Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Dublin's tech tigerland - sham or real deal?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 pm 
IMF'd

@mightyz
You forgot to mention that the standard of english and other european languages is also very good in Poland - at least in Krakow where I'm just back from. There's also time zone considerations - at least some crossover with the US and pretty much all day with the rest of Europe (GMT+1).

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Not sure if there is a more recent thread on this but any updates on current Dublin IT Jobs market. My other-half is trying to get back in after about 5 years out. Was a Senior Dev beforehand (15 years - Java mainly) - 70Kpa ish. Has re-skilled in the meantime (android/ios). Any tips on where to look and what's happening out there?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:32 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

AWAAF wrote:
Not sure if there is a more recent thread on this but any updates on current Dublin IT Jobs market. My other-half is trying to get back in after about 5 years out. Was a Senior Dev beforehand (15 years - Java mainly) - 70Kpa ish. Has re-skilled in the meantime (android/ios). Any tips on where to look and what's happening out there?

The job market is very good for developers. I'm getting a lot of contact from talent acquisition people on linkedin. There's always speculative contact from recruitment consultants - but there's a lot more now from people placed within companies as recruiters to expand teams.

There's certainly plenty of work in the dot com 2.0 types. It wouldn't be for me, personally, but there's lots of work there.

Citi have a large mobile/tablet dev shop which is worth a look.

The market will sustain 70k for senior dev at your OH's level. Any more can be difficult unless interviewing directly for a tech lead / architect role. What's been going on for the last 5 years? Education? Or do you mean moving back to Dublin after 5 years?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:36 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

jammyBastard wrote:
AWAAF wrote:

The job market is very good for developers. I'm getting a lot of contact from talent acquisition people on linkedin. There's always speculative contact from recruitment consultants - but there's a lot more now from people placed within companies as recruiters to expand teams.

There's certainly plenty of work in the dot com 2.0 types. It wouldn't be for me, personally, but there's lots of work there.

Citi have a large mobile/tablet dev shop which is worth a look.

The market will sustain 70k for senior dev at your OH's level. Any more can be difficult unless interviewing directly for a tech lead / architect role. What's been going on for the last 5 years? Education? Or do you mean moving back to Dublin after 5 years?

I know Citi didn't renew some contractor positions in the last few weeks so perhaps they have vacancies but getting work for a decent length of time out of them might be a problem
My company in Dublin have positions actively advertised but when I enquired from HR about them on Friday for a relation they said that they were on hold.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:15 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

thanks for the replies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 pm 
Single Home Owner

Reviving this thread because things seem to be on the up and up for tech and developers

June 2018 Amazon 1000 jobs
https://www.siliconrepublic.com/jobs/am ... in-ireland

July 2018 Dun Laoghaire Ferry Terminal to be converted to tech hub = 1000 jobs
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environ ... -1.3582265

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 am 
Real Estate Developer

fuse wrote:
Reviving this thread because things seem to be on the up and up for tech and developers

June 2018 Amazon 1000 jobs
https://www.siliconrepublic.com/jobs/am ... in-ireland

July 2018 Dun Laoghaire Ferry Terminal to be converted to tech hub = 1000 jobs
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environ ... -1.3582265

Things have been “on the up”for some time now.
Problem though: there isn’t as such enough people already. I have been looking to hire a couple of SW developers over the last few months, and 75% of CVs require some sort of work permit or visa sponsoring.
So only about a quarter EU candidates, of which there’s very few locals.
Salary expectations (especially from people with 7+ years work experience) are “mad”, well, until you take into account the rental situation in Dublin. It is effing bananas.

Edit: interestingly, quite an uptick of applicants from UK in the last few months, who are looking to move due to Brexit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 am 
Single Home Owner

Yeah seeing the same. Majority of applications are just "giving it a lash". People with the right experience are in demand and can pick & choose.
So we're bringing in lots from abroad, who need to rent and can afford the crazy prices, pushing others away.

The housing problem is probably one of the factors putting off more tech companies setting up here.
Although on the jobs side I am seeing more tech jobs appear in Galway, Sligo, Belfast, Cork which is a great thing.
Remote working needs to be supported, understood and managed so that it can be the norm and could help ease the pressures of commuting and distance from the city.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:27 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I like the ferry terminal conversion, this place has great potential for office space.

Quote:
Remote working needs to be supported, understood and managed so that it can be the norm and could help ease the pressures of commuting and distance from the city.

Irish seems to be very against remote work.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm 
Real Estate Developer

mightyz wrote:
I like the ferry terminal conversion, this place has great potential for office space.

Quote:

Irish seems to be very against remote work.

Which is sad, because a lot of the office spaces are pretty sh!te in terms of desks, air con, acoustics, person / sqm, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11