Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apple Products
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:04 pm 
Nationalised

Apple Loses A7/A8 Patent Lawsuit, Could Owe University of Wisconsin Up to $862 Million

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:21 am 
Nationalised

For all my historical moaning, I've found myself fully adopting the latest OS and iOS recently and I have to say I'm immensely happy. It seems the legacy hardware and software has been very well managed and supported in the latest OS X iteration and the whole lot working with the latest in OS's is benefiting from a bit of maturity, from what was seen as a bit of a shaky new direction or expansion of services and hardware.

I guess my slow adopter strategy pays off... slowly. 8)

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:27 am 
Nationalised

I, on the other hand, got left behind with my non-upgradeable iPhone 4, which I never plan to replace. I used to have a clutch of Macs, a long, long time ago. Now one lonely iPad is all that separates me from an Apple-free existence. Curiously -- and I never thought I'd hear myself say this -- I'm quite enjoying Windoze 10. If I ever really need to run Apple software, it hosts a Hackintosh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:43 am 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
I, on the other hand, got left behind with my non-upgradeable iPhone 4, which I never plan to replace. I used to have a clutch of Macs, a long, long time ago. Now one lonely iPad is all that separates me from an Apple-free existence. Curiously -- and I never thought I'd hear myself say this -- I'm quite enjoying Windoze 10.

You're off topic... well kinda... BD

iPhone 4 was released in 2010 and for comparison the Samsung Galaxy II was released in 2011. You'll find support also wanting for the later. I'm not sure that is unusual. The phone still works right?

iPhone 4s and beyond are compatible with iOS9 which is probably more than very good in comparison to many older android handsets of similar vintage actually being able to enjoy the latest version of Android which I would imagine is negligible.

I had a recent and modern enough Samsung Android handset but the update to the current Android took so long I gave up. I'd had enough, I wasn't too happy with the hardware and reliability of the phone, yes it was marvellous in comparison to my previous SII but it wasn't exactly always as good and since it's been updated it's still suffering same problems which must be hardware related.

Whereas the experience on the iPhone 6s has been something I hadn't expected. It's a bit like when I got my first iMac back in 2008 after 3 days I was regretting not switching sooner but I'm happy now.

Funnily enough my retina iPad is my least favourite Apple device and least used also. This is why I held of switching sooner to Phone I was so underwhelmed by the iPad and iOS7+ but it made me wait and I like this station. I've had a look a the new lighter iPads and they are much nicer to hold, the iPad3 should be interesting and the iPad Pro is fantastic development.

I could be wrong but the impression I get is El Capitan may work on lot more of the older hardware than previous OS X versions of recent years. I was actually amazed how quickly it installed on a 6 year old macbook pro, however it's SSD'd & RAM'd up to the max. I was moving from Snow Leopard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:15 am 
Nationalised

I do love my iPad. I swanned through four years of college without reading a single paper book because of it. But I think there could/should be better and cheaper. Why is Apple so damn expensive? I have a habit of knackering laptops ... I average one a year. I really want that to be a $500 PC and not a $1000 Mac. Also, I've just been worn down by the Windoze interface so long, I've gotten to used to it.

And no, I don't think four years of support for the iPhone4 is good, I think it's crap. Even my music hardware lasted longer than that, before the lack of an updated PC driver rendered several grand's worth of digital mixing desk a fully operable useless pile of junk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:50 am 
Of Systemic Importance

As someone who has had a few iPod Nanos but never an iMac or iPad, etc, I'm not really in the loop on Apple. What products are actually coming down stream to keep Apple's profits increasing?

Various new versions on iPhones aren't really going to do it. The iWatch is a terrible idea imo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:51 am 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
I do love my iPad. I swanned through four years of college without reading a single paper book because of it. But I think there could/should be better and cheaper. Why is Apple so damn expensive? I have a habit of knackering laptops ... I average one a year. I really want that to be a $500 PC and not a $1000 Mac. Also, I've just been worn down by the Windoze interface so long, I've gotten to used to it.

I was of this mindset until one day. Then I bought an iMac, then I bought a macbook, then another macbook, then another and some more macs... they all still work, all varying g models and all old now. Even my own 2010 MBP that I picked up second hand, already used and abused is still going. That's the difference. My first windows laptop didn't last 2/3years and I'm relatively safe with tech items. It's the only device that ever broke on my that I can remember.

