Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kickbacks, waste and bogus orders costing CIE millions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Duisigh wrote:
Quote:
Traffic volumes in Dublin are at insane levels yet services are archaic, there's zero investment in Public Transport and fares are still being whacked up

wut ?

Luas to Cabra - BXD is being built RIGHT now.

Phoenix Park tunnel is being shored up RIGHT NOW for direct Kildare - Grand Canal Dock services to start soon , along with DASH2 resignalling

Dart services going to 10 min intervals , and extra commuter trains and so on.

that is off the top of my head on rail. Can we actually look at the facts before the bemoan or is that out of fashion

Fine if you live in a rail linked area - try getting a bus cross city and you''ll know all about it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:34 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I have buses every couple of mins - where I am, close to town. and in the last year or two the real time info has come on in leaps and bounds , also LEAP's been capped across a number of modes, majority of people are now leap based.

Where I used to live out in the sticks has now gone to 10 min service from zero, and is now cross-city as well

Town's currently fucked up because they are building out the public transport infrastructure.

Seriously .. again... if you have a definitive gripe against long term NTA capital investment in the number of buses , for example, or in the Swords busway which is coming - say so

You want to talk about PSO subsidies on air routes or what

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:54 am 
Too Big to Fail

Duisigh wrote:
I have buses every couple of mins - where I am, close to town. and in the last year or two the real time info has come on in leaps and bounds , also LEAP's been capped across a number of modes, majority of people are now leap based.

Where I used to live out in the sticks has now gone to 10 min service from zero, and is now cross-city as well

Town's currently fucked up because they are building out the public transport infrastructure.

Seriously .. again... if you have a definitive gripe against long term NTA capital investment in the number of buses , for example, or in the Swords busway which is coming - say so

You want to talk about PSO subsidies on air routes or what

You seem to be public transports white night but unfortunately most people don't agree with you. Try commuting from Rathmines or Kimmage to Blanchardstown by bus or even from Rathmines or Kimmage to park west by bus and you'll know all about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:46 am 
Of Systemic Importance

NegativeEquity wrote:
Try commuting from Rathmines or Kimmage to Blanchardstown by bus or even from Rathmines or Kimmage to park west by bus and you'll know all about it.

Isn't is normal for public transport to be arranged in a hub-spoke topology?

I'd be interested to know of other cities of comparable size where it's easy to get from one outer suburb to another "round the clock" (geometrically) by public transport.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Try commuting from Rathmines or Kimmage to Blanchardstown by bus or even from Rathmines or Kimmage to park west

Rathmines-Blanch : walk to Mespil, Get 39 bus
Kimmage - Parkwest walk to James's hospital or cycle, get 13 bus, short walk OR cycle to heuston, really quick train, really short walk - used to do Ranelagh - Parkwest but it was usually quicker cycling the canal if you are starting closer like Rathmines or Kimmage.

And my point is that people are banging on about zero investment in public transport without bothering to ascertain the facts cos dont let the facts get in the way of a good moan

For example -if you want to argue that LUAS BXD is a mare of a project start to finish, cos Metro North or Interconnector are actually far more strategic in the long view then thats a good argument for politically driven public transport projects and badly aimed investment - then thats a discussion perhaps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:11 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Duisigh wrote:
Try commuting from Rathmines or Kimmage to Blanchardstown by bus or even from Rathmines or Kimmage to park west

Kimmage - Parkwest walk to James's hospital or cycle, get 13 bus, short walk OR cycle to heuston, really quick train, really short walk - used to do Ranelagh - Parkwest but it was usually quicker cycling the canal if you are starting closer like Rathmines or Kimmage.

And my point is that people are banging on about zero investment in public transport without bothering to ascertain the facts cos dont let the facts get in the way of a good moan

For example -if you want to argue that LUAS BXD is a mare of a project start to finish, cos Metro North or Interconnector are actually far more strategic in the long view then thats a good argument for politically driven public transport projects and badly aimed investment - then thats a discussion perhaps

That's the point, it's frequently quicker to walk or cycle than to use a bus (or several buses), not to mention a lot cheaper.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:27 pm 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:
Try commuting from Rathmines or Kimmage to Blanchardstown by bus or even from Rathmines or Kimmage to park west by bus and you'll know all about it.

