Post subject: Re: Pension Auto-enrollment
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:27 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I wonder what effect this will have on the current economy. I suspect that it might be deflationary, but then, that might be no bad thing, under present circumstances.

People on low incomes will have both a goad and an incentive to save into pension funds, since they'll be compelled to do so and will also have a greater incentive to do so (25% tax relief, instead of 20% and their employers will be forced to contribute).
This will give them less disposable income, which will make their daily lives more difficult, unless their reduced spending power drags prices down. (we can hope. :roll: )

People on middle incomes, but paying higher rate income tax, like me will find paying into pensions less of a free lunch. How they react will be a matter of attitude. Since my fund would grow more slowly, I'd squeeze my spending harder, so that I could save more to compensate for the lower effective return (also deflationary). Other people might react differently...

As for the rich, well, it's not really their problem. After all, they're rich. :wink: 8DD

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:25 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

People don't pay, so they will be forced In order to keep the money flow into "costs"... Sounds like its a "corporation" lobby is placing a tax on workers.

I still think there will be nothing in the pot in 30-40 years.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:37 pm 
Neo Landlord

sounds like an excuse to replace or reduce the contributory pension at some point in the future. It's not much but at least it is currently guaranteed like a DB pension (assuming the economy doesn't completely tank but it was barely touched during the crash).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:06 am 
Real Estate Developer

shweeney wrote:
sounds like an excuse to replace or reduce the contributory pension at some point in the future. It's not much but at least it is currently guaranteed like a DB pension (assuming the economy doesn't completely tank but it was barely touched during the crash).

Given that PRSI (Employer and Employee) was collected to serve this purpose in the first case I think it makes more sense to see this as a straight ahead PRSI hike of 6 percentage points on both sides. At 10.85% our employer PRSI is one of the lowest in Europe (the European average is 20% - https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/servic ... nline.html) - another of our employer-related tax advantages.

We don't collect property taxes to the extent that other countries and we have no wealth tax whatsoever. We don't even stick to the corporate tax rates that we claim to collect and avoidance is incredibly easy and worthwhile for anyone earning over 200k per year.

That's why our tax burden is carried by such a small proportion of our population and we could fix it. I think the response to this from the general public is going to be two fingers when they figure out what it is - it certainly won't be as muted as the response on here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:22 am 
Under CAB Investigation

metalmike wrote:
and avoidance is incredibly easy and worthwhile for anyone earning over 200k per year.

This will be news to a lot of people earning over 200k per year. Given our very very progressive income tax regime, people earning over 200k per year pay a disproportionate share of the income tax take. Can you back up that statement? Don't confuse corporate tax with individual income tax.

The bottom 36.6% of earners pay no net tax at all. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/per ... -1.2841652

This Public Policy document from 2009 shows that those earning over 200K despite making up 10.13% of taxpayers they are responsible for paying over one-fifth of the total income tax take. 22.1%. http://www.publicpolicy.ie/wp-content/u ... xation.pdf

Given that these 200k+ pa taxpayers are probably already maximising every available tax relief including maximising pension contributions etc the fact that they still are responsible for 22% of the income tax take despite making up just 10% of taxpayers doesn't fit with the populist narrative that if you earn over 200k pa that "avoidance is incredibly easy and worthwhile for anyone earning over 200k"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

No wonder property prices are so high - 10.13% of the workforce earn €200k + :)

I think the correct figure might be 1.013%

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:19 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Luan wrote:
No wonder property prices are so high - 10.13% of the workforce earn €200k + :)

I think the correct figure might be 1.013%

My bad

1.1% of taxpayers earn over €200k, they earn 10.13% of the total income but they also pay 22.1% of the total income tax pa.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejourna ... 4/%3famp=1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:50 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Does it matter the top 1% of earners pay 22% of the total income tax take?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:30 am 
Old Time Landlord

Luan wrote:

Taxation with out representation, and conversely representation without taxation.

Of course I'm not suggesting you don't get a vote unless you pay tax or your vote is weighted by your contributions, it's unworkable but is it just that 1% pay 22% and 30% pay nothing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 am 
Under CAB Investigation

owenm wrote:
Luan wrote:

Taxation with out representation, and conversely representation without taxation.

Of course I'm not suggesting you don't get a vote unless you pay tax or your vote is weighted by your contributions, it's unworkable but is it just that 1% pay 22% and 30% pay nothing?

One could argue that the 30% work for the 1%. The 1% profits from their labour.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am 
Real Estate Developer

Braighni wrote:
owenm wrote:
Luan wrote:

One could argue that the 30% profits from their labour as well. Unless you think all capitalism is theft.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

newirishman wrote:
Braighni wrote:
owenm wrote:
Luan wrote:

One could argue that the 30% profits from their labour as well. Unless you think all capitalism is theft.

:lol: