Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Irish Education system. Bork central
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The savings argument is bogus.

As a teenager my parents used to buy 'school shoes' once a year that I always grew out of before they wore out.

It would have been more cost-effective to just let kids wear their regular shoes, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm 
Nationalised

shweeney wrote:
This is always the reason given but it's bull IMO - French schools don't have uniforms, most US schools, many of the Educate Together schools here too. I'm not aware that bullying is any worse in those schools than in schools with uniforms - kids will always find some way to cause trouble.

I often wonder whether the US highschool experience familiar from US TV and cinema is indeed the nightmare-level bully free-for-all it is portrayed as. And we can learn just about nothing from French schools, which are generally a disaster.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
The savings argument is bogus.

As a teenager my parents used to buy 'school shoes' once a year that I always grew out of before they wore out.

It would have been more cost-effective to just let kids wear their regular shoes, etc.

I disagree. It depends on how prescriptive it is vs generic. My son can wear whatever shoes he wants, including runners, as long as they're mostly black. We don't have to buy anything he doesn't already wear, and there's no whinging asking for Nikes or whatever other kids have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Mantissa wrote:
I disagree. It depends on how prescriptive it is vs generic. My son can wear whatever shoes he wants, including runners, as long as they're mostly black. We don't have to buy anything he doesn't already wear, and there's no whinging asking for Nikes or whatever other kids have.

But is that the norm for most secondary schools these days?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:37 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
Mantissa wrote:

But is that the norm for most secondary schools these days?

I have no idea. The point is that a uniform can be extremely cost-effective if done right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 am 
IMF'd

Mantissa wrote:
lombardox wrote:
Why not do away with uniforms altogether and let them wear their normal clothes?

Uniforms if done correctly (i.e. generic) save significant amounts of money and also help to eliminate one sort of elitism and bullying.

Right. And they make the children easier to track on outings.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:55 pm 
Nationalised

Quote:

According to Dr. Robert Epstein, adolescence is an artificial construct of recent vintage, unknown in earlier times or indeed in many parts of the world today. The creation of this category, and the assumptions that inform it (by state and society alike) have harmed young people, he argues, and are responsible for the anxiety and angst we associate with the teenage years. These problems are not evident in cultures that lack this category.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:23 am 
IMF'd

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-co ... y-reading/
Quote:
Hats off to the country's ten-year-olds. When it comes to reading, across the EU and OECD our girls and boys truly are second to none.

In this highly-regarded international study, they've completely outclassed their peers in 43 countries and regions, and are neck-and-neck with another four, including Northern Ireland and Poland.

Just two countries, Singapore and Russia, are significantly ahead of us.

Okay, Emma O'Kelly does not appear to understand what "second to none" means, but nonetheless, a good news education story considering the study measures broadness of ability rather than just top level.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:36 am 
Nationalised

Sixth to none?

There is a lot of focus in primary schools now to improve basic skills and the STEN system identifies children or classes that require extra assistance. Hopefully it won't result in added pressure on kids. Secondary school is a nightmare now compared to when I went through it in the 1830s.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:04 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

'Too many Irish teachers in Irish schools' shocker. If this is what passes for academic research in our Universities, it's no wonder they continue to tumble down the ranks

Primary teachers disproportionately white, Irish and Catholic
NUI Galway finds Irish-nationality teachers ‘significantly overrepresented’
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educati ... -1.3642624
Quote:
The majority of trainee primary school teachers are white, Irish and Catholic and do not reflect our diverse population, new research has found.
Dr Manuela Heinz and Dr Elaine Keane, from the school of education in NUI Galway, have carried out the first comprehensive and nationwide study in Ireland which explores the socio-demographic backgrounds of entrants to primary teacher education programmes.
According to the Central Statistics Office, 11.6 per cent of the population identify as non-Irish, while 82.2 per cent of the population identify as white Irish.
However, some 99 per cent of trainee teachers identified as white Irish and 100 per cent of them said English or Irish was their first language.

And not a mention that the vast vast majority of teachers are women. You'll note that the 2 female authors don't mention that most obvious fact but such are the times we live in

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:33 pm 
Too Big to Fail

FreeFallin wrote:
'Too many Irish teachers in Irish schools' shocker. If this is what passes for academic research in our Universities, it's no wonder they continue to tumble down the ranks

Primary teachers disproportionately white, Irish and Catholic
NUI Galway finds Irish-nationality teachers ‘significantly overrepresented’
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educati ... -1.3642624
Quote:
The majority of trainee primary school teachers are white, Irish and Catholic and do not reflect our diverse population, new research has found.
Dr Manuela Heinz and Dr Elaine Keane, from the school of education in NUI Galway, have carried out the first comprehensive and nationwide study in Ireland which explores the socio-demographic backgrounds of entrants to primary teacher education programmes.
According to the Central Statistics Office, 11.6 per cent of the population identify as non-Irish, while 82.2 per cent of the population identify as white Irish.
However, some 99 per cent of trainee teachers identified as white Irish and 100 per cent of them said English or Irish was their first language.

And not a mention that the vast vast majority of teachers are women. You'll note that the 2 female authors don't mention that most obvious fact but such are the times we live in

In a country that has English as a first language and Irish as a second, what's wrong with that!

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:36 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

As I said, an amazing piece of research. I wonder did they get a grant from some of the usual culprits

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:24 pm 
Property Magnate

A trainee teacher today would probably have been born some time in the mid to late 90s,when Ireland was still almost 100% "natives" so I would say that the demographics they cite are actually perfectly proportionate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:01 am 
Under CAB Investigation

theschmuck wrote:
A trainee teacher today would probably have been born some time in the mid to late 90s,when Ireland was still almost 100% "natives" so I would say that the demographics they cite are actually perfectly proportionate.

We know, so who is paying for this BS, and why ?

I expect to see more of this shite in the future, its strange that the people who produce this stuff refuse to notice all kinds of other disproportionate demographic representations

If I didn't know better I would swear they had an agenda :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 am 
Of Systemic Importance

It's very important that this stuff is opposed and not allowed gain traction as it has elsewhere.

As an aside I wonder what is the nationality of the majority of Irish Times journalists.....and (assuming most are Irish) whether any of them are prepared to stand aside in the interest of diversity?

Indeed, given that Catholicism is the largest religion in Ireland, does the logic of their own diversity mantra thereby require that a significant number of practising Catholics be employed by the IT so as to ensure their workforce is representative of the broader population ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next