Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
 Post subject: Re: Pubs going bust
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:24 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

tulip wrote:
The Wright venue is no loss but I've been in the Long Stone many a time sad to see it go.

Yeah but its not gone bust, it was sold for development

its a pity to see old pubs being knocked down but on the upside we also lose the Department of Health building, a building so ugly it makes me sick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

demographics dictates we dont need as many pubs as we had from 1997 to 2005. I find it interesting that Una Mulally bemoans the diminishing dublin nightlife scene, but there arent as many 20-30 year olds around as there used to be 15 years ago

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:24 pm 
Neo Landlord

The Long Stone is not 200 years old - it was built in the 90s. There was a pub there before, but it was a different building and it wasn't called the Long Stone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:48 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

shweeney wrote:
The Long Stone is not 200 years old - it was built in the 90s. There was a pub there before, but it was a different building and it wasn't called the Long Stone.

I used to drink in the previous pub after movies in the Screen. The pub had a family name (can't remember what it was) but the locals called it the Long Stone (I always assumed it was a dope connection and found it quite funny in the way that you do when you are a student). It was a long narrow bar and I think the original building was still there and the new long stone was built in front of the original.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Thing Fish wrote:
demographics dictates we dont need as many pubs as we had from 1997 to 2005. I find it interesting that Una Mulally bemoans the diminishing dublin nightlife scene, but there arent as many 20-30 year olds around as there used to be 15 years ago

I would have said there are more 20-30 year olds rather than less. Two things have impacted the pubs - the ethnic backgrounds of most of that population is either non-drinking (particularly Indians) or slow-drinking (continental Europeans) - the getting shit-faced Irish level of drinking is only attained by Eastern Europeans; secondly people do not have the same level of disposable income after rent, saving for deposits etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank