Post subject: Poland in 2015 issued 53% of all EU work permits.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:29 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I am actually not surprised at number in Poland, after what I heard and saw recently in relation to Ukrainian immigration. However I did not know that my home land was the top destination of work migrations from outside of EU.

Unofficial estimates are talking about well over 1mln of Ukrainian immigration since start of the war in Donetsk region. Our CSO is very bad so there is no nice stats about it.

Quote:
Poland (375 300 permits, or 53% of all permits issued for employment reasons in the EU in 2015) was by far the first destination for employment related permits, while the United Kingdom (229 100 permits, or 44%) was the primary destination in the EU for education related reasons. With over 100 000 permits each, Germany(133 900, or 18%), Italy (109 300, or 15%) and Spain (102 500, or 14%) were the three Member States with the highest
number of permits issued for family reasons in 2015 . They were closely followed by France (92 500, or 12%) and the United Kingdom (89 900, or 12%).

Here is the full publication from eurostat:
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/ ... BP-EN.pdf/

I wonder if there is a український магазин in every bigger town yet ;)

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

Post subject: Re: Poland in 2015 issued 53% of all EU work permits.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:13 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

mightyz wrote:
I am actually not surprised at number in Poland, after what I heard and saw recently in relation to Ukrainian immigration. However I did not know that my home land was the top destination of work migrations from outside of EU.

Unofficial estimates are talking about well over 1mln of Ukrainian immigration since start of the war in Donetsk region. Our CSO is very bad so there is no nice stats about it.

Quote:
Poland (375 300 permits, or 53% of all permits issued for employment reasons in the EU in 2015) was by far the first destination for employment related permits, while the United Kingdom (229 100 permits, or 44%) was the primary destination in the EU for education related reasons. With over 100 000 permits each, Germany(133 900, or 18%), Italy (109 300, or 15%) and Spain (102 500, or 14%) were the three Member States with the highest
number of permits issued for family reasons in 2015 . They were closely followed by France (92 500, or 12%) and the United Kingdom (89 900, or 12%).

Here is the full publication from eurostat:
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/ ... BP-EN.pdf/

I wonder if there is a український магазин in every bigger town yet ;)

Are these work permits linked to specific job offers? If so, was there really nearly 400,000 unfilled positions in Poland waiting for an influx of Ukrainians before they could be done? Any idea what sectors these work permits were issued for?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:29 pm 

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/ ... 5044b927a6
206k in 2014.

I don't have such data to tell details I am afraid. GUS website is not great, same as quality of their data.
I assume it is mostly low skilled jobs which poles don't want e.g. manufacturing and farming...

Unemployment is 8.3% according to GUS (local CSO) method or 5.9% according to eurostat one:
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... t_2016.png
https://www.ft.com/content/4e3b1b51-182 ... 12665ab0d8
http://stat.gov.pl/obszary-tematyczne/r ... ,3,24.html (pdf is in english / polish)

In major cities unemployment does not exist for few years now with official figures as low as 2.2% in Poznań, 3.2% in Wrocław and Warsaw or 3.8% in Gdańsk or Kraków. There are cities with big figures, but knowing the specifics of Poland we can assume that a lot of people are working in grey market there.

There are plenty of jobs as internal market is big (38mln people) and consumption is quite strong for last few years. Plus GUS estimate that there are 2.4+ million of emigrants like me. I guess it goes something like this:
Surfing<---Australia<---Ireland<---Poland<---Ukraine<---??? China soon?

It's all grand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:20 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

This is people from former USSR who pledge Polish allegiance getting citizenship? It seems quite easy to qualify? I read an article about it but can't find it now. On Reddit I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:53 pm 

karta polaka or other similar scheme is probably most of 120k in 'other' category. It was made to allow return to Poland for certain groups e.g. People who can prove that their parents or grand parents or grand grand parent were Polish sent to Siberia.

Unemployment Top 11 cities, Łódź is local Detroit, Lublin and Białystok are underdeveloped east block.

Poznań is a lot of car/bus manufacturing.
Wrocław is big in IT and some manufacturing I guess.
Katowice is part of GOP - metro area of around 19 cities I think with mining and a lot of manufacturing - cars, trains..
Kraków have a lot of IT and business outsourcing companies.
Warsaw is bit of everything I suppose.

anyway.. Dublin is what now 7% ?

It's all grand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:36 pm 

http://www.colliers.com/en-gb/-/media/F ... 2018-FINAL
Quote:
It appears that there are c.2mn Ukrainians in Poland already, a figure
which may be rising rapidly. These two appear the most likely solutions for now.

It's all grand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:28 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

How's the influx of Ukrainians going down with the Natives?

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:29 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

tulip wrote:

WW II saw a huge number of refugees from Poland into France and Britain. In recent years from Britain alone into Poland there have been tens of thousands of 'migrants', grandchildren of the WWII refugees, fluent in Polish and English, looking to reconnect with their homeland, reclaim family property and set up businesses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:48 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Inis Man wrote:
tulip wrote:

WW II saw a huge number of refugees from Poland into France and Britain. In recent years from Britain alone into Poland there have been tens of thousands of 'migrants', grandchildren of the WWII refugees, fluent in Polish and English, looking to reconnect with their homeland, reclaim family property and set up businesses.

That could be rather difficult for many, especially when you consider the fact that the "footprint" of Poland in 1945 is quite different to that of 1939.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Inis Man wrote:
tulip wrote:

I never heard of that. Grandchildren speaking the language of their immigrant grandparents fluently is unusual is it not? I'm friends with a chap whose father was Polish, who ended up a refugee in Ireland from WW2 and he's very little Polish and his kids have none. Now his mother was English and his wife is Irish. Maybe if both his parents were Polish he'd speak fluent Polish but him speaking it to his kids would only really happen if his wife had Polish heritage or he made a concerted effort to speak it to his kids.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm 

84% or 493k permits in 2016.

A lot of permits are for 6 months, Ukrainians mostly come for work, then go back for few months and return again. I know from family shop manager that they are happy to organize that kind of arrangement for them, basically they work in 6-12 months rotation.

It looks very similar to Ireland when I was there, probably less families, due to a lot of seasonal workers - mostly construction.
Factories are full of foreigners at the moment all same again like in Ireland.

The article is going to be updated soon.
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Residence_permits_statistics

In my sector (IT) there its not so common yet.
From speaking to Ukrainian graduate who finished college here in Wrocław, the dorm is full of indian students. I can definitely see some IT people from that region in and around offices in which I work.

What's really interesting is how much office space is being built at the moment (on top of last 5-10 years). I guess still cheap and decent quality.
One of main topics in media at the moment is lack of workers and danger of Germany taking part of our migrants as they plan to relax employment laws.

It's all grand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

mightyz wrote:
One of main topics in media at the moment is lack of workers and danger of Germany taking part of our migrants as they plan to relax employment laws.

Damn Germans, they took our jerbs - and foreign workers...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:38 am 

superman wrote:
mightyz wrote:

Damn Germans, they took our jerbs - and foreign workers...

Poland and Germany are currently in economic symbiosis like probably never before.. Only on political level there is a lot of noise for media and masses.
Big chunk of subcomponents for German cars are from Poland, same goes for a lot of IT subcontract jobs or any home appliance stuff.

For short term migrants its simple mathematics, where can I earn more money quicker.

It's all grand