Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post subject: "Homes From hell" -Uk TV program on irish Ghost Estates etc
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:26 pm 
Homeless

hi

I usually frequent housepricecrash.co.uk but keep an eye on the 'pin. You guys are about 6 months ahead of us :) This may be of interest...

Homes From Hell - ITV UK program - showed a piece on a Belfast couple who paid £175k for a newbuild on a soon-to-be ghost estate. Sad, but I expect they'll bring us all down too. the show discusses Ireland and multiple overbuilding and ghost estates "one of around 621 in existence in Ireland(!)".

Its on STV at:

http://player.stv.tv/programmes/homes-from-hell/

Press release:

"Seadna and Mairead Billings tell the series how they took out a 100 per cent mortgage of £175,000 to buy their dream three-bedroom new-build home near Belfast.
The couple moved in in 2008 and soon discovered the surrounding houses were all empty. The estate was meant to have 70 houses on it, but work had stopped due to the property crash, many homes were not finished and only a small amount had been sold.
The estate became a ‘ghost-estate’, one of around 621 in existence in Ireland. Seadna and Mairead tell the programme how they were living alone in their street and the derelict houses around them were soon under-siege from vandals and rodents.
As he peers through the windows on the abandoned estate, Seadna says: “Fireplaces are ripped off and skirting boards taken up and doors taken off and you can just see the vandalism and theft that’s gone on around the place…it just gradually got worse and worked it’s way down closer and closer to us…we were worried, if we were going to be sitting in the living room, if there was going to be a brick come through the window.”
Eventually the couple decided to leave the property and move into a rented house. Now, after being left paying rent and a mortgage, they have decided to declare themselves bankrupt and have the house re-possessed. In emotional scenes Seadna and Mairead show Homes From Hell the home they had hoped to raise a family in which is now derelict and boarded up. "

- Keep the faith. I was based in Dublin for 6 months in 1999 (pre-Euro and 2% IR). I thought it was a bubble then :(

Post subject: Re: "Homes From hell" -Uk TV program on irish Ghost Estates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:46 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I saw that show. Talk about bleak. neighbouring houses had been smashed up and looted.

http://www.thebargainaisle.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:47 pm 
The link is region restricted content, UK viewers only unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm 
Nationalised

Is it the one broadcast on the 8th?

Was it a collection of separate stories?

I can grab the NI bit, if so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm 
Nationalised

Looks like they did a bit on Dubai in the first episode as well - might try and grab that later for the Dubai thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

How long does bankruptcy hang over you in the UK….. 2 years? They made the right decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:04 pm 
Nationalised

polaris wrote:
How long does bankruptcy hang over you in the UK….. 2 years? They made the right decision.

According to the Citizens Advice Bureau for Northern Ireland:
http://www.citizensadvice.co.uk/Publica ... ct-Sheets/
it can be less than a year:
http://www.citizensadvice.co.uk/Documen ... ruptcy.pdf - PDF
Quote:
When does bankruptcy end?

Your bankruptcy will normally end after one year. It could be less than a year if you have co-operated fully with the Official Receiver. The Official Receiver will tell you when the bankruptcy is over. Most debts that haven’t been paid will be written off however there are exceptions to this i.e. student loans and court fines.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 pm 
Real Estate Developer

So sad that video, it looked like a nice development that couple bought a house in. Chilling how there was sold signs all around their house yet nobody moved in....
At least they can move on now, in the south I think they really would be in a worse predicament.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:29 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

"Millbrook by the Canal" in Coalisland, Co Tyrone appeared to be the name of the development. I wonder if it was built by a "Mexican" developer; couldn't find anything on Google.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 am 
Back Home with Mammy

Being honest, I would file bankruptcy if I were in their position, you would be foolish not to if the law allows it.

I did actually feel genuinely sorry for these people until she started saying "its not our fault, we've done nothing wrong". Of course its your fault, you spent 175k on a terrace house 35 miles from belfast are you insane? Where was the due dillegence? I have no problem if people file for bankruptcy but at least have the decency to admit that its your fault. XX

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property