Quote:
And no, I don't think four years of support for the iPhone4 is good, I think it's crap. Even my music hardware lasted longer than that, before the lack of an updated PC driver rendered several grand's worth of digital mixing desk a fully operable useless pile of junk.

When you say support you mean compatible updates to the the phones OS right, as in iOS?

The iPhone 4 is nearly 6 years old and had you a iPhone 4s you'd be in the ok camp.

The phone was still relatively new device to the market, things including security concerns move so fast now. It's reasonable they might leave support at version 7 of iOS for a device that's in single digits. Granted it's not ideal but it's rapacious. The consumer and companies learn at a fast rate. You've never seen anything like this is previous development cycles with such mass consumed items. While you might be able to transpose OS support cycles the duration significantly shorter. That's a guess but your music hardware kind of proves my point. You like stats... XD

https://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 am 
Nationalised

TheJackal wrote:
As someone who has had a few iPod Nanos but never an iMac or iPad, etc, I'm not really in the loop on Apple. What products are actually coming down stream to keep Apple's profits increasing?

Various new versions on iPhones aren't really going to do it. The iWatch is a terrible idea imo

iPad Pro is again market leading to my eye but was a very obvious iteration of the iPad format.

They are also pushing their own cpu architecture to power all this iOS devices. Achieving serious gains against similar mobile intel products and not being held to development cycle ransom by a third party as such, whereas in the desktop and macbook ranges they have to wait for intel updates causing delays.

The iWatch was an obvious idea. Not necessarily terrible and was going to happen. I'm not too interested in it myself but that does not mean there are no others will find it useful. Many other manufactures are making similar device and before the iPhone.

One thing about Apple devices they have seriously good commercial applications potential but it never seems to get to that point because so many of those players are in the PC based market. I really think the commercial application of their hardware may be undervalued. I think IBM made a switch recently.

What apple did was made these kind of products and technology utilising the utility of the internet accessible to people who would never had touched a computer.

I've spent a lot of time reviewing interviews with Steve Jobs post his death. I never gave him the much attention but knew the name since I was a kid. I've considerably more admiration for his outlook for many reasons. Many people suggest he held a lot of the projects back. It may be so to some case but i don't think it's actually completely true. I'm sure it free'd up some space for other to expand their internal domain with some notable exits by various key figures.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 pm 
Nationalised

Maybe time to change your passcode to alphanumeric on iOS devices to avoid this security flaw in iOS to get past the lock screen leveraging a Siri feature.

iOS 9 security flaw grants unrestricted access to Photos and Contacts - http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/09/23/ios-9-security-flaw-grants-unrestricted-access-to-photos-and-contacts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:25 pm 
Nationalised

Open Window wrote:
iOS 9 security flaw grants unrestricted access to Photos and Contacts - http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/09/23/ios-9-security-flaw-grants-unrestricted-access-to-photos-and-contacts

Hey no problem. Apple can just unleash the "BRICK" command on that one too. Sorted. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:25 am 
Nationalised

Meanwhile back at the farm... or is it Ghost estates to be turned into Data Centres?

Quote:
"The proposed development is located in an unserviced rural area on lands outside of any settlement and which are not the subject of any specific development objective. It is considered that the applicant has not adequately addressed the issue of site location and the alternatives considered prior to selecting the proposed site," one section of the letter reads.

...Although local government officials greenlit the data center in September, environmental activists appealed, putting the project on pause. An Bord Pleanála was brought in for an independent review, and was originally expected to make a decision this month but might not do so until May.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/02/ ... ata-center

8DD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:00 am 
Nationalised

Grand theatre or a real stand off we should all be concerned about?

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — Apple said on Wednesday that it would oppose and challenge a federal court order to help the F.B.I. unlock an iPhone used by one of the two attackers who killed 14 people in San Bernardino, Calif., in December.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/te ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:06 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Open Window wrote:
Grand theatre or a real stand off we should all be concerned about?

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — Apple said on Wednesday that it would oppose and challenge a federal court order to help the F.B.I. unlock an iPhone used by one of the two attackers who killed 14 people in San Bernardino, Calif., in December.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/te ... .html?_r=0

What the FBI specifically wants is not a backdoor, but Apple to produce an IOS update for the device that unwinds the protections. I think their reservations are well founded.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 pm 
Nationalised

Sold their Billionth iPhone last week.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:00 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Any new Apple product rumours? Seems to have gone quiet on the innovation front since Jobs death.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank