Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Urban v Rural
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 am 
Neo Landlord

Hello folks,
Long time reader of this site.

Quick question on what people feel about urban v rural living?

Not really interested in the financial impact of one or the other. More so the quality of life aspect.

Is it something people would aspire to or be completely opposed to.

By rural, I mean 15-20 min outside a town in the open countryside, but close to schools, pubs, shops, work etc. Still, no streetlights and a drive to wherever you want to go. No staggering home from the pub.

Anybody moved from one to the other? How did that work out?

Post subject: Re: Urban v Rural
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 pm 
Property Magnate

Grew up in the country side living in Dublin now definitely would prefer to live in a town or city to the country side.

In urban areas the car for many tasks is optional not essential. The amenities are better and closer and there more public transport options. Having to drive everywhere and pay through the nose for a taxi to get home gets old real quick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:10 pm 
Nationalised

The answer will be different for people. It is down to personality & lifestyle really!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I honestly can't understand the desire to live in any location where they only way you can get anywhere is by driving.

It restricts your lifestyle completely - taxis whenever you want to go out at night (often in both directions), you become a full time chauffeur for 17 years if you have kids, you miss out on dozens of casual social interactions, you end up killing local enterprise since you end up shopping in larger towns further away, as you become elderly you become extremely isolated, and if for some reason you ever lose the ability to drive you're absolutely fuckered.

What ever happened to the idea of living in a village?
It's rural, you can have some space, you can be within walking distance of schools, local shops, pubs, your kids can walk places and easily meet their friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I grew up in the city but often visited the countryside. The city is great as closer to amenities better social life etc but I love the countryside for its peace and quite.

Also urban life is much cheaper and enviromentally less damaging than country life.

"Abortion is the only event that modern liberals think too violent and obscene to portray on TV. This is not because they are squeamish or prudish. It is because if people knew what Abortion really looked like, it would destroy their pretence that it is a civilized answer to the problem of what to do about unwanted babies." ~ Peter Hitchen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:18 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Some people thrive on green fields, bucolic bliss, nature etc. Others thrive on the very close proximity of a multitude of neighbours/buzz/brightness of streetnights in the dismal winter evenings.

Ask yourself the following question:

Which of the following categories of holiday destination would you chose:

A) New York city/ London/Paris/a week-end break in Dublin or Prague.
B) A stay in a holiday home in Connemara/ a chalet in the Swiss Alps/ a cottage in beautiful countryside in England or Kerry/driving around some country in a camper van but avoiding the cities for the most part.

If you'd prefer A, then chances are you are best suited to urban living. If B, then chances are you are best suited to rural living.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:20 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

jess wrote:
I honestly can't understand the desire to live in any location where they only way you can get anywhere is by driving.

It restricts your lifestyle completely - taxis whenever you want to go out at night (often in both directions), you become a full time chauffeur for 17 years if you have kids, you miss out on dozens of casual social interactions, you end up killing local enterprise since you end up shopping in larger towns further away, as you become elderly you become extremely isolated, and if for some reason you ever lose the ability to drive you're absolutely fuckered.

What ever happened to the idea of living in a village?
It's rural, you can have some space, you can be within walking distance of schools, local shops, pubs, your kids can walk places and easily meet their friends.

+1 (notwithstanding my last post :) )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:21 pm 
Single Home Owner

random punter wrote:
Grew up in the country side living in Dublin now definitely would prefer to live in a town or city to the country side.

In urban areas the car for many tasks is optional not essential. The amenities are better and closer and there more public transport options. Having to drive everywhere and pay through the nose for a taxi to get home gets old real quick.

I too grew up in the country side. Lived in Dublin for 6 years.... I really appreciated having amenities on the doorstep (cinema, pub, gigs), better services (broadband, waste, no more 2 mile trek to the shop etc.). I didn't have the cost of running a car and if I wanted a bottle of wine (or even an ATM!) I could just take a walk down the street. Getting to the airport didn't involve leaving the house 6 hours before the flight.

I'm in the process of moving back home to the country now though. I won't miss street lighting, traffic and the sound of traffic, Dublin Bus, housing estates, surly teenagers, the worry that the new neighbour will be a bollix, dog shit. From my own experience I'd also like to raise kids outside of an urban/suburban environment, for their benefit as well as my own.

I think whether you prefer one or the other depends on your own personality, hobbies, outlook on life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I could only live in an urban area, would hate to be over reliant on a car, prefer a quick walk/cycle to shops etc and to commute to work. Also an other major problem I would have with rural living is the lack off street lights at night time, could never go for an evening run/cycle in winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 pm 
Too Big to Fail

If it's something you want to try then rent for a year or two, especially through the winter. I did it once but found I couldn't bare having to get into the car in the dark evenings just to go into town to do something. Probably better to live on the edge of small town so you can have the country for your back garden but be able to walk without fearing being hit on the backroads.
Another thing to note is if you do view somewhere isolated make note of the fields around you. What can seem blissful one evening can turn very unrelaxing when the noisy harvesters with very strong lights rattle on into the small hours.
I was glad to be back in urbanity but at least I got the good life out of the system. As I said try renting, it might suit you, it may not.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property