Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
 Post subject: Re: iTax - Broadcasting charge 'whether you have a TV or not
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

We haven’t had a tv in our house for many years. I can confirm that the older generation find this very suspect and cannot imagine what we do of an evening without one. We are constantly being encouraged to purchase one of the things.

Anyway, I am quite offended by the notices informing us that we do not have a tv license and we had better sort this asap or prove that we do not have one. I just put them in the bin. But, really, the state thinks I should have to prove that I don’t have one of these boxes?

I also wonder if our tv-less house is included in the license evasion figures?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 am 
Too Big to Fail

croquette wrote:
We haven’t had a tv in our house for many years. I can confirm that the older generation find this very suspect and cannot imagine what we do of an evening without one. We are constantly being encouraged to purchase one of the things.

Anyway, I am quite offended by the notices informing us that we do not have a tv license and we had better sort this asap or prove that we do not have one. I just put them in the bin. But, really, the state thinks I should have to prove that I don’t have one of these boxes?

I also wonder if our tv-less house is included in the license evasion figures?

Don't worry. When I invite the inspectors in to confirm that I don't have one, they can't be bothered and just take my word for it. :lol:

Anyway, as I've said before, if I'm required to pay a tax, I'll pay it, but it still won't make me watch the rubbish they broadcast. :(

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:49 am 
Under CAB Investigation

The Examiner wrote:
The Oireachtas Communications Committee last month recommended the introduction of a household charge, regardless of whether there is a TV in a house. Revenue could collect this, it said. The broadcasting levy would help reduce the estimated €40m in annual losses for RTÉ, accumulated through licence fee evasion.

Money collected would also go towards independent radio and print media. Furthermore, the new charge would capture all homes consuming media regardless of the technology used.

I hope that this doesn't turn into another fund to keep the well connected in jobs. You cannot really define what is 'independent' media anyway.

There is plenty of demand for quality media in Ireland - they just haven't figured out how to charge people for it the way the FT and NY Times have. Or maybe the quality just isn't there.

Also, if this levy is collected by general taxation it should be subject to Oireachtas scrutiny and approval like all other taxes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:18 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
I hope that this doesn't turn into another fund to keep the well connected in jobs. You cannot really define what is 'independent' media anyway.

There is plenty of demand for quality media in Ireland - they just haven't figured out how to charge people for it the way the FT and NY Times have. Or maybe the quality just isn't there.

Also, if this levy is collected by general taxation it should be subject to Oireachtas scrutiny and approval like all other taxes.

If "independent media" starts taking government money that they can no longer be regarded as independent since such funds will come with strings (i.e. connected persons) attached. It also highlights another problem with RTE, if you take a town with 8,000 households then that is sucking over €1 million out of the local economy (€1.4 million when the licence fee increase goes ahead). How much will that proposed redistribution of funds return to the local economy?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:54 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Minister examining revision of television licence fee

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/06 ... cence-fee/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Revenue could be tasked with collecting TV licence under new outsourcing plans
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/r ... 19912.html

Minister for Communications, Denis Naughten is preparing a memo that will propose Revenue or an outsourced provider are the best options to tackle the issue, according to the Sunday Business Post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43