Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:12 am 
IMF'd

FreeFallin wrote:
Is 'What now' the new buzz term? Hard to keep up.

My corrupt reference was to the news of the Presidents 317k. It was sticking in my head last night and that was what I was alluding to here though I know they are not necessarily connected

Ah, okay. Micky D. did make the point that the Oireachteas voted the expense payment and it was used to pay for entertainment for visitors. Whether that's okay probably depends on the level of whataboutery and yellowpackpresident you're prepared to trade in place of blows.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Petrol, diesel, cigarettes and the hotel Vat rate are all going up in next week's Budget.

It comes as final negotiations take place ahead of Budget day on October 9.

Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe is understood to be looking at a carbon tax to help fund social welfare hikes and income tax cuts.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 72915.html

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Social welfare hikes in a time of high growth and near full employment....got to keep buying the votes.

The Independant Alliance, aka The Old People's party according to wag's in the Dail, are pushing for a decrease in Property tax especially for OAP's and apparently that could be announced separately after the budget.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 am 
Too Big to Fail

FreeFallin wrote:
Social welfare hikes in a time of high growth and near full employment....got to keep buying the votes.

The Independant Alliance, aka The Old People's party according to wag's in the Dail, are pushing for a decrease in Property tax especially for OAP's and apparently that could be announced separately after the budget.

It's a bit of a kick to their support base too surely. Of course with all their spinning I'm sure they don't intentionally want to see the headline - "Regressive tax increase to keep folks on the scratcher"

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:37 am 
Nationalised

Dubhgeannain wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

It's a bit of a kick to their support base too surely. Of course with all their spinning I'm sure they don't intentionally want to see the headline - "Regressive tax increase to keep folks on the scratcher"

Buying votes may be one thing but that's not it at this point. There is a well entrenched structural welfare class if you will at this point (not unique to Ireland either). Is this a consequences accident, design or a mix of both?

Maybe ask yourself why do governments of the day so consistently and calmly step out of from the "economics 101" table (regardless of political their flag flying), ignoring and being very much counter to probably your own foundational moral, ethical and economic rule set that motivates your life's daily actions.

Is it future vote buying?

Is it something else?

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:45 am 
Of Systemic Importance

I know you see 'reds under the bed' everywhere OW but I'll not give too much credit to the intellect of gombeen Irish politicians. So I'll stick with plain and simple old vote buying

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

FreeFallin wrote:
I know you see 'reds under the bed' everywhere OW but I'll not give too much credit to the intellect of gombeen Irish politicians. So I'll stick with plain and simple old vote buying

Some beds are bound to have reds under them. Our politicians didn't invent the welfare state but it sure suits them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am 
Property Magnate

A “Help-to-Buy” scheme being touted now. That’s just pumping in more gas. Along the lines of the much criticised UK scheme.

Honestly, you couldn’t make this sh1t up.

“Hello 2005? You say you want your bubble back?
Don’t worry, we’re working on it.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:48 am 
Old Time Landlord

I don't get the tax break on long leases to be honest. Once over 6 months, you have a defacto 6 year lease under part IV.

If they are serious about using the tax code to influence landlord behaviour, benchmark rents on a €/SQ.M for areas / regions, RTB combined with mandatory BER has the data. Set a couple of thresholds based on the data, an example could be lowest rate of tax where rent is below 80% of median and highest where rent is above 120% of median with the rest in the middle. Obviously you'd need to look at the data as a whole to determine appropriate thresholds.

This should replace the RPZ legislation which penalised the landlords who weren't taking the piss and rewarded those who were relative to the rest of the market. Allow all landlords set market rent on new tenancies but hammer the pisstakers with higher tax.

