Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What does a no deal Brexit actually mean for Irish prope
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 am 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: May 15, 2007
Posts: 740
Location: London
metalmike wrote:

I'd agree that it won't be the North of England. The people I'm thinking of moved over to the UK when IT went in to recession here in the early 2000's - they mainly work in the South East of England and a few in Scotland. Their kids are approaching secondary school age and the UK is looking very unattractive, and the undercurrent of racism is making a lot of them uneasy, their parents and older siblings have filled them in on how the Irish were treated in the last generation. If there is social unrest based on race I can assure you that Ireland won't be behind the curve - if anything it will be worse in this country and you can see the stirrings of that on boards, politics.ie, from taxi drivers and even (dare I say it) on here.


I'm one of those people, and I can tell you with near certainty I won't be returning to Ireland. If things get sticky post Brexit, Germany, Portugal, Holland and maybe France are far more attractive options, both professionally and socially.

In the very unlikely event that I do return, it also wouldn't be to Dublin - Cork, Limerick offer more IMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does a no deal Brexit actually mean for Irish prope
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5520
fitzy73 wrote:
I'm one of those people, and I can tell you with near certainty I won't be returning to Ireland. If things get sticky post Brexit, Germany, Portugal, Holland and maybe France are far more attractive options, both professionally and socially.

In the very unlikely event that I do return, it also wouldn't be to Dublin - Cork, Limerick offer more IMHO.

I think it's quite unusual for people to "move back" in all sorts of areas of life. Ever been tempted to go back to an old employer? It's almost never a good idea.

The world is a big place with lots of opportunity and people prefer to stay put or move forward.

The people interested in coming back will likely be those who've never really settled into their new life and for whom this represents a tipping point.

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does a no deal Brexit actually mean for Irish prope
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:19 am 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Mar 30, 2016
Posts: 700
fitzy73 wrote:
metalmike wrote:

I'd agree that it won't be the North of England. The people I'm thinking of moved over to the UK when IT went in to recession here in the early 2000's - they mainly work in the South East of England and a few in Scotland. Their kids are approaching secondary school age and the UK is looking very unattractive, and the undercurrent of racism is making a lot of them uneasy, their parents and older siblings have filled them in on how the Irish were treated in the last generation. If there is social unrest based on race I can assure you that Ireland won't be behind the curve - if anything it will be worse in this country and you can see the stirrings of that on boards, politics.ie, from taxi drivers and even (dare I say it) on here.




In the very unlikely event that I do return, it also wouldn't be to Dublin - Cork, Limerick offer more IMHO.


more what exactly? im curious not having a go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does a no deal Brexit actually mean for Irish prope
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: May 15, 2007
Posts: 740
Location: London
cyrusir wrote:
fitzy73 wrote:
metalmike wrote:

I'd agree that it won't be the North of England. The people I'm thinking of moved over to the UK when IT went in to recession here in the early 2000's - they mainly work in the South East of England and a few in Scotland. Their kids are approaching secondary school age and the UK is looking very unattractive, and the undercurrent of racism is making a lot of them uneasy, their parents and older siblings have filled them in on how the Irish were treated in the last generation. If there is social unrest based on race I can assure you that Ireland won't be behind the curve - if anything it will be worse in this country and you can see the stirrings of that on boards, politics.ie, from taxi drivers and even (dare I say it) on here.





In the very unlikely event that I do return, it also wouldn't be to Dublin - Cork, Limerick offer more IMHO.


more what exactly? im curious not having a go.


Well I'm from Limerick originally, so there is the (ever dwindling) family connection. At a rough calculation I could earn 80% of a Dublin salary in Limerick or Cork, but half the cost of rent / mortgage.

Aside from that I spent a few years in Dublin prior to going to London, and the terrible transportation / traffic would put me off.

Again Ireland would be a last resort though. The world is a big place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does a no deal Brexit actually mean for Irish prope
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: May 6, 2008
Posts: 4875
Location: the nearest faraway place
Eschatologist wrote:
I think it's quite unusual for people to "move back" in all sorts of areas of life. Ever been tempted to go back to an old employer? It's almost never a good idea.

The world is a big place with lots of opportunity and people prefer to stay put or move forward.

I saw this a few days ago and couldn't resist! :D

Image

We're lining up a move back next year, we won't be returning to where we lived before or the same careers, so it literally is a new start. We've been ping ponging for nearly a decade and I won't be surprised if we're off again after a few years in Ireland. What can I say, we're more traveler than settler.

Edit to add: I actually am interested in running greyhounds again like we did when I was a nipper.

_________________
Every single frozen corpse in the Death Zone on Everest was once a highly motivated person.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com