Post subject: Re: Just sold a book for a lot of $... NEED SOME ADVICE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

SamG wrote:
Hello all. Been an admirer of this site for just over a year now. This is my first post...

Some background... I'm a writer with 3 kids. Moved back to Ireland in '05 from France and there was no way my wife would even consider buying (thank God for the "rent is NOT dead money" mindset of the French - I don't think I'd have held out if my wife had been Irish). We struggled throughout the Celtic Tiger years while I wrote my book (a sci fi spectacular).

Bottom line - I've just signed a contract with a major publisher and have received a cheque for $170,000 US. I've opened a $ account with AIB until I decide what to do with the money. We don't have any debts and have no intention of buying a house any time soon.

Should I change my money into Euro? Keep in $? Buy gold? I know this isn't a money advice website but I really respect the opinions and attitude of the posters on this site and would appreciate any advice you can offer me...

Sam, congratulations on the book deal.
Forget euros, dollars, gold. What you need to get into is flux capacitors.
You can now buy 'em cheaply on eBay and the demand for them has never been greater.
You also need to buy an old de Lorean car from the North.
Drive it down to the Dail and park outside.
There's a really bad situation going on down there, the whole government, and FF are literally stuck in the past, way back around 2005, they cannot move on! The clock above the Taoiseach's office hasn't worked for over FOUR YEARS!
What you've got to do ASAP is hook the flux capacitor up to the de Lorean's driveshaft, then rev the engine until the flux capacitor screams THIS ONE'S FOR NAMA! then shoots a thunderbolt right into the Dail on the stroke of midnight - this is the only way to wake up the TDs and bring them back to 2009!
Note: this idea might not make you any money, but at least it will improve your children's chances of having a future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:36 pm 
Property Magnate

Any advice?

Set up shop in a proper tax-haven.
Move the money off-shore.
Move the IP and licensing rights off-shore.
Follow with your family.

Or follow BoB's post supra.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:13 am 
Of Systemic Importance

elgreco wrote:
Any advice?

Set up shop in a proper tax-haven.
Move the money off-shore.
Move the IP and licensing rights off-shore.
Follow with your family.

Or follow BoB's post supra.

This is a proper tax haven for writers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:33 am 
Real Estate Developer

Inis Man wrote:
SamG wrote:
Hello all. Been an admirer of this site for just over a year now. This is my first post...

Some background... I'm a writer with 3 kids. Moved back to Ireland in '05 from France and there was no way my wife would even consider buying (thank God for the "rent is NOT dead money" mindset of the French - I don't think I'd have held out if my wife had been Irish). We struggled throughout the Celtic Tiger years while I wrote my book (a sci fi spectacular).

Bottom line - I've just signed a contract with a major publisher and have received a cheque for $170,000 US. I've opened a $ account with AIB until I decide what to do with the money. We don't have any debts and have no intention of buying a house any time soon.

Should I change my money into Euro? Keep in $? Buy gold? I know this isn't a money advice website but I really respect the opinions and attitude of the posters on this site and would appreciate any advice you can offer me...

Sam, congratulations on the book deal.
Forget euros, dollars, gold. What you need to get into is flux capacitors.
You can now buy 'em cheaply on eBay and the demand for them has never been greater.
You also need to buy an old de Lorean car from the North.
Drive it down to the Dail and park outside.
There's a really bad situation going on down there, the whole government, and FF are literally stuck in the past, way back around 2005, they cannot move on! The clock above the Taoiseach's office hasn't worked for over FOUR YEARS!
What you've got to do ASAP is hook the flux capacitor up to the de Lorean's driveshaft, then rev the engine until the flux capacitor screams THIS ONE'S FOR NAMA! then shoots a thunderbolt right into the Dail on the stroke of midnight - this is the only way to wake up the TDs and bring them back to 2009!
Note: this idea might not make you any money, but at least it will improve your children's chances of having a future.

No he can't, I just bought the last one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:54 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Sam G,
HAve a look at the latest post on the TRUE state of the US economy -not what you see on the TV,read about in the papers,
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16562&p=319601#p319601.

The US and the UK are bankrupt,no amount of weasel words can get around the fact that their economy's cannot ever hope to pay back the mindboggling debts both their governemnts and citizens have run up,the governments of both countries have,as you will no doubt be aware,chosen to bail out the banks which have brought their respective economies to their knees with taxpayers money,thereby sending government borrowing in each country into the stratosphere.

THere will be only one way out for both countries and that is money printing and a huge devaluation of the currency as a result.I personally believe the dollar and sterling will lose in the region of 50% of their value in the next decade;the pound will eventually be replaced by the Euro after its devaluation.

Think of it what you will,I'm no economist or forex trader,there might be rallies between now and then but the long term trend is down-see my posts on the long term decline of the pound over the last 100 years,and the dollar since the formation of the Federal Reserve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:56 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
PROFESSORI wrote:
Think of it what you will, I'm no economist or forex trader

Can I frame this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:39 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

2 bed apt in Antibes, 'assured heart stroke', what's not to like??

https://www.green-acres.fr/en/propertie ... 373016.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:31 pm 
Nationalised

Inis Man wrote:
2 bed apt in Antibes, 'assured heart stroke', what's not to like??

https://www.green-acres.fr/en/propertie ... 373016.htm

A little lower and I'm sold. :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 am 
Real Estate Developer

Do people still get 170k advances on sci Fi books or any books in 2018?

I was surprised and then I saw the date.