Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343  Next
 Post subject: Re: Giz a job / You're sacked! - Jobs / Redundancy watch...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:51 pm 
Property Magnate

dman56 wrote:
In the new global economy rampant house price inflation is like beating yourself over the head with an iron bar repeadedly and at length before stepping into the ring for a fight.

Great synopsis. The problems of the irish economy since 1996 in a paragraph. One should almost write it on their hand to be used at will wherever political/economic subjects are discussed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

TheJackal wrote:
Deloitte to create 638 positions across Island of Ireland

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/econ ... -1.1923105

I hate when Big Four jobs announcements are made. Mainly because they are simply replacing recently qualified staff (whose 3/3.5 year contracts have ended and will not be kept on as they don't want to pay the 50K p.a.) with cheaper graduates on 21-23K p.a.

Quote:
Deloitte, the professional services group, is to expand its operation across the island by creating 338 new roles in the North and 100 new positions plus 200 graduate opportunities in the South.

It also intends to create 100 under-graduate roles including co-operative work place programmes and summer internships in the Republic over the coming year.

By my maths, this makes 738 not 638! Poorly explained article. Perhaps they are (correctly) not counting the 100 work placements and internships, which for the most part are unpaid and all of which are temporary.

At most it's 100 new positions in the Republic. The 200 graduates are replacing the newly qualified, as I eluded to above

Only thing I'd add is where are the qualified's going?

Into industry or other practices (where you don't have to work till 9 at night or stuck down the country in hotels) i'd assume so overall the net workforce is increasing one way or another.

There is a ridiculous number of jobs advertised for accountants at present - I could possibly get 10 interviews in next few days if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm 
Property Magnate

kennyb3 wrote:

Into industry or other practices (where you don't have to work till 9 at night or stuck down the country in hotels) i'd assume so overall the net workforce is increasing one way or another.

Many of the jobs are going to accounting service centres. We are english speaking, with relatively good education. A lot of people, the accentures and Kerrys of this world, have decided to put their accounting functions for EMEA into Ireland.

There are many funds resident in Ireland, and those financials get produced in Ireland. Mind numbing stuff. mediocre pay.

kennyb3 wrote:
There is a ridiculous number of jobs advertised for accountants at present - I could possibly get 10 interviews in next few days if needed.

A lot of jobs, and there are a lot of recruiters who get 25% of the starting salaries. But many of those jobs are pure rubbish. And once you start working out the career path, and that the salaries won't buy a semi decent house, unless you are married to another accountant, which happens a lot, then it doesn't make sense economically for a life of boring. Or not for me anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm 
Property Magnate

Accountancy jobs like that have become little more than jacked up call centres for excel jockeys.

Coincides with the push in the accountancy bodies to dumb things down in pursuit of big memberships.

Still by the time you gear yourself to the back teeth with btl debt for that nice little earner that turns sour, you can always give dave hall a call.

Me. I'd prefer if we all worked a 15 hour week by now as keynes predicted, rather than keep up the charades.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:09 am 
Under CAB Investigation

macannrb wrote:
kennyb3 wrote:

Many of the jobs are going to accounting service centres. We are english speaking, with relatively good education. A lot of people, the accentures and Kerrys of this world, have decided to put their accounting functions for EMEA into Ireland.

There are many funds resident in Ireland, and those financials get produced in Ireland. Mind numbing stuff. mediocre pay.

What is mediocre about the pay?

Most of account/financial accountant/audit senior headed jobs are €50k plus jobs.

There are many assistant manager/manager jobs too.

Of course there is some company's offering €30-35k to qualified accountants but you hardly have to go down that route with 330 (non agency jobs) listed here alone (http://www.irishjobs.ie/ShowResults.asp ... r=5&Page=3)

A whole 3 of those jobs are kerry emea and 1 for accenture - emea comes up in the search as 20 of them in total btw.

macannrb wrote:
kennyb3 wrote:

A lot of jobs, and there are a lot of recruiters who get 25% of the starting salaries. But many of those jobs are pure rubbish. And once you start working out the career path, and that the salaries won't buy a semi decent house, unless you are married to another accountant, which happens a lot, then it doesn't make sense economically for a life of boring. Or not for me anyway.
[/quote]

I wouldn't even bother my hole looking at 'recruiter' jobs.

Plenty of decent salaries here
https://leinster.charteredaccountants.i ... 202014.pdf

You just have to not be a lazy dope, with no motivation for career progression. €70k - €100k per annum is a realistic possibility for most.

Last edited by kennyb3 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:10 am 
Under CAB Investigation

the liquidator wrote:
Accountancy jobs like that have become little more than jacked up call centres for excel jockeys.

Coincides with the push in the accountancy bodies to dumb things down in pursuit of big memberships.

I'd imagine that's a lot more to do with paying for their fancy buildings and outrageous salaries.

And the current price of houses is hardly a good valuation to work back from.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:50 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Fidelity Investments 200 jobs Dublin
Supermac’s 100 jobs M18, Co. Clare. 75 temporary construction jobs will also be created as it proceeds with plans to develop a new motorways services area on the M18.
Aldi 25 jobs in the Elysian in Cork city and the reopening of its Longford store.
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/fina ... -1.2034046

Amazon - datacenter technicians, software engineers and customer support staff, 300 jobs Dublin
Calypso Technology 150 jobs Dublin
The City Bin Co 30 jobs Dublin
Zomato 40 jobs Dublin
Element Six 30 jobs Shannon
Iceland Foods Ireland 32 jobs Waterford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 11167.html

In Tullamore as far as I remember O2 and Three outlets are right beside each other so even though locations have been announced I'd expect that is one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:55 pm 
Too Big to Fail

EBay silent on possible job cuts in Ireland

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/reta ... -1.2075349

Not surprising, EBay has really gone to the dogs over the last decade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:25 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

NegativeEquity wrote:
EBay has really gone to the dogs over the last decade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Eschatologist wrote:
NegativeEquity wrote:
EBay has really gone to the dogs over the last decade

From a user's pov.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:15 am 
Too Big to Fail

INM journalists briefed on job losses

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/medi ... -1.2089702

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:09 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Ladbrokes seeks High Court protection from creditors

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/ret ... -1.2183730

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Nearly a quarter between loss announcements!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:07 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

AWAAF wrote:
Nearly a quarter between loss announcements!

Thousands of jobs were announced in that same period, I read of 130 today alone. Amazing how people on here seem to have an aversion to posting good news

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them" (G B Shaw)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343  Next