Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's with the tech sector?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:05 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

AWAAF wrote:
Any pointers for an experienced programmer returning to the workforce looking for 3-6 months work in app development.

Find a recruiter who isn't a total spa'.

I can PM you a couple if you're Dublin based.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Eschatologist wrote:
AWAAF wrote:
Any pointers for an experienced programmer returning to the workforce looking for 3-6 months work in app development.

Find a recruiter who isn't a total spa'.

I can PM you a couple if you're Dublin based.

Please do Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Any word on HP in Ireland? What's the line on Intel lately? I had heard things were supposed to slow down construction wise with Israeli engineers coming over. Intel have put a seriouse bid into rental market in North Kildare the last 18 months.

Everyone has forgotten what it was like when these giants slowed down and pulled back.

Then struts around like it won.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:38 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

ixus wrote:
Any word on HP in Ireland? What's the line on Intel lately? I had heard things were supposed to slow down construction wise with Israeli engineers coming over. Intel have put a seriouse bid into rental market in North Kildare the last 18 months.

Everyone has forgotten what it was like when these giants slowed down and pulled back.

For Intel at least, they've invested a few billion dollars in Leixlip in the last couple of years, & all the construction is more or less done, & they'll be manufacturing their latest processors there. So as a location, its' in good nick for the next 4-5 years at least.

"Mr Kelly said Ireland’s “reputational capital” had been damaged by “chancers” such as ex-Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick, who had been abetted by “buffoons” such as former financial regulator Patrick Neary, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Taoiseach." - Irish Times 13th Jan 2009

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." (Catherine Aird)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:15 pm 
Homeless

Re the tech sector, looks like demand is increasing: http://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/11 ... -last-year . I wonder how much of that is new positions and how much is generated by people moving around (since that could increase that 15% number as well).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:44 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

We're hiring software engineers. Or should I say attempting to hire. There seem to be very few techies out there actually looking for a job. Id say out of 20 applications Ive had, about 10 of them are living in Ireland and out of those 10 about 8 are have been in ireland for a couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:56 pm 
Old Time Landlord

I was told yesterday that my contract renewal is not certain (10 weeks left), so I brushed up the CV, fired it off to 2 recruiters and one of them had an interview lined up 20 hours later - long may it last. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:02 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

rebelbuttmunch wrote:
We're hiring software engineers. Or should I say attempting to hire. There seem to be very few techies out there actually looking for a job. Id say out of 20 applications Ive had, about 10 of them are living in Ireland and out of those 10 about 8 are have been in ireland for a couple of years.

How many years of residence is required to be decent software engineer?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:51 pm 
Too Big to Fail

September wrote:
rebelbuttmunch wrote:

How many years of residence is required to be decent software engineer?

For the recruiters, it's not just about whether you're any good, as much as whether you're both any good and likely to stick around. Hiring is an expensive business. If you moved here five years ago, did a one year job and are since in another Irish one for four years, you're a safer bet than if you arrived in October 2013 and have had only one job since then. In the latter case, they'll suspect that the shine is starting to wear off and you're searching the recruitment pages, not just in Ireland, but anywhere. Two years is a short term expedient. After five to ten, inertia is starting to set in.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:07 am 
Too Big to Fail

In actual fact there is a ton of dross in the tech jobs out there. Everyone is competing for the same pool of talent but refusing to make any effort to differentiate in the job or the compensation ( and I except the majors like Google and FB as they can pick and choose to a large extent. ) There is a huge amount of head in sand as you have to wonder what the best talent is doing .because there is huge money going in London or Bay area. When you hear " we pay market rate" all I hear is a rush for the exit as average people will all you will meet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:39 am 
Under CAB Investigation

ixus wrote:

Well, news from last night must have a lot of people very worried. 12,000 jobs globally (11% of workforce) and a shift of focus to the Cloud and Internet of BS ( I mean Things).

Had heard the Israeli engineers were finishing up and heading home in Summer.

Any knowledgeable information on how the change of direction affects various Irish locations? A loss of 2/400 highly paid engineers in North Kildare would have a significant affect on market.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

A blast from the past..

Its our old friends at Autonomy and their multi-bllion dollar fraud...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autonomy-hp-crime-idUSKBN1362FK

A Federal fraud indictment..

Quote:
The former chief financial officer of British software company Autonomy has been indicted on U.S. charges of engaging in a fraudulent scheme to deceive investors and Hewlett Packard (HPE.N) about his firm's performance before its sale in 2011.

Sushovan Hussain, a UK resident who was Autonomy's CFO at the time of its $11 billion acquisition by HP, was charged in an indictment filed on Thursday in federal court in San Francisco with conspiracy and wire fraud.

The indictment alleged that beginning in October 2009, Hussain and others sought to deceive Autonomy's investors and HP about the company's performance, financial condition and prospects for growth.

The scheme had several objectives, the indictment said, including to artificially increase and maintain Autonomy's share price to make the company attractive to potential buyers like HP.

Some context...from almost exactly 5 years ago in Oct, 2011...

jmc wrote:
flash wrote:
slasher wrote:
yeah, because Ellison is a trustworthy individual with no agenda and no axe to grind with HP

:roll:

+1000

If jmc can't see what's going on here, I'm sure not going to spell it out for him.

I wonder if he'll have the grace to congratulate me when the deal goes through?

Eh... surprise, surprise..Autonomy was being shopped around hard before they found a sucker to bite. Lynch spouts off in public and Oracle slaps him down with the sales spiel from earlier in the year. So why did Lynch feel the need to say in public they were not being shopped? Deal falling apart?

Ellison is a complete bastard. But a bastard one could do business with if you have your shit together. If not, expect to be utterly destroyed with no quarter given.

I'll take a salesman killing machine over a blowhard spoofer any day. Turns out Lynch is another Kevin O'Leary after all.

Come back in 5 years time and we'll talk about who was right or wrong. That's how long it generally takes situations like this to fully play out. Lots of precedent. You'd know that if you actually knew the history of the business. But with Apotheker gone and no real support for the deal inside HP expect the lawsuits to start sooner rather than later. And they tend to run for years and years. Got to give those lawyers something to do.

If I were Lynch I'd be worried that manipulation of stock price by fraud opens him up to a RICO. It does not matter where the stock was traded if it involve US domiciled subsidiaries. It just needs one Fed DA to get interested in the subject and pretty soon Lynch may find himself behind bars. Just ask Michael Milken how those RICO lawsuits play out. Very nasty beasts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:17 am 
Under CAB Investigation

ixus wrote:

HP going:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0207/850896 ... t-packard/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 am 
Under CAB Investigation

500 gone over next 12 months. So that's Intel and HP in North Kildare cutting nearly 1,000 jobs.

Small open economy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:18 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Carried out some work in there about 2 years ago so would know some of the staff. Anyone I talked to at the time were contract workers so I assume redundancy won't be a cushion for a lot of them. :(

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next