Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sloppy sloppy journalism
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Journo changes man's gender
Indo - Homeless woman with terminal cancer granted emergency homeless accommodation
Louth County Council has agreed to provide 6 months emergency homeless accommodation to Mr Rostas who is currently ill in hospital.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Things have gone a little odd at the Irish Times.

Kitty Holland has tweeted a surreptitiously taken photo of her colleagues talking to Sean Spicer. I think it is Simon Carswell and Peter Murtagh.
Quote:
Sean Spicer and the boys having the chats in the @IrishTimes newsroom...It's a man thing

At very least it is derogatory of her colleagues and the fact that she is taking it secretly in the workplace is pretty..............weird.

Last edited by Skippy 3 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:12 am 
Nationalised

Nothing odd about it. Kitty is doing her female journalistic duty -- surveilling the evil patriarchy right there in the belly of the beast.

As someone tweeted back: "outrageous, just hanging there with testicles on!!".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

someone who hangs on a politicians every word is not happy when Sean Spicer enters the hallowed ground at Tara st

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:53 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Thing Fish wrote:
someone who hangs on a politicians every word is not happy when Sean Spicer enters the hallowed ground at Tara st

Yep, I thought Tara St would be a 'safe space'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm 
Nationalised

tweet deleted?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:15 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Bogman wrote:
Thing Fish wrote:

Yep, I thought Tara St would be a 'safe space'.

maybe its the cubicles that house the bloggers is where the safe space is.

The tweet is gone alright. :nin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Strