Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: We're paid peanuts compared to soccer stars, says Pat Kenny
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:29 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Quote:
Top RTE broadcaster Pat Kenny has described the salaries of the station's broadcast stars as "trivial" compared to those paid to footballers.

In an interview with this newspaper, Mr Kenny, who returns to host The Frontline later this month, said that he and his fellow stars were victims of a continuing double standard in the debate over the level of their salaries, which are paid out of licence-fee money.

Kenny, who was paid €950,956 in 2008 and €630,000 last year, rejects the notion that his and other stars' salaries were a result of Celtic Tiger excess.

"Well, I always smile to myself about the salaries issue. Back in the Eighties, Gaybo was earning in real terms more than everyone is earning in RTE now. So the idea that these are on Celtic Tiger rates of pay is not really true."

He said that RTE had to "incentivise" its stars.

"I often wonder why there isn't the same fuss over the salaries paid to footballers like John O'Shea, earning more in three weeks than Marian Finucane earns in a year.

"There is a double standard there. These people put themselves on the line, they entertain the nation week in, week out, and yet they are paid a trivial amount compared to footballers."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 25322.html

Pat Kenny shows how in touch he is with the mood of the nation...

Post subject: Re: We're paid peanuts compared to soccer stars, says Pat Ke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:35 am 
Neo Landlord

I wonder? Did Pat Kenny just say that he wants his pay to be the same as the highest payed footballers in the country? How much are the players in Bohemians payed ? Shall we fix his wages at the average of the top 10 payed players in the Irish league? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:52 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Quote:
"I often wonder why there isn't the same fuss over the salaries paid to footballers like John O'Shea, earning more in three weeks than Marian Finucane earns in a year.

Tax payer doesnt pay John OSheas wages Pat,it pays yours and Marions though and I for one am rightly fucked off at someone working 4 hours a week receiving 500k+ a year....

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."
—Hunter S Thompson-The Great Shark Hunt, 1979

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:59 am 
Nationalised

The Curious One wrote:
I wonder? Did Pat Kenny just say that he wants his pay to be the same as the highest payed footballers in the country? How much are the players in Bohemians payed ? Shall we fix his wages at the average of the top 10 paid players in the Irish league? :lol:

+1.

This is outrageous crap from Pat Kenny. If he wants to use the example of John O'Shea earning big money in England to justify his own pay then he should fuck off to England and see how much they'll pay him over there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:15 am 
Nationalised

The Curious One wrote:
I wonder? Did Pat Kenny just say that he wants his pay to be the same as the highest payed footballers in the country? How much are the players in Bohemians payed ? Shall we fix his wages at the average of the top 10 payed players in the Irish league? :lol:

I want to see him lining out for Trap - and I can just hear the commentary now:

Quote:
Welcome to the Gerry Ryan memorial cup.

Today Ireland take on England.

A feeble throw out from Duffy on the goal line. Always on the verge of quitting for politics... Go ahead! You're through, do a Lee, Joe!

Finucane picks it up, coughing and wheezing on the left wing, drifting to the centre and ending up on the right.

Looks up for Tubridy but he's just taken up a new position and is looking shaky.

Marian passes to Bird who is really inexperienced at this level and unfortunately has been shown up for it!

Seeking to make amends the bould Lee recovers the ball and heads on a run - but then changes his mind! It's a quick u-turn from George and he's running back to safety!
Disaster!

Who can save Ireland now?

Up steps the plucky Pat "The Plank" Kenny and single-handedly seeks to try and put a bit of pride back in the team - but what's this? A piece of unclaimed barren, rocky pitch!
Danger here!
Oh no! He's rooted himself to the spot claiming squatters rights!

It's a travesty. The crowd are now cheering the English squad.

23-0 to the Brits. A quality display by the team from over the water - who are on much lower wages than their Irish counterparts but seem to be playing for something called "professional pride".

They think it's all over.... it is now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:26 am 
IMF'd

:D

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:33 am 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:
:D

+1

sums it up in your usual spot-on way, WGU.

“The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all.” Ted Hughes

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” Anais Nin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:58 am 
Single Home Owner

Quote:
Pat Kenny: "I often wonder why there isn't the same fuss over the salaries paid to footballers like John O'Shea, earning more in three weeks than Marian Finucane earns in a year.