This will also allow all landlords advertise vacancies, currently if you're tied to a rent well below market, you'll be inundated with calls/emails if you advertise so word of mouth sourcing of tenants is common. There is then a bias towards advertised properties being not tied to a previous rent or the previous rent was top end, so perception of market rent is further inflated, people's expectations of what they have to pay is inflated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 am 
Holiday Home Owner

The Granny flat grant seems likely now, annoyingly a relative has just this week commenced converting part of their dwelling to just such a granny flat. My LA development plan prohibits development of them, demanding access from the main dwelling to the granny flat be maintained or established in order to stymie rental. They actually made my relative remove references to fire rated doors and other similar measures before planning was granted - 'because it looked like a rental'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:28 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Dubhgeannain wrote:
Quote:
Petrol, diesel, cigarettes and the hotel Vat rate are all going up in next week's Budget.

It comes as final negotiations take place ahead of Budget day on October 9.

Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe is understood to be looking at a carbon tax to help fund social welfare hikes and income tax cuts.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 72915.html

I suspect that the recent rise in crude oil prices will make this a difficult one to justify and would prove to be very unpopular.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Is it just me or does all this look like a pre-election budget giveaway?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:48 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

What we know about Budget 2019

https://www.rte.ie/news/budget-2019/201 ... t-outline/

Quote:
Housing
A €300m affordable housing scheme will be introduced over three years. The income eligibility for the scheme will be up to €50,000 for an individual and €75,000 for a couple.

The scheme will result is a discount of up to €50,000 on the cost of building a house. This means it will equate to more than €50,000 of the market value.

However it's understood there will be a maximum discount of 40% of the market value of the house in that area. The cost of the house will depend on the region and building costs.

Tax
The 4.75% rate of the USC will cut to 4.5%. It will effect more than one million workers and will cost more than €100m. The 4.75% rate of USC is paid on income over €19,372 and below €70,044.

The point at which people hit the 40% higher rate of income tax will rise by €750 to €35,300. It is currently €34,550.

The 9% VAT rate for the hotel and restaurant sector is widely expected to increase to 13.5%. However, some sectors such as newspapers and sports facilities are expected to remain at the 9% rate.

Social Welfare
There will be an increase of €5 in weekly social welfare payments.

There will also be a full restoration of Christmas Bonus. It was restored to 85% of normal weekly payments in 2017. However, technically this is not viewed as a budgetary measure.

50K towards cost of building a house? Price of a house just goes up 50K as builders price in the grant...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

TheJackal wrote:

Quote:
Housing
A €300m affordable housing scheme will be introduced over three years. The income eligibility for the scheme will be up to €50,000 for an individual and €75,000 for a couple.

The scheme will result is a discount of up to €50,000 on the cost of building a house. This means it will equate to more than €50,000 of the market value.

However it's understood there will be a maximum discount of 40% of the market value of the house in that area. The cost of the house will depend on the region and building costs.

Tax
The 4.75% rate of the USC will cut to 4.5%. It will effect more than one million workers and will cost more than €100m. The 4.75% rate of USC is paid on income over €19,372 and below €70,044.

The point at which people hit the 40% higher rate of income tax will rise by €750 to €35,300. It is currently €34,550.

The 9% VAT rate for the hotel and restaurant sector is widely expected to increase to 13.5%. However, some sectors such as newspapers and sports facilities are expected to remain at the 9% rate.

Social Welfare

There will also be a full restoration of Christmas Bonus. It was restored to 85% of normal weekly payments in 2017. However, technically this is not viewed as a budgetary measure.

50K towards cost of building a house? Price of a house just goes up 50K as builders price in the grant...

I think I'm so numnbed by the gobshytery of those governing this place that the thing that most stood out to me was "It will effect more than....", surely "It will affect more than...". The rest of the article contains nothing that surprises me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

NegativeEquity wrote:
TheJackal wrote:

Quote:
Housing

Tax

Social Welfare

I think I'm so numnbed by the gobshytery of those governing this place that the thing that most stood out to me was "It will effect more than....", surely "It will affect more than...". The rest of the article contains nothing that surprises me.

I'm a little surprised. What happened to the Carbon tax increase?

Sophie Scholl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next