immoral investment when so many Irish people are caught in a rent trap or can't even afford to rent and I backed my mouth by selling my residential property in late 2011 despite not being under any financial pressure to sell.
About the only way to invest morally in Irish property is to invest in a derelict and improve it o that it is habitable or finance the building of new property.

oh spare us the insufferable piety , rents in Dublin are not especially high for a European capital , wages in Dublin are well above the average for a European capital

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:43 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

irish_bob wrote:
oh spare us the insufferable piety , rents in Dublin are not especially high for a European capital , wages in Dublin are well above the average for a European capital

It is not piety; It is observing people close to me suffering because of parasites piling in to an asset class which also doubles as human shelter. I can't tell these people to knuckle down and earn more as they already earn what is considered a reasonable wage within their industry internationally.
Although that wouldn't stop some people here sharing anecdotes about how their immigrant charwoman and her labourer husband can afford to buy in Dublin.

To which European capital does it suit you to compare rents? It is more expenive than Berlin. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/berlin
Average wages are not average wages for those in the rental trap with no means of escape. There are some older high earners who are playing Monopoly in Dublin.

The ladder has been truely pulled up behind those who clambered on to it when it was within grasp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:46 pm 
Real Estate Developer

dipole wrote:
irish_bob wrote:

It is not piety; It is observing people close to me suffering because of parasites piling in to an asset class which also doubles as human shelter. I can't tell these people to knuckle down and earn more as they already earn what is considered a reasonable wage within their industry internationally.
Although that wouldn't stop some people here sharing anecdotes about how their immigrant charwoman and her labourer husband can afford to buy in Dublin.

To which European capital does it suit you to compare rents? It is more expenive than Berlin. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/berlin
Average wages are not average wages for those in the rental trap with no means of escape. There are some older high earners who are playing Monopoly in Dublin.

The ladder has been truely pulled up behind those who clambered on to it when it was within grasp.

Mate your first problem is assuming prices only go upwards.
Every business in the world has been set up to make money. They extract money from the rich and the poor. At the same time, every business is able to make money or loose money. Being a landlord is like any other business.
I've rented places I could never afford to buy, the rental yield was very negative. Thankfully there was a landlord willing to speculate on the asset price and willing to rent it to me.

Your anger should be directed at the government for intervening in the market and central banks for keeping interest rates so low people need to speculate in risky assets to get any sort of return.

Milton Friedman best moments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:07 am 
Of Systemic Importance

dipole wrote:
irish_bob wrote:

Rents in Berlin are cheaper because there is less demand. It's not complicated. Majority of Germans rent. Do you consider their landlords immoral?

<SNIP>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:25 am 
Of Systemic Importance

grumpy wrote:
Rents in Berlin are cheaper because there is less demand.

That's totally wrong anyhow.
Reports in German media show that Germans are thronging to the larger cities and smaller towns are hollowing out.
The German rental sector is heavily regulated to the benefit of both landlord and tenant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:46 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Luan wrote:
HouseBuyer wrote:
Thargor wrote:
Feel free to post your Buys here when the time comes please HouseBuyer, been sitting on cash for a year, well its in Prize Bonds but Ive only won €100.

MSCI Emerging Markets Index is a good way to get a broad spread of diversification to higher quality, large cap, emerging market equities that have been heavily sold off.

In terms of energy, stick with well capitalized, high quality companies which are producing and have excellent balance sheets. Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron Corporation for me tick those boxes.

Good old Berkshire Hathaway is also attractive at these levels. Shares will be bought back at 1.2x book value, and the share price is only trading just above that level now.

Would like to see another 10% decline before I really start to get interested though.

Brought Lloylds today at 57.45

Only my profit and tax bill still invested in Lloylds as of today :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:49 pm 
Neo Landlord

grumpy wrote:
dipole wrote:
irish_bob wrote:

Rents in Berlin are cheaper because there is less demand. It's not complicated. Majority of Germans rent. Do you consider their landlords immoral?

<SNIP>

berlin is a famously cheap city , either by german or european standards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:50 pm 
Neo Landlord

dipole wrote:
grumpy wrote:
Rents in Berlin are cheaper because there is less demand.

That's totally wrong anyhow.
Reports in German media show that Germans are thronging to the larger cities and smaller towns are hollowing out.
The German rental sector is heavily regulated to the benefit of both landlord and tenant.

plus no sympathy is shown to dead beat tenants in germany , try evicting a tenant here who either wont pay or trashes the place , your looking at eighteen months if your lucky and zero consequence for the scab tenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:09 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Andy wrote:
Daniel Plainview wrote:
Andy wrote:

Reckon they're spot on re VRX too.

You think VRX equity is a good buy?

Yes, I think it has been oversold.
Decent fundamentals - 12x EV multiple but 5% cash tax rate, capex 3% of revenues, 4.0x interest coverage, FY 2015 P/E of 8.0x, F FY 2016 P/E 6.0x-7.0x.

Legal liabilities big risk but we shall see what comes of that.

Ooooooof.

Shares of Valeant VRX -51.46% , one of the industry’s most widely-owned stocks, tumbled more than 50% on Tuesday to about $33 after saying it risked defaulting on its $30 billion debt.

Absolutely delighted to see this horrible company get destroyed. And Bill Ackman along with it? A cherry on top.
A company that was based around predatory pricing of drugs, charging (just one example) anywhere between $200 and $2,500 for a tube of Zovirax.... yes, the self same drug that you can buy in your local Irish pharmacy for a tenner.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-l ... olumn.html

Valeant was lauded by the usual financial lemmings (as above) and worshipped by duplicitous hedge fund guys like Ackman and Paulson.
If there's any justice, then zero will be too high a price for it.

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:59 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Daniel Plainview wrote:
Andy wrote:
Daniel Plainview wrote:
Andy wrote:

Reckon they're spot on re VRX too.

You think VRX equity is a good buy?

Yes, I think it has been oversold.
Decent fundamentals - 12x EV multiple but 5% cash tax rate, capex 3% of revenues, 4.0x interest coverage, FY 2015 P/E of 8.0x, F FY 2016 P/E 6.0x-7.0x.

Legal liabilities big risk but we shall see what comes of that.

Ooooooof.

Shares of Valeant VRX -51.46% , one of the industry’s most widely-owned stocks, tumbled more than 50% on Tuesday to about $33 after saying it risked defaulting on its $30 billion debt.

Absolutely delighted to see this horrible company get destroyed. And Bill Ackman along with it? A cherry on top.
A company that was based around predatory pricing of drugs, charging (just one example) anywhere between $200 and $2,500 for a tube of Zovirax.... yes, the self same drug that you can buy in your local Irish pharmacy for a tenner.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-l ... olumn.html

Valeant was lauded by the usual financial lemmings (as above) and worshipped by duplicitous hedge fund guys like Ackman and Paulson.
If there's any justice, then zero will be too high a price for it.

Bill Ackman really is living up to the part of the shepard who is leading the sheep to the slaughter on this, isn't he? It gets better though. Apparently redemptions forced Ackman to replace equity positions with option calls, which are cheaper to buy, but increase his exposure to any downward movements. I have little sympathy for him or any of his disciples though. Any company can hit trouble at some point, but when you have a company that just seems to lurch from crisis to crisis, there is clearly something structurally wrong. There's just so many red flags at this stage, I wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole.

1. The delay in submitting the annual report.
2. The restatement of earnings.
3. The Philidor scandal.
4. The massive leverage involed.
5. The SEC/Federal investigation.
6. The shoddy (unsustainable) business model.
7. The history of growth by acquisition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385  Next