"There is a double standard there. These people put themselves on the line, they entertain the nation week in, week out"

Marian was back on air yesterday, banging teacups, rustling newspapers, dragging on cigarettes? coughing, clearing phlegm and interupting guests.....

Where was Marian for the last ten (yes 10) weeks?

"week in week out" ! In Marians case I think it means for every week she is in Montrose she takes a week out

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:08 am 
IMF'd

Time for a postal campaign? Peanuts for the top 'celebs'?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:09 am 
Holiday Home Owner

What Goes Up... wrote:
The Curious One wrote:

I want to see him lining out for Trap - and I can just hear the commentary now:

Quote:
Welcome to the Gerry Ryan memorial cup.

Today Ireland take on England.

A feeble throw out from Duffy on the goal line. Always on the verge of quitting for politics... Go ahead! You're through, do a Lee, Joe!

Finucane picks it up, coughing and wheezing on the left wing, drifting to the centre and ending up on the right.

Looks up for Tubridy but he's just taken up a new position and is looking shaky.

Marian passes to Bird who is really inexperienced at this level and unfortunately has been shown up for it!

Seeking to make amends the bould Lee recovers the ball and heads on a run - but then changes his mind! It's a quick u-turn from George and he's running back to safety!
Disaster!

Who can save Ireland now?

Up steps the plucky Pat "The Plank" Kenny and single-handedly seeks to try and put a bit of pride back in the team - but what's this? A piece of unclaimed barren, rocky pitch!
Danger here!
Oh no! He's rooted himself to the spot claiming squatters rights!

It's a travesty. The crowd are now cheering the English squad.

23-0 to the Brits. A quality display by the team from over the water - who are on much lower wages than their Irish counterparts but seem to be playing for something called "professional pride".

They think it's all over.... it is now!

:lol:

Great stuff WGU - try and get it published in the RTE guide. Can't believe Marian "because I'm worth it" hasn't been made to eat those words - and she's looking for us to contribute to her personal charity.............................

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:27 am 
Real Estate Developer

Quote:
Kenny, like many of the top stars, is not in fact RTE staff, but rather an outside contractor. He admits he does not do his contract negotiations himself. "I have someone come in and do the negotiations for me. People don't realise I have to have an accountant to do my accounts, I have to provide for my own pension. If I get sick tomorrow, that's it. If I take a day off to go to Gerry Ryan's funeral, that's out of my holidays. It's all counted up. It was the same with Joe Duffy when he had his leg trouble. I have always accepted that."

He adds: "I remember being told by a senior management person that the only way I could do all these things like TV and radio would be if I left the staff. Now there are some people who have stayed on staff -- like Sean O'Rourke -- they are paid an on-air additional fee but they are still staff. And when I see the size of the pensions I wish I could have stayed on staff but it wasn't possible."

No state pension for Pat - The last few years must have hit him hard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:31 am 
IMF'd

Pyramid5 wrote:
Quote:
Kenny, like many of the top stars, is not in fact RTE staff, but rather an outside contractor. He admits he does not do his contract negotiations himself. "I have someone come in and do the negotiations for me. People don't realise I have to have an accountant to do my accounts, I have to provide for my own pension. If I get sick tomorrow, that's it. If I take a day off to go to Gerry Ryan's funeral, that's out of my holidays. It's all counted up. It was the same with Joe Duffy when he had his leg trouble. I have always accepted that."

He adds: "I remember being told by a senior management person that the only way I could do all these things like TV and radio would be if I left the staff. Now there are some people who have stayed on staff -- like Sean O'Rourke -- they are paid an on-air additional fee but they are still staff. And when I see the size of the pensions I wish I could have stayed on staff but it wasn't possible."

No state pension for Pat - The last few years must have hit him hard

What a fucking maroon. I bet he wasn't saying that when he was sinking his pension into rocky outcrops.

Welcome to the world of the self-employed Pat. Welcome to the pricing mechanism. Welcome to the pensions. And having to have an accountant? The smallest corner shop has to have an accountant...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:36 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Well he is a client of Quinlan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 am 
Nationalised

yoganmahew wrote:

They're not 'celebs', Yog... they're Stars... great big luminous balls of plasma held together by their own feckin gravity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 am 
IMF'd

Coles2 wrote:
yoganmahew wrote:

They're not 'celebs', Yog... they're Stars... great big luminous balls of plasma held together by their own feckin gravity.

:D You can make stars out of shite? Who knew.

They're still big, it's the economy that got smaller...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next