Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1411 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Supermarkets
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:39 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 1, 1970
Posts: 23318
Split from Signs of Depression thread... work away.

dipole wrote:
http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/superquinn-dunnes-lose-large-market-share-as-aldi-soars-3206670.html

LIDL and ALDI continue to gain market share and more power to them I say.


Yes that is the way but there is the negative felt on multiple other balances sheets. So the net gain is not stability in the short term. Balances sheet aka the pocket of the people may improve but it is relative to diminished earnings/incomes.

_________________
Follow The Pin - https://twitter.com/dailypinster

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:43 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Dec 28, 2006
Posts: 5579
"The overall value of the Irish grocery market fell 0.9pc over the year to August 5."
People simply can't afford the rip-off prices of TESCO, Dunnes and SuperQuinn anymore.

If the basic necessities of life are too expensive in Ireland then the nation is uncompetitive and earnings/incomes will be diminished anyhow as jobs move overseas to nations where the inhabitants needs to be paid less just to subsist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Supermarkets - Foods Cost on Living
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 1, 1970
Posts: 23318
dipole wrote:
"The overall value of the Irish grocery market fell 0.9pc over the year to August 5."
People simply can't afford the rip-off prices of TESCO, Dunnes and SuperQuinn anymore.

If the basic necessities of life are too expensive in Ireland then the nation is uncompetitive and earnings/incomes will be diminished anyhow as jobs move overseas to nations where the inhabitants needs to be paid less just to subsist.


The majority of products are not the basic necessities of life. If its got branding and marketing behind it shouting at you to buy it you probably don't need it particularly when it's the food end of the market.

_________________
Follow The Pin - https://twitter.com/dailypinster

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Dec 28, 2006
Posts: 5579
In pure KGs the amount of product you can purchase in a LIDL or ALDI in Germany for €10 is very impressive; fruit juice, fresh fruit, veg, dairy, bread, lightly processed food of all descriptions are all very cheap and much cheaper than I remember in LIDL Ireland.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:10 pm 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31932
Location: Tullamore
dipole wrote:
In pure KGs the amount of product you can purchase in a LIDL or ALDI in Germany for €10 is very impressive; fruit juice, fresh fruit, veg, dairy, bread, lightly processed food of all descriptions are all very cheap and much cheaper than I remember in LIDL Ireland.

I dunno, the fruit and veg in the local Lidl and Aldi in Tullamore is pretty cheap, good quality, and has large sourcing in Ireland (i.e. Irish-sourced where the crop exists).

_________________
"It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good."

So long and thanks for all the fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 11764
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
yoganmahew wrote:
dipole wrote:
In pure KGs the amount of product you can purchase in a LIDL or ALDI in Germany for €10 is very impressive; fruit juice, fresh fruit, veg, dairy, bread, lightly processed food of all descriptions are all very cheap and much cheaper than I remember in LIDL Ireland.

I dunno, the fruit and veg in the local Lidl and Aldi in Tullamore is pretty cheap, good quality, and has large sourcing in Ireland (i.e. Irish-sourced where the crop exists).
+1. Aldi veg is usually great, certainly compared with the compost Dunnes sell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Supermarkets - Foods Cost on Living
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:32 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Posts: 3646
Location: Cathair na dTreabh
I remember when Lidl came to my town about 11 years ago. Their arrival automatically caused the other supermarkets to lower/match their prices and improve quality for key groceries. It was very noticeable.
Now there is a Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco and an Aldi within a 5 minute walk radius. Lidl & Aldi quality of food is excellent particularly their fruit&veg and imported continental foodstuffs such as ham.
I hope Irish consumers continue to switch from branded products to generic store versions and shop around for the best deals.

_________________
'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing & moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something,' - Bertie Ahern 04/07/07


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Supermarkets - Foods Cost on Living
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:32 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Posts: 3780
Location: Bogtrotterland!
temene wrote:
I remember when Lidl came to my town about 11 years ago. Their arrival automatically caused the other supermarkets to lower/match their prices and improve quality for key groceries. It was very noticeable.
Now there is a Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco and an Aldi within a 5 minute walk radius. Lidl & Aldi quality of food is excellent particularly their fruit&veg and imported continental foodstuffs such as ham.
I hope Irish consumers continue to switch from branded products to generic store versions and shop around for the best deals.

Or even better, cut out the middlemen and buy directly from farmers markets whenever possible.

_________________
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence, and anyone who can read without moving his lips should know it by now: Brooks Stevens.
Planned obsolescence, one of the largest contributors to the man made element of climate change, but the one least discussed: dolanbaker
"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Jun 5, 2008
Posts: 1499
dipole wrote:
"The overall value of the Irish grocery market fell 0.9pc over the year to August 5."
People simply can't afford the rip-off prices of TESCO, Dunnes and SuperQuinn anymore.

If the basic necessities of life are too expensive in Ireland then the nation is uncompetitive and earnings/incomes will be diminished anyhow as jobs move overseas to nations where the inhabitants needs to be paid less just to subsist.



thank God for lidl and Aldi....

Great for saving the few bob every week compared to the other clowns!!!

_________________
What condition was the property in for each of the properties you are saying the bottom is in for!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Supermarkets - Foods Cost on Living
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:19 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jan 31, 2009
Posts: 1602
What is most startling in today's grocery stats is the phenomenal growth of Aldi.

From the Indo:

Quote:
German discounter Aldi posted the biggest gain. Its market share soared 25.2pc (in the last 12 weeks).


Top
 Profile  
 



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1411 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com