I'd be interested to know of other cities of comparable size where it's easy to get from one outer suburb to another "round the clock" (geometrically) by public transport.

I think that hub-spoke was the "old" model internationally, whereas the "new" model is to *gasp* built public transport along the routes people actually want to travel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Duisigh wrote:

Walk to James Hospital from Kimmage, a good 15/20 mins in pissing rain? Using walking and cycling as part of your answer above just shows how crap joined up public transport is in Dublin. But sure I must be completely wrong along with the thousands of others who clog up traffic in Dublin every day by using their cars instead of public transport.

Incidentally when I did live in Dublin I cycled everywhere - 2 weeks of trying to get places using public transport drove me insane, so in reality the crapness of it actually benefited me healthwise in teh long run.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Why is there no bus going along the M50? E.g Wicklow to Drogheda, stopping off at each junction on the way? For most M50 commuters there is no viable public transport alternative especially if they are going from a suburb to an industrial estate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:56 am 
Too Big to Fail

Eschatologist wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:

Seattle.

Best bus system of any mid sized city I've lived in. Exceptionally well designed network, comfortable buses, polite and considerate passengers.

Although they have started wasting huge amounts of money on light rail. Which means far less money for the buses.

But it did gives us the SLUT line. The South Lake Union Tram..

You too can visit Seattle and ride the SLUT. Tee-shirts are available.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:43 am 
Holiday Home Owner

Eschatologist wrote:
Isn't it normal for public transport to be arranged in a hub-spoke topology?

Singapore is pretty decent for connectivity using buses beyond the spoke/hub, but it is painfully slow.
Even at non rush hour, it takes about 40 minutes to go 10km. Bus stops are mostly 300m apart (some even closer) so 30+ stops in 10km. Cost is low (~ 50C for the shortest trips) and the heat / humidity is oppressive so people get on or off at almost every stop.
The smart card system links payment to the train rapid transit in an integrated payment system with the added journey economically added to your first connected trip.
Overall: a pretty good system but with limitations.

(Tokyo and big Japanese cities grow around the train stations: transport is so important that it drives commercial and accommodation development instead of the other way around.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:27 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Using walking and cycling as part of your answer above just shows how crap joined up public transport is in Dublin.
If you don't want to walk get the 54a or the 19 and join up that way then , or the 18 bus route doesnt run far from either end. I spent 10 years commuting to college and work from Knocklyon with one or two buses every day

Look you have a been in your bonnet about this. Do you want a bus route that joins D6W to every industrial estate perhaps

I ended up having to do a gig in parkwest some time ago , a short ride on a LUAS to Heuston and a quick train journey later , no there isn't a luas from D6W

the closest bus route is the 79a which still takes my vote , in all fairness , as a fun bus route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:30 am 
Too Big to Fail

Duisigh wrote:
Look you have a been in your bonnet about this.

For someone with an unvested interest you seem to know an awful lot about planned future transport infrastructure - anything to declare? Look if public transport is so good why are the roads of Dublin clogged with cars every day?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:33 am 
Of Systemic Importance

NegativeEquity wrote:
Look if public transport is so good why are the roads of Dublin clogged with cars every day?

Not today. And not last Friday either. In fact, Thurs and Fri the last couple of weeks have been empty on my commute.

Why? Xmas parties, so people who like to get pissed use other modes of transport. Many people only use their cars because they find it more pleasant to sit in their own private air conditioned box. It's not that there are no alternatives, it's that they don't like them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:39 am 
Too Big to Fail

Eschatologist wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:
Look if public transport is so good why are the roads of Dublin clogged with cars every day?

Not today. And not last Friday either. In fact, Thurs and Fri the last couple of weeks have been empty on my commute.

Why? Xmas parties, so people who like to get pissed use other modes of transport. Many people only use their cars because they find it more pleasant to sit in their own private air conditioned box. It's not that there are no alternatives, it's that they don't like them.

You didn't answer my first question - anything to declare?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next