Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Property Prices Ireland. » Dublin South - Property Price Drops

Post subject: Re: WIW - York Road, Dun Laoghaire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 am 
Under CAB Investigation

puesyo wrote:
It's a combination of all of the above. I rent myself, waiting for the right time to buy. And yes I do wonder if my money is safe, yes I am tired of waiting and yes I do find myself every now and then trying to re-calculate how smart is this renting thing when you consider that a part of your mortgage is re-paying your capital and when you're renting "you have nothing at the end of it". And yes we would be prepared to go SLIGHTLY over the 3x multiple to get the perfect house (not very much above that but perhaps a little bit... like 3.5 times or so...). So i think for most people is a combination of the above. Which leads me to believe that perhaps the market will not fall by that much because there are so many people with itchy feet... unless of course other more catastrophical economic reasons drive the market down. To some extent in these country i think there will always be someone prepared to throw more money than they should after what they might perceive as a trophy house, at least for their possibilities...

A sensible approach. Speaking with fellow professionals (doctors, accountants, solicitors) everyone knows of someone in serious trouble.....yet carries on regardless.

Insolvencies hit a record last month - it is only a matter of time before corporate insolvency feeds personal insolvency as the who indebted pile is built on personal guarantees. I just can't see how, for example, AIB is still lending (other than using taxpayers money).

It is just frustrating when you understand finance..........to see finance professionals continuing to act so blinkered in their personal lives. Hey ho, whilst I am enjoying retirement they will be paying their 40 year mortgage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 am 
Nationalised

Scrambler wrote:
I really think it's less about people being tired of waiting, and more about 'How secure is your money, (obviously held in Euro currency) in an Irish bank?' It's a genuine fear now for anyone who has money that it will be swallowed up by govt to pay off the country's debts, replaced maybe with useless Irish government bonds or a new worthless currency.

well, they were getting a mortgage so I don't think they were worried about their wedge on the edge...

AFAIK one of them already has a house but not in a very 'professional' (though still respectable) area.

It's grand when they are both working but IMHO the benefit of having a high salary is that you or your missus has the option of taking the kids out of the crèche

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

slasher wrote:
Scrambler wrote:
It's grand when they are both working but IMHO the benefit of having a high salary is that you or your missus has the option of taking the kids out of the crèche

I agree but that's a personal thing, my kids have never been in a creche, I work part-time from home and a lady comes over here to mind them 3 mornings a week, but some people don't like being at home even if given the option.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:55 am 
Nationalised

As on the price drops forum, it would be helpful to include the full property address in the subject line (e.g. "WIW - 32 Cambridge Terrace, York Road..."), so that it can be found from search engines, and we know what property was being discussed when the day comes that the link to the property page no longer works.

Maybe a mod, or the OP, could alter the subject line in this case. Thanks.

"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007

Post subject: Re: WIW - 23 Cambridge Terrace, York Road, Dun Laoghaire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

mambo wrote:
As on the price drops forum, it would be helpful to include the full property address in the subject line (e.g. "WIW - 32 Cambridge Terrace, York Road..."), so that it can be found from search engines, and we know what property was being discussed when the day comes that the link to the property page no longer works.

Maybe a mod, or the OP, could alter the subject line in this case. Thanks.

Noted. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:28 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Down to €685,000

http://www.daft.ie/1589461

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:41 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Dreaded_Estate wrote:
Down to €685,000

http://www.daft.ie/1589461

Interesting. Somewhere just north of €500k if that get it away in the "season".

Quick drop means someone is eager to deal. Makes a mokery of many houses in SCD asking 600+.

The trouble is nothing looks "cheap" in the current macro environment.

Post subject: Re: 23 Cambridge Terrace, York Road, Dun Laoghaire (-240k, -
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Sale agreed:

http://www.myhome.ie/1257387

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:03 pm 
Private Tenant

23 sold for 545K November 2011. Number 21 sold for 1M in June 2015 and wasn't even renovated:

http://www.propertysteps.ie/Property-for-Sale/house-for-sale/21-cambridge-terrace-york-road-dun-laoghaire-dublin/23889

Whoever bought 23 seems to have done well! I think they're stunning houses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:13 am 
Private Tenant

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... 5?mode=amp

On sale €1.795

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Property Prices Ireland. » Dublin South - Property Price Drops