Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Irexit / Eirexit, call it want you want. They want out!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:19 am 
Private Tenant

Quote:

IREXIT? Ireland MUST reassess ‘SLAVISH devotion to EU’ says former ambassador
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... ay-bassett

IRELAND’s “slavish” devotion to the European Union is effectively blinding it to the inherent risks of remaining tethered to Brussels, as well as the importance of restoring good relations with Britain after Brexit, a former diplomat has warned.

The ambassador quoted is Ray Bassett, who spent precisely 0 days in his career working on EU policy. He worked mostly in Foreign Affair's old Anglo-Irish Division with his most significant positions being minding the shop in Belfast after the GFA and ambassador to Canada.

A respectable career no doubt but Ireland's equivalent to Ivan Rodgers he is not. Professionally, he has no more insight into the EU than a random Principal Officer in the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.

His lack of EU knowledge and experience is seen in the reports that he has been paid to produce for the UK-based, anti-EU advocacy organisation Policy Exchange. They are littered with simple errors of fact on the EU and how it operates. Faulty premises inevitably led to fanciful conclusions.

He should not be relied on as an authority on matters EU. A less charitable person might describe him as a charlatan.

Post subject: Re: Irexit/Eirexit, call it want you want. We want out!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:30 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I would be surprised if this topic gets 20 posts!

Post subject: Re: Irexit/Eirexit, call it want you want. They want out!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:43 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

D4000 wrote:
He should not be relied on as an authority on matters EU. A less charitable person might describe him as a charlatan.

You do realise this is a property discussion forum for people who aren't "authorities" on property ? Are we charlatans so ?

Post subject: Re: Irexit/Eirexit, call it want you want. They want out!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:35 pm 
IMF'd

GameBlame wrote:
You do realise this is a property discussion forum for people who aren't "authorities" on property ? Are we charlatans so ?

Oh, absolutely, but only if we're claiming to be authorities and paid for it. There are some professionals on here speaking in a personal capacity (no doubt), and a lot of opinionated people (myself to the fore), but I don't know that any of us are claiming particular expertise. That a random collection of amateurs could see the crash coming, predict roughly the severity in general and in relation to specfic actions taken (see the day/week of the guarantee for example), tells you how corrupted by fees the experts were (hint, which one of them, apart from maybe Ronan Lyons, talked down their paymaster's prospects?).

I view Mr. Bassett in much the same light. Perhaps not a charlatan, but maybe corrupt?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:24 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

You don't have to be in favour if Irexit to acknowledge the reality that there's certainly a coherent argument against 'ever closer' political union....the Irish version of the GFC itself was partly as a direct result of membership of the euro along with interest rates being set with an eye very firmly on the German economy to the exclusion of everybody else.

To paraphrase somebody else you either have a country or you don't....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

A no deal Brexit may force the Mainland EU to consider Ireland as a "remote" exclave and impose customs controls on all products as they cannot guarantee that they are exclusively Irish/EU.
This is a situation that will sit very uncomfortably with many here.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

This gang likely has links to the anti-EU strand of roman catholicism.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:15 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:

The what now??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm 
IMF'd

slasher wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:

The what now??

The strand that doesn't like the EU liberal agenda.

@dolanbaker
I don't think there'll be internal borders within the EU, that's Daily Mail scaremongering. To institute internal borders between Ireland and anyone else would amount to as much a dismantling of the single market as allowing the UK to have their cake and eat it.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:34 pm 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:

I don't think there'll be internal borders within the EU, that's Daily Mail scaremongering. To institute internal borders between Ireland and anyone else would amount to as much a dismantling of the single market as allowing the UK to have their cake and eat it.

No, this is my own opinion based on the fact that there is a greater chance of "no deal" than "bad deal", it will depend on which border is the least important, the one to sacrifice.
The ROI - NI, GB - NI or ROI & UK - rest of Europe. The ROI - NI border will be the one defended the most by the Irish, the GB - NI border will be defended by the UK, but how hard will the EU defend the ROI - EU border?

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property