Post subject: Re: Reviving the Silk Road
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 am 
Too Big to Fail

I traveled in Shan state in northerly Myanmar a decade ago and Chinese money was very obvious then. On the plus side I was able to access my e-mail accounts there which I couldn't do elsewhere in Myanmar. In Yangon it was actually cheaper and quicker to telegram a message to Ireland than send an email via the heavily censored government official web service.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I'm surprised at the Vietnamese kowtowing to the Chinese. They only recently (in Asian history terms) fought a war against the Chinese and the Chinese traditionally considered Vietnam a province of China.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am 
Of Systemic Importance

tulip wrote:
I'm surprised at the Vietnamese kowtowing to the Chinese. They only recently (in Asian history terms) fought a war against the Chinese and the Chinese traditionally considered Vietnam a province of China.

Yeah. The Viet Government are playing with fire. This was only the second anti-Government protest since the ending of the American war in the 70s. The first was around a ecological disaster which destroyed a large section of the Vietnamese fishing industry a couple of years ago (2016)....caused by the actions a Taiwanese multi-national (Formosa)...and in the eyes of the average Viet, Taiwanese = Chinese. So despite the upward economic trajectory, there is plenty of discontent below the surface.

However, generally money talks and the reality is that if the head honchos in the Communist Party decide something is good, no opposition is tolerated. Bloggers and others have been jailed of late for public displays of dissent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

China developed underground gas & oil pipelines from Myanmar coast to Yunnan
This avoids Straits of Malacca for the 80% of China energy imports that come from Arabia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:20 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

temene wrote:
China developed underground gas & oil pipelines from Myanmar coast to Yunnan
This avoids Straits of Malacca for the 80% of China energy imports that come from Arabia

Impressive stuff.

Watching the piece around the proposed development of a special economic zone around the port area its worth recalling that Hong Kong was little more than a fishing village up until the 1870s or so.