Board index » Welcome to the PIN - General Rules & Guidelines for posting » Rules & Posting Guidelines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: SEVERE COLD - Feb/Mar '18 - Rolling Updates
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:17 pm 
Nationalised

Dates vary, models vary and duration vary but it could be worse than 2010 and looks to be something rather soon and as you know Ireland is prepared for little in terms of extremes. Prepare as best you can.

10 day forecast vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop

Boards thread here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthr ... 2057843266

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

Ventusky - https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.6;-0.2;4 ... 0180224/00

Quote:
USERS PLEASE NOT WHEN POSTING IN THIS THREAD

This is a global alert thread.

For the sake of effective and effcient communications.

Please keep your posts on point.

Condition updates - descriptive and succinct (with links when possible)

Including any advisory on preparations.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post subject: Re: Severe COLD event - Feb 23rd onwards (10 days)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I've been hearing about this today...it's bizarre in some ways, given that the last day or two have really felt like the beginnings of Spring and the end of what was a fairly cold winter. (I even did a bit of "tidy-up" gardening today and I was in a sweat quite quickly.)

The UK papers are calling it The Beast From The East - apparently the Russians are interfering with our weather!

It'll be interesting to see what transpires as the week progresses...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm 
Nationalised

HiFi wrote:
I've been hearing about this today...it's bizarre in some ways, given that the last day or two have really felt like the beginnings of Spring and the end of what was a fairly cold winter. (I even did a bit of "tidy-up" gardening today and I was in a sweat quite quickly.)

The UK papers are calling it The Beast From The East - apparently the Russians are interfering with our weather!

It'll be interesting to see what transpires as the week progresses...

As you paint it, the concern would be this mild uptick is a type of calm before the storm potentially causing people to unduly relax and then get a shock and for some potentially fatal shock such as the elderly and those living alone or those remotely connected etc. etc.. Those who typically suffer the most in an extreme event.

+ I'm not sure but that uptick might be as a result of the weather dynamics that may be about to spring back in the extreme.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 pm 
Too Big to Fail

The biggest danger is a short warm spell that brings plants & animals out of hibernation, the following cold spell can be a real killer.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:59 pm 
Nationalised

Chances of snow ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:04 am 
Too Big to Fail

mr_anderson wrote:
Chances of snow ?

Too high. :(

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I have the boy who cried wild vibe about this. So many yellow and orange alerts. I can see the dismissals already.

Then struts around like it won.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 am 
Too Big to Fail

If the Daily Express doesn't have KILLER STORM TO SHUT DOWN BRITAIN FOR MONTHS on the front page tomorrow then it ain't happening, is it?

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 am 
Nationalised

catbear wrote:
If the Daily Express doesn't have KILLER STORM TO SHUT DOWN BRITAIN FOR MONTHS on the front page tomorrow then it ain't happening, is it?

Getting there...

UK weather to freeze Britons as snow and bitter Siberian winds make it feel like -11C

UK weather models confirm HISTORIC FREEZE as Scandinavian and Siberian systems hit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:01 am 
Nationalised

Probably too early for the Met people on the telly to get too excited. Nevertheless, the BBC devoted nearly half their latest weather bulletin to what's approaching from Siberia for the weekend and early next week. No mention yet of whether it's just freezing temps or snow as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 am 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Probably too early for the Met people on the telly to get too excited. Nevertheless, the BBC devoted nearly half their latest weather bulletin to what's approaching from Siberia for the weekend and early next week. No mention yet of whether it's just freezing temps or snow as well.

From online chatter I'm picking up the UK met are taking it very seriously, forgone conclusion seriously.

Here is a very similar system unearthed from the records circa DEC 1962. When I rolled this graphic first I thought I was looking at the 2018 models until I spotted the dates at the top! :?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis ... =24#mapref

That's a long way to go find a comparable.

Anyone remember that event? :|

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:13 am 
Nationalised

ixus wrote:
I have the boy who cried wild vibe about this. So many yellow and orange alerts. I can see the dismissals already.

The boy is the equivalent to a frantic disparate crowd located over wide geographical areas at present. Growing in giddiness and alarm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 am 
Nationalised

Open Window wrote:
Here is a very similar system unearthed from the records circa DEC 1962.

One of my siblings was born March '63 so it's in the family folklore. "The Big Freeze" was among the coldest winters of the last several centuries.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 am 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Open Window wrote:
Here is a very similar system unearthed from the records circa DEC 1962.

One of my siblings was born March '63 so it's in the family folklore. "The Big Freeze" was among the coldest winters of the last couple of centuries.

I'm open to correction but current model projection for this one are maybe looking a bit worse tham 1962.

Do they remember anything like this? :nin

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_ca ... 12&ech=180

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 am 
Nationalised

Open Window wrote:
Do they remember anything like this? :nin

To be honest, I think they were busy having a baby, not poring over the upper atmosphere temperature charts. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Board index » Welcome to the PIN - General Rules & Guidelines for posting » Rules & Posting Guidelines