Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1957 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Irish Water (meters) thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:13 pm 
Nationalised

GameBlame wrote:
Two things
1 FF's cock ups are titanic but Irish Water and the charging regime were designed and implemented by FG. Irish Water is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fine Gael.

2. Water charges were brought in after Enda's announcement that austerity was over ! What a cock up !

Fine Gael? Cock up? I find that hard to believe.

On an unrelated note, I wonder was Michael Noonan's plan to get the price of water 'up a bit', and bring about a national water shortage with spiralling prices a couple of years later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:39 pm 
Property Magnate

Barney Gumble wrote:
GameBlame wrote:
Two things
1 FF's cock ups are titanic but Irish Water and the charging regime were designed and implemented by FG. Irish Water is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fine Gael.

2. Water charges were brought in after Enda's announcement that austerity was over ! What a cock up !

Fine Gael? Cock up? I find that hard to believe.

On an unrelated note, I wonder was Michael Noonan's plan to get the price of water 'up a bit', and bring about a national water shortage with spiralling prices a couple of years later.

That's exactly what will happen!
Low investment now, infrastructure not being repaired or developed - let alone being future-proofed - leading to a "water shortage" in Dublin if we get more than 2 weeks dry weather this summer.
Meanwhile water flows to waste, mainly from the mains pipes leaks, but also from Jimmy who just can't be bothered to fix the leaking hose, and Mary the neighbour who will water the garden for an hour each night of the drought.
Bolt on any likely EU fine, and the plan looks like it's working out like gangbusters... except for the taxpayer - they'll see a larger diversion of general taxation to water. But "thankfully" they'll never know.
:sick:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 am 
Nationalised

FTBer wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:

Low investment now, infrastructure not being repaired or developed - let alone being future-proofed - leading to a "water shortage" in Dublin if we get more than 2 weeks dry weather this summer.
Standard way to privatise public services. They've been doing the same thing across every aspect of our society. Fascinating to watch how much the Irish people are prepared to suffer before they wake up to it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Must be hard for the Unions trying to keep all the plates spinning on the IW fiasco
1. protesting on the Saturday
2. defending pay/bonuses on the Monday

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-si ... 4-Apr2017/
Quote:
SIPTU says Irish Water workers are not overpaid after reports of €5,000 bonuses for all staff
It’s reported that staff receive perks such as car allowances and fitness instructors as well as health insurance packages for executives and their spouses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am 
Nationalised

Coles2 wrote:
FTBer wrote:
Barney Gumble wrote:

Standard way to privatise public services. They've been doing the same thing across every aspect of our society. Fascinating to watch how much the Irish people are prepared to suffer before they wake up to it.

Does anyone remember the good old days when telecoms were a public service? My parents were on a waiting list for 4 years to get a phone installed. The good old days, eh? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

temene wrote:

Whatever about item 2 and 4, items 1 and 3 on that list seem utterly unsurprising to me. 5% of workers on over €100k? Doesn't seem insane. Performance related payment? Doesn't pretty much every private company do this too? A portion of remuneration being variable, and dependent on receiving reasonable performance reviews? Are we seriously arguing that the standard public sector pay regime is the best way of getting top performance out of people???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:55 am 
Nationalised

muirgheasa wrote:
temene wrote:

Whatever about item 2 and 4, items 1 and 3 on that list seem utterly unsurprising to me. 5% of workers on over €100k? Doesn't seem insane. Performance related payment? Doesn't pretty much every private company do this too? A portion of remuneration being variable, and dependent on receiving reasonable performance reviews? Are we seriously arguing that the standard public sector pay regime is the best way of getting top performance out of people???

Generally if you offer a carrot (bonuses) there also has to be a stick (losing your job, or at least not getting your bonus). Given the union situation in Irish Water they appear to have all carrots and no sticks. Everyone gets their bonus, no-one performed poorly. Right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:51 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Mantissa wrote:
muirgheasa wrote:
temene wrote:

Generally if you offer a carrot (bonuses) there also has to be a stick (losing your job, or at least not getting your bonus). Given the union situation in Irish Water they appear to have all carrots and no sticks. Everyone gets their bonus, no-one performed poorly. Right.

Or everyone got a bonus proportional to their performance? I don't know, but the headline is kinda describing a functional company. I don't deny that, behind the scenes, it may be making a pig's ear of things.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Fudge, I mean report, passed by the committee today
http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0411/866843 ... r-charges/
Quote:
Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael supported the report, while other parties and groups voted against it. The report re-instates the words excessive usage and imposes levies on those that use excessive amounts of water.
It bases excessive usage on 1.7 times the average household usage, with consideration being given to average individual usage of 133 litres per person per day.
It also states meters should be installed in all new builds.

Looks like a major FF climbdown to me after all their luster over the past few days. Cowen was on the news tonight acting the hard man as usual..."if anyone ever gets a water bill again, give me a call. I don't expect to get many calls'
He proudly proclaimed that Irish households will never see a water bill again.

Of course FG climbed down on this several times by this stage. A puppet Govt.

SF were on the radio earlier saying this was another bin charges in the making...that the door to charges has been left open through the 'excessive use' clause.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Fuck me are people still talking about bloody water charges XX

It's not like there's anything more important going on the country XD

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:18 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Fianna Fail are like a see saw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:36 pm 
Too Big to Fail

temene wrote:
Fianna Fail are like a see saw

A populist see saw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I caught a news bulletin on Irish Water Jobstown trial this evening. The defense seems to be: it was her own fault, she is well to do, the protesters are poor, she deserved what she got. Now I'm no legal eagle, but this seems lie a pretty risky strategy. If they don't mount a proper defense, they will get found guilty of false imprisonment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:46 am 
Nationalised

Magpie wrote:
I caught a news bulletin on Irish Water Jobstown trial this evening. The defense seems to be: it was her own fault, she is well to do, the protesters are poor, she deserved what she got. Now I'm no legal eagle, but this seems lie a pretty risky strategy. If they don't mount a proper defense, they will get found guilty of false imprisonment.

It's almost like they want to go to jail for some reason, is it?

I never understand why Marxists bother with any political action at all as a central belief of Marxism is that the revolution is inevitable anyway. Why not get on with life and let it happen?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 am 
Nationalised

Barney Gumble wrote:
It's almost like they want to go to jail for some reason, is it?

Here's hoping Judge Greally can see her way to granting their wish. :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1957 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 131  Next