Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:33 am 
Holiday Home Owner

FreeFallin wrote:
This one will surely rouse many Pinsters to the FF cause....rise and follow Micheál

Tax break plan for landlords to encourage longer leases
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 80238.html
Quote:
One suggestion currently being teased out by Fianna Fáil is a proposal to provide tax rebates for landlords who provide their tenants with long-term leases.
The rebates would apply to individual landlords and would go some way to addressing the differences between the tax treatment of corporate landlords and individual property owners, according to a party source.
It is understood a detailed submission on housing will soon be completed and will decide how much of a carrot landlords will be offered.
One approach being explored is that a landlord who provides, for example, a five-year lease would be able to be given a tax rate in one band, while a 10-year lease would allow the landlord to get a higher rebate.

So long as the landlord has to rebate the rebate when they break it early then it could be workable - i.e any benefit accrued is repayable to the exchequer (to the tenant??)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:07 am 
Real Estate Developer

FreeFallin wrote:
This one will surely rouse many Pinsters to the FF cause....rise and follow Micheál

Tax break plan for landlords to encourage longer leases
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 80238.html
Quote:
One suggestion currently being teased out by Fianna Fáil is a proposal to provide tax rebates for landlords who provide their tenants with long-term leases.
The rebates would apply to individual landlords and would go some way to addressing the differences between the tax treatment of corporate landlords and individual property owners, according to a party source.
It is understood a detailed submission on housing will soon be completed and will decide how much of a carrot landlords will be offered.
One approach being explored is that a landlord who provides, for example, a five-year lease would be able to be given a tax rate in one band, while a 10-year lease would allow the landlord to get a higher rebate.

So we're going to use taxpayers money to subsidise an already highly profitable activity. You can f.. off with that.

How about the standard rate for people who do the right thing and a punitive rate for those who don't? Sticks not carrots.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:24 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Financial watchdog says ‘adverse shock’ to economy inevitable

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.3621028

Quote:
An “adverse shock” to the Irish economy from Brexit, Donald Trump’s protectionist trade policies or changes to the international tax environment is now inevitable, the Government’s financial watchdog has warned.

In a pre-budget statement the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council (Ifac) also cautioned that while efforts to stabilise the public finances since the financial crisis have been successful, improvements in the Government’s underlying budgetary position have stalled since 2015. This is despite a strong recovery in the economic cycle.

As a result, it suggested an “earlier-than-planned move” to running a small budgetary surplus may be warranted, particularly if growth and tax exceed expectations this year.

The council’s warning echoes comments this week by Central Bank governor Philip Lane, who called for more financial resources to be set aside as a buffer against future economic shocks.

Having originally targeted a budget surplus in 2018, the Government is still running budget deficits (spending more than it raises in revenues) despite having one of the highest debt burdens in the OECD. It is now not expected to achieve a surplus until 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:50 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Philip Lane floated an SSIA-style scheme to cool the economy. Government taking it seriously, apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Lunatics abound in this great country of ours

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 99249.html
Quote:
But, meanwhile, Mr Varadkar also has to consider the latest demands from the Independent Alliance.
In a document, seen by the newspaper, the alliance said many homeowners "struggle to cope with LPT, including older people on fixed incomes and those with disabilities".
"The Independent Alliance supports full exemptions from LPT for these homeowners as well as a cap on LPT liabilities to ensure that no other homeowner pays a single euro more in LPT than they are currently paying," the document states.

They want a large part of the OAP cohort to be exempt from LPT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

FreeFallin wrote:
Lunatics abound in this great country of ours

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 99249.html
Quote:
But, meanwhile, Mr Varadkar also has to consider the latest demands from the Independent Alliance.
In a document, seen by the newspaper, the alliance said many homeowners "struggle to cope with LPT, including older people on fixed incomes and those with disabilities".
"The Independent Alliance supports full exemptions from LPT for these homeowners as well as a cap on LPT liabilities to ensure that no other homeowner pays a single euro more in LPT than they are currently paying," the document states.

They want a large part of the OAP cohort to be exempt from LPT

There was a stat floating around on twitter yesterday (can't find it now) that a household headed by someone aged 65+ has on average 50x the total wealth of a household headed by someone aged 25-34. Maybe someone has it?

Whatever about the idea of deferring the levying until after they die, a total exemption is pure parish pump electoral nonsense. Can't wait to see Shane Ross get dumped out in the next GE - don't know enough locally of the others, but fingers crossed they might all be gone.

Hard to believe the IA could be worse than the establishment FF/FG/Labour, but they absolutely have been.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 am 
Too Big to Fail

Regina does it again
Front page of today's Mirror

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am 
Too Big to Fail

Ixelles wrote:
Philip Lane floated an SSIA-style scheme to cool the economy. Government taking it seriously, apparently.

What's wrong with that plan? Mine's still sitting in a deposit account, now earning the square root of sod all. :|

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:53 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Madness of Crowds wrote:
Ixelles wrote:

What's wrong with that plan? Mine's still sitting in a deposit account, now earning the square root of sod all. :|

Let me guess, right beside two other accounts named 'Communion money' and 'Confirmation Money' :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:00 pm 
Too Big to Fail

owenm wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:
Ixelles wrote:

Let me guess, right beside two other accounts named 'Communion money' and 'Confirmation Money' :D

I'm not a Christian, so no, but I suppose I do still have a successor account to the one my parents opened for me at the building society when I was a toddler, so not too far off the mark. :lol:

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:56 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

temene wrote:
Regina does it again
Front page of today's Mirror

This heading is very misleading, I must the 'Xmas Bonus' for people on welfare (excluding OAPs) is a payment I've never agreed with. I know plenty of people in full time employment who don't get an extra bonus at Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Taking away the bonus was never a runner, And them only after bringing it back in fully.
It shouldn't be there of course at a time of near full employment but such is the corrupt state we live in

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:15 am 
IMF'd

FreeFallin wrote:
Taking away the bonus was never a runner, And them only after bringing it back in fully.
It shouldn't be there of course at a time of near full employment but such is the corrupt state we live in

What now?! Who's the corrupt in this scenario? The OAPs?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:30 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Is 'What now' the new buzz term? Hard to keep up.

My corrupt reference was to the news of the Presidents 317k. It was sticking in my head last night and that was what I was alluding to here though I know they are not necessarily connected

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next