Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post subject: Hourly rate for labourers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:50 am 
Real Estate Developer

Trying to get my back garden done, and received a first quote.
The total was so ridiculous that I still not sure if I should be shocked or laughing (I went with laughing for the moment), so was wondering if anyone could share recent experience.
Some of the major cost blocks is related to essentially unskilled labour, but in general the builder applied the same rate across a variety of skills.
Some of the work (like electrical) is done as a pc sum, some of the work based on square metres etc.
Anyways: hourly rate quoted was 37.5 euro, pus VAT of course,
Electrician is quoted as 5000 euro, for about 15 (external) lights, plus 5 socket points, plus running cables, total length say 30metres.
Given I had a whole 110sqm house rewired for less than 10k about three years ago, I find this a bit well steep.
Material cost are why pay they are of course.

Post subject: Re: Hourly rate for labourers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:19 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

newirishman wrote:
The total was so ridiculous that I still not sure if I should be shocked or laughing (I went with laughing for the moment), so was wondering if anyone could share recent experience.
Some of the major cost blocks is related to essentially unskilled labour, but in general the builder applied the same rate across a variety of skills.
Some of the work (like electrical) is done as a pc sum, some of the work based on square metres etc.
Electrician is quoted as 5000 euro, for about 15 (external) lights, plus 5 socket points, plus running cables, total length say 30metres.
Given I had a whole 110sqm house rewired for less than 10k about three years ago, I find this a bit well steep.

If a builder is busy, he'll put little effort into accurately pricing and merely quote an outlandish amount. Sometimes he'll get a bite and the exorbitant price makes it worthwhile for him to cram in / contract it out. If no bite, no worries - he's work on as it is.

An electrician friend puts rewiring a 1000 sq ft house - including chasing walls - at 5-6K plus VAT. Sounds like this is a rip

Get more quotes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:33 pm 
Real Estate Developer

york wrote:
newirishman wrote:

If a builder is busy, he'll put little effort into accurately pricing and merely quote an outlandish amount. Sometimes he'll get a bite and the exorbitant price makes it worthwhile for him to cram in / contract it out. If no bite, no worries - he's work on as it is.

An electrician friend puts rewiring a 1000 sq ft house - including chasing walls - at 5-6K plus VAT. Sounds like this is a rip

Get more quotes.

Thanks - thought as much. Getting more quotes anyways, but I was essentially gobsmacked.
Usually if you can't or want do the job say so and that's it. But quoting outlandish crab is IMO just not professional.
Of course, it is the Irish (small) building industry. Doesn't have as such a reputation of being professional...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:48 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

"Fuck off" pricing is completely normal in most markets, it's not something specific to the Irish building trade.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:50 pm 

newirishman wrote:
york wrote:
newirishman wrote:

Get more quotes.

Thanks - thought as much. Getting more quotes anyways, but I was essentially gobsmacked.
Usually if you can't or want do the job say so and that's it. But quoting outlandish crab is IMO just not professional.
Of course, it is the Irish (small) building industry. Doesn't have as such a reputation of being professional...

To be fair, the value of something is purely and simply down to the amount people are prepared to pay for it. Witness house prices for example.

It strikes me as not unreasonable for a builder, who has the comfort of enough work going on at, let's suppose, competitive rates, to aim for a premium if he can. Remember, the extra work is going to add extra pressure on him (for he has enough work to be getting on with as it is) and he may well have to outlay more on short-order labour. The premium rate covers that trouble.

As I say, the only way to establish true value is to see whether you get what you are asking. So long as there's someone prepared to pay, then value is established.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:08 pm 

newirishman wrote:

15 exterior downlighters strung around under the soffit of a bunglalow, with cable surface mounted is quite a different matter to hand digging a 30m trench, say 500mm deep in order to lay cable for and fit 15 garden lamposts.

37.50 plus vat for a tradesman doesn't strike as over the top. In industry, I was paying 50+ vat for any trade. 75 + vat for a technician and 90 + vat as soon as a laptop was involved in the persons work. Perhaps the builder just averages things out in his pricing up a job quickly - rather than calculating hours for each pay grade

In order to see how reasonable or otherwise the work, folk would have to know something of the detail of it.

You should ask if there are any particular items of the job which add substantially to the expense - you might find for example, that one particular socket of the 3 involved is difficult to install and contributes to 66% of the price of that element of the job. Can you do with out it? Could you find a surface route that eases things?

I'd always get three quote for that sized job. Not only do you get price discovery, but you learn a bit about and from each of the contractors - someone's way of doing it and the suggestions they make lead to a simpler (for them) and thus cheaper (for you) job.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:56 pm 
Real Estate Developer

york wrote:
newirishman wrote:
Material cost are what they are of course.

15 exterior downlighters strung around under the soffit of a bunglalow, with cable surface mounted is quite a different matter to hand digging a 30m trench, say 500mm deep in order to lay cable for and fit 15 garden lamposts.

37.50 plus vat for a tradesman doesn't strike as over the top. In industry, I was paying 50+ vat for any trade. 75 + vat for a technician and 90 + vat as soon as a laptop was involved in the persons work. Perhaps the builder just averages things out in his pricing up a job quickly - rather than calculating hours for each pay grade

In order to see how reasonable or otherwise the work, folk would have to know something of the detail of it.

You should ask if there are any particular items of the job which add substantially to the expense - you might find for example, that one particular socket of the 3 involved is difficult to install and contributes to 66% of the price of that element of the job. Can you do with out it? Could you find a surface route that eases things?

I'd always get three quote for that sized job. Not only do you get price discovery, but you learn a bit about and from each of the contractors - someone's way of doing it and the suggestions they make lead to a simpler (for them) and thus cheaper (for you) job.

Appreciate putting the hourly rate in context, I am surprised however, as much of the work (like clearing out the area) is in general unskilled labour.
As for the rest: of course I will discuss details and options to bring costs down, but not when the baseline is way off. I have done some price finding exercise based on work done at three different places (friends) but most of it 2-3 years ago. But at the moment it looks like a 15-20% y-o-y price inflation in the building trade since then.
Well, I have 2 more builders to quote so lets see.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:34 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Funny enough, I got a quote last year that I wanted to go ahead with - but even after confirming multiple times (calls, email, etc.) the builder never bothered to actually engage to start the work. So I am probably already a bit annoyed to start with...

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property