Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305 ... 311  Next
 Post subject: Re: Britain leaving the European Union.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:41 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Open Window wrote:
Here is a question: How is it that Trump can strike up bi-laterals across the world and the UK can't do same in preparation of a change world or did I miss something?

What's the impediment?

The first trade deal he trashed was the TPP, it's members had been working on it for nearly a decade. China has swooped into the bloc building vacuum in the Pacific. Thanks to Trump's tariffs Ford are saying that USA steel is now the most expensive in the world.

Brexit hasn't even happened yet and a friend living in the Netherlands tells me that in the last year Irish beef has surpassed British beef on supermarket shelves there. The UK had the best trade deal with the world's largest trade bloc. It's opted for something inferior.

Brexit and Trump have one thing in common, Babyboomers.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 pm 
Homeless

Has anyone been to the Government's Brexit Ready roadshows reference to by Sky's Faisal Islam?

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-it ... t-11532116

Islam is quite positive about the information provided and financial support for businesses but he is using Ireland's preparations to contrast with the UK Government's lack of any planning. It's hard to tell if the roadshows are serious affairs or just for optics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:27 am 
Nationalised

https://havewegotafuckingtradedealyet.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:56 am 
Private Tenant

ps200306 wrote:

Very good. So May's embarrassing neo colonial tour and epileptic fit/dancing didn't deliver any results?. Her incompetence knows no (trade) barriers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:03 am 
IMF'd

ps200306 wrote:

:lol:

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:13 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
The European Union and the British government are “very close” to reaching a deal on the Irish border that will pave the way for a Brexit withdrawal agreement, Tánaiste Simon Coveney and Theresa May’s de facto deputy prime minister have said.
Mr Coveney and David Lidington, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, said a Brexit withdrawal agreement was “very close”.
The pair were speaking after a meeting of the British-Irish Intergovernmental Conference in Dublin which was also attended by Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan and Northern Ireland secretary Karen Bradley.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3684517

It's pretty inevitable since last December that the entire UK will remain aligned with us. She'll always be able to blame the DUP for that.

Lidington is Mays right hand man, has stood in for her in PM question time so there'll be no David Davies type backtracking; whatever is proposed will stick.

Other rumours suggest the PM will put a backstop proposal to her cabinet on Tuesday in a "take it or I wake and one of you clean up the mess" deal.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 pm 
Private Tenant

In the event of a no Brexit deal, i assume the vultures will circle and start to target the weak links in the UK, Ireland and EU
Namely the banks as well as other highly exposed /leveraged sectors. Would some of the food companies etc be targeted?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 pm 
Too Big to Fail

propertyspire wrote:
In the event of a no Brexit deal, i assume the vultures will circle and start to target the weak links in the UK, Ireland and EU
Namely the banks as well as other highly exposed /leveraged sectors. Would some of the food companies etc be targeted?

I'm not sure what you mean, as it is Irish agri companies already target UK businesses for post-Brexit operations. Irish agri companies have already spread beyond the EU.

As it stands the UK territories account for half the world tax havens, it's literally their second empire. But without the UK to protect them after next March expect to see the EU to turn the screws as had happened with Switzerland.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Devastating column by Ian Dunt of Politics.co.uk

The crux of it is that if hardcore Brexit champs really believed what they've been saying for years about free-trade deals, the future UK-EU relationship and how technology can solve the Irish border problem, they wouldn't be at all troubled by the backstop. But by agreeing to the backstop in December, the UK has called its own bluff (or exposed hardliners, perhaps).
Quote:
There was then a monstrous panic attack when people realised what this entailed, which was a trading border down the Irish Sea. It was a telling moment, because it answered the vexing question of whether Tory Brexiters were idiots or liars.

If they were idiots, they would have accepted the backstop. After all, it only applied if all the solutions they'd spent the previous year defending did not work. If they were really confident about them, they'd have signed up that very day. But they didn't. They condemned it. Because they were not idiots. They were liars.

It reminds me a bit of a blog by Chris Grey - who is more detailed and academic, but same point. The backstop is only needed if it turns out there is a fundamental contradiction between the commitments to avoiding a hard border, having access to EU markets and striking bold new trade deals with third countries. Brexiteers say these things can all be achieved - yet they are the ones most freaked out about the backstop.

