Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:33 am 
Offline
Old Time Landlord

Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Posts: 386
Location: Middle Earth
FreeFallin wrote:
This one will surely rouse many Pinsters to the FF cause....rise and follow Micheál

Tax break plan for landlords to encourage longer leases
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 80238.html
Quote:
One suggestion currently being teased out by Fianna Fáil is a proposal to provide tax rebates for landlords who provide their tenants with long-term leases.
The rebates would apply to individual landlords and would go some way to addressing the differences between the tax treatment of corporate landlords and individual property owners, according to a party source.
It is understood a detailed submission on housing will soon be completed and will decide how much of a carrot landlords will be offered.
One approach being explored is that a landlord who provides, for example, a five-year lease would be able to be given a tax rate in one band, while a 10-year lease would allow the landlord to get a higher rebate.



So long as the landlord has to rebate the rebate when they break it early then it could be workable - i.e any benefit accrued is repayable to the exchequer (to the tenant??)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:07 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Mar 17, 2008
Posts: 1011
FreeFallin wrote:
This one will surely rouse many Pinsters to the FF cause....rise and follow Micheál

Tax break plan for landlords to encourage longer leases
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 80238.html
Quote:
One suggestion currently being teased out by Fianna Fáil is a proposal to provide tax rebates for landlords who provide their tenants with long-term leases.
The rebates would apply to individual landlords and would go some way to addressing the differences between the tax treatment of corporate landlords and individual property owners, according to a party source.
It is understood a detailed submission on housing will soon be completed and will decide how much of a carrot landlords will be offered.
One approach being explored is that a landlord who provides, for example, a five-year lease would be able to be given a tax rate in one band, while a 10-year lease would allow the landlord to get a higher rebate.


So we're going to use taxpayers money to subsidise an already highly profitable activity. You can f.. off with that.

How about the standard rate for people who do the right thing and a punitive rate for those who don't? Sticks not carrots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3646
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Posts: 5225
Financial watchdog says ‘adverse shock’ to economy inevitable

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.3621028

Quote:
An “adverse shock” to the Irish economy from Brexit, Donald Trump’s protectionist trade policies or changes to the international tax environment is now inevitable, the Government’s financial watchdog has warned.

In a pre-budget statement the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council (Ifac) also cautioned that while efforts to stabilise the public finances since the financial crisis have been successful, improvements in the Government’s underlying budgetary position have stalled since 2015. This is despite a strong recovery in the economic cycle.

As a result, it suggested an “earlier-than-planned move” to running a small budgetary surplus may be warranted, particularly if growth and tax exceed expectations this year.

The council’s warning echoes comments this week by Central Bank governor Philip Lane, who called for more financial resources to be set aside as a buffer against future economic shocks.

Having originally targeted a budget surplus in 2018, the Government is still running budget deficits (spending more than it raises in revenues) despite having one of the highest debt burdens in the OECD. It is now not expected to achieve a surplus until 2020.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:50 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Posts: 1927
Philip Lane floated an SSIA-style scheme to cool the economy. Government taking it seriously, apparently.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Nov 4, 2011
Posts: 6078
Location: SthDub
Lunatics abound in this great country of ours

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 99249.html
Quote:
But, meanwhile, Mr Varadkar also has to consider the latest demands from the Independent Alliance.
In a document, seen by the newspaper, the alliance said many homeowners "struggle to cope with LPT, including older people on fixed incomes and those with disabilities".
"The Independent Alliance supports full exemptions from LPT for these homeowners as well as a cap on LPT liabilities to ensure that no other homeowner pays a single euro more in LPT than they are currently paying," the document states.

They want a large part of the OAP cohort to be exempt from LPT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Oct 7, 2014
Posts: 1015
FreeFallin wrote:
Lunatics abound in this great country of ours

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 99249.html
Quote:
But, meanwhile, Mr Varadkar also has to consider the latest demands from the Independent Alliance.
In a document, seen by the newspaper, the alliance said many homeowners "struggle to cope with LPT, including older people on fixed incomes and those with disabilities".
"The Independent Alliance supports full exemptions from LPT for these homeowners as well as a cap on LPT liabilities to ensure that no other homeowner pays a single euro more in LPT than they are currently paying," the document states.

They want a large part of the OAP cohort to be exempt from LPT


There was a stat floating around on twitter yesterday (can't find it now) that a household headed by someone aged 65+ has on average 50x the total wealth of a household headed by someone aged 25-34. Maybe someone has it?

Whatever about the idea of deferring the levying until after they die, a total exemption is pure parish pump electoral nonsense. Can't wait to see Shane Ross get dumped out in the next GE - don't know enough locally of the others, but fingers crossed they might all be gone.

Hard to believe the IA could be worse than the establishment FF/FG/Labour, but they absolutely have been.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3646
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
Regina does it again
Front page of today's Mirror
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Apr 4, 2010
Posts: 4764
Ixelles wrote:
Philip Lane floated an SSIA-style scheme to cool the economy. Government taking it seriously, apparently.


What's wrong with that plan? Mine's still sitting in a deposit account, now earning the square root of sod all. :|

_________________
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.


Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
Old Time Landlord

Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Posts: 386
Location: Middle Earth
Madness of Crowds wrote:
Ixelles wrote:
Philip Lane floated an SSIA-style scheme to cool the economy. Government taking it seriously, apparently.


What's wrong with that plan? Mine's still sitting in a deposit account, now earning the square root of sod all. :|


Let me guess, right beside two other accounts named 'Communion money' and 'Confirmation Money' :D


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com