Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 343  Next
 Post subject: Giz a job / You're sacked! - Jobs / Redundancy watch...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:09 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
- 23,684 redundancies in 2006 show no room for complacency.

- Economy lost 450 jobs every week in 2006.

- Services Industry hardest hit with 7,425 redundancies in 2006.

- 40% of all jobs lost are in Dublin.

- 59% of all job losses suffered by males.

http://www.sfa.ie/Sectors/SFA/SFADoclib ... enDocument

Blue Horseshoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:26 am 
Back Home with Mammy

Heres probably this weeks first 350 casualties

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ ... e_id=15183

Thats over a 1000 jobs gone or soon to be gone in County Cork in 5 weeks or so

Drip , drip, drip - Ah well iat least we can all get jobs building houses and shopping centres

Post subject: SB Post - A week of job jitters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:05 pm 
Too Big to Fail

[quote]
O’Hara, the Intel Ireland general manager, described last week’s announcement as an example of ‘‘the changing face’’ of the Irish economy.

‘‘As Ireland transitions into a knowledge-based economy, there are difficulties in some sectors and opportunities in others,â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:08 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Dell warns cutbacks are on the way

Only a matter of days after returning as chief executive of computer giant Dell, Michael Dell has told workers that cutbacks are coming.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0206/dell.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
I think we'll move this into the Central Bank thread, as it's more a general economy thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:28 pm 
First Time Buyer

crashandburn wrote:

Only a matter of days after returning as chief executive of computer giant Dell, Michael Dell has told workers that cutbacks are coming.

This may be true but i have just been informed by a mate of mine who works in dell that the limerick factory has the cheapest manufacturing cost per pc for dell worldwide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:04 pm 
Nationalised

Holding On wrote:
crashandburn wrote:

This may be true but i have just been informed by a mate of mine who works in dell that the limerick factory has the cheapest manufacturing cost per pc for dell worldwide

To an extent this is true, however a company like Dell is always looking to shave a few more cents of the cost of production. The move to Poland will allow them to cut costs further. The net effect will not be the closure of the Limerick plant but the scaling back and halt to any future growth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:02 pm 
First Time Buyer

Green Bear wrote:

To an extent this is true, however a company like Dell is always looking to shave a few more cents of the cost of production. The move to Poland will allow them to cut costs further. The net effect will not be the closure of the Limerick plant but the scaling back and halt to any future growth.

The plant in poland is being setup to supply the growing eastern european market. The plant in ireland is needed to supply the UK and beyond. Thats not to say there may or may not be job cuts but this what i am being told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:06 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
Holding On wrote:
The plant in poland is being setup to supply the growing eastern european market. The plant in ireland is needed to supply the UK and beyond. Thats not to say there may or may not be job cuts but this what i am being told.

Reading between the lines there Holding On, it doesn't look good. It can't be that expensive or time consuming to ship PCs from Poland to the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:10 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Pfizer cut 500 jobs in Cork.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=209746246&p=zx974695z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:21 pm 
Property Magnate

Duplex wrote:

The following text from an article on the Examiner
"Opposition TDs are blaming the losses on the Government's failure to control rising costs for industries that are harming Ireland's competitiveness. "

If they could only muster the courage and admit that this is because of our crazy house prices we could then at least start thinking of ways to address this awful situation from deteriorating further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:28 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

bedsit wrote:
Duplex wrote:

"Opposition TDs are blaming the losses on the Government's failure to control rising costs for industries that are harming Ireland's competitiveness. "

If they could only muster the courage and admit that this is because of our crazy house prices we could then at least start thinking of ways to address this awful situation from deteriorating further.

True
In the new global economy rampant house price inflation is like beating yourself over the head with an iron bar repeadedly and at length before stepping into the ring for a fight. Though it should be said that Pfizer had lost many lucrative brands of late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:34 pm 
Too Big to Fail

bedsit wrote:
Duplex wrote:

Key point in Pfizer case:

RTE wrote:
Late last year, the company was forced to abandon plans to produce a new anti-cholesterol drug, torcetrapib at a plant at Ringaskiddy in County Cork which had been built at a cost of $90m. The company spent $800m developing the drug.

With respect to the bandwagon hoppers - an indication of what they would do to control said costs, eg, price controls would make their yammering a bit more credible.

The question is - how many of our work force are actively doing the maths versus quality of life/cost of living/stress....I know I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:00 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Very good comment over at Finfacts

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusiness ... 9014.shtml

I see my company is mentioned yet again as on its way - it all started sunday with the below article

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story ... qqqx=1.asp

Frankly its been hillarious since then - the head honcos are away at a trade fair all week - wise move - the senior managment remaining said it was just a stunt to put the wind up Enterprise Ireland and the Gov to get the finger out - The Boss man has been commenting on declining competitiveness since 2000 - yet again this morning on Newstalk I hear we're defintely moving to the Far East - and nobody upstairs is commenting on it.

Well, All I Know is that I have work (Firm orders ) until August - after that all bets are off . I thinK there is a perfect storm arising for those of us in the Semi-con , computer industry here - declining competitiveness , a strengthing Euro in a dollar denominated business, a cyclical downturn in the industry which has never fully recovered from the Dotcom meltdown in 2000 and raging competition coming from the Far East

Was looKing at some of the recruitment sites this morning - it is noticeable that over the last 5 months positions in my field (operations, logistics and planning ) have dropped off to nothing - if I want to stay here in Ireland its looKing liKe the public sector for me - time to start brushing up for those tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:00 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Ed wrote:
Very good comment over at Finfacts

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusiness ... 9014.shtml

I see my company is mentioned yet again as on its way - it all started sunday with the below article

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story ... qqqx=1.asp

Frankly its been hillarious since then - the head honcos are away at a trade fair all week - wise move - the senior managment remaining said it was just a stunt to put the wind up Enterprise Ireland and the Gov to get the finger out - The Boss man has been commenting on declining competitiveness since 2000 - yet again this morning on Newstalk I hear we're defintely moving to the Far East - and nobody upstairs is commenting on it.

Well, All I Know is that I have work (Firm orders ) until August - after that all bets are off . I thinK there is a perfect storm arising for those of us in the Semi-con , computer industry here - declining competitiveness , a strengthing Euro in a dollar denominated business, a cyclical downturn in the industry which has never fully recovered from the Dotcom meltdown in 2000 and raging competition coming from the Far East

Was looKing at some of the recruitment sites this morning - it is noticeable that over the last 5 months positions in my field (operations, logistics and planning ) have dropped off to nothing - if I want to stay here in Ireland its looKing liKe the public sector for me - time to start brushing up for those tests.

A pity that even Irish tech firms are considering relocation to low cost locations Ed. Please keep us posted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 343  Next