It's like expressing total confidence in your ability to walk a tightrope but arguing about the colour of a safety net that circus owner insists on for insurance purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Ixelles wrote:
Devastating column by Ian Dunt of Politics.co.uk

The crux of it is that if hardcore Brexit champs really believed what they've been saying for years about free-trade deals, the future UK-EU relationship and how technology can solve the Irish border problem, they wouldn't be at all troubled by the backstop. But by agreeing to the backstop in December, the UK has called its own bluff (or exposed hardliners, perhaps).
Quote:
There was then a monstrous panic attack when people realised what this entailed, which was a trading border down the Irish Sea. It was a telling moment, because it answered the vexing question of whether Tory Brexiters were idiots or liars.

If they were idiots, they would have accepted the backstop. After all, it only applied if all the solutions they'd spent the previous year defending did not work. If they were really confident about them, they'd have signed up that very day. But they didn't. They condemned it. Because they were not idiots. They were liars.

It reminds me a bit of a blog by Chris Grey - who is more detailed and academic, but same point. The backstop is only needed if it turns out there is a fundamental contradiction between the commitments to avoiding a hard border, having access to EU markets and striking bold new trade deals with third countries. Brexiteers say these things can all be achieved - yet they are the ones most freaked out about the backstop.

It's like expressing total confidence in your ability to walk a tightrope but arguing about the colour of a safety net that circus owner insists on for insurance purposes.

Well to adjust your similie
- it's like telling your cut-off neighbour at the outset of your building works "it'll all be fine, there'll be a road. But if there isn't a road here's a Right of Way. Is that enough for you ? Let's get on with my building. Then later on. This road, the planning conditions are way too onerous, let's discuss. Also that Right of Way, well, sorry no can do"
- or its like replacing a planned bridge with a tightrope. And then going nuts when everyone insists on a safety net.

We're in endgame now. Every comment and silence and leak from all sides has about 3 meanings !
Personally I'm waiting for the GCHQ/MI6 dirty tricks :P
Watch the Sunday Times UK edition :nin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 am 
Under CAB Investigation

GameBlame wrote:

Watch the Sunday Times UK edition :nin

Intriguing... givvus a clue :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 am 
Property Magnate

Last night, two years, four months and sixteen days since the referendum, four months and twenty three days before the UK leaves the European Union, prominent leave campaigner and United Kingdom Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said the following:

Quote:
I hadn’t quite understood the full extent of this, but if you look at the UK and look at how we trade in goods, we are particularly reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing. And that is one of the reasons why we have wanted to make sure we have a specific and very proximate relationship with the EU, to ensure frictionless trade at the border. I don’t think it is a question so much of the risk of major shortages, but I think probably the average consumer might not be aware of the full extent to which the choice of goods that we have in the stores are dependent on one or two very specific trade routes.

Source

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Evil_g wrote:
Last night, two years, four months and sixteen days since the referendum, four months and twenty three days before the UK leaves the European Union, prominent leave campaigner and United Kingdom Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said the following:

Quote:
I hadn’t quite understood the full extent of this, but if you look at the UK and look at how we trade in goods, we are particularly reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing. And that is one of the reasons why we have wanted to make sure we have a specific and very proximate relationship with the EU, to ensure frictionless trade at the border. I don’t think it is a question so much of the risk of major shortages, but I think probably the average consumer might not be aware of the full extent to which the choice of goods that we have in the stores are dependent on one or two very specific trade routes.

Source

At least he was honest.

I’m seriously at the popcorn stage.

The U.K. actually NEEDS Brexit at this stage. They need it for the cathartic effect it will have on them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am 
Property Magnate

Terra Incognita wrote:

The U.K. actually NEEDS Brexit at this stage. They need it for the cathartic effect it will have on them.

Brexit and someone to blame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

It's pretty amazing. I thought maybe Raab had been misquoted or his phrasing was distorted a bit at an informal chat. But then the video emerged.

He hadn't understood the extent to which an island is dependent on the sea crossing between itself and its nearest trading partners. His civil servants must have had to explain this to him when he arrived with a head full of nonsense.

But, as TI suggested, at least Raab has listened and learned. David Davis was in situ for two years and learned nothing. Now Davis is calling on MPs to reject May's deal (whatever it is) and send the government back to strike a better deal.

This is despite the fact that he rejected such an idea while he was the minister, arguing that it would actually undermine the government.

I want to think May is running down the clock so she can throw a take-it-or-leave-us-up-the-creek vote to Parliament at Christmas but I may be overestimating her.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305 ... 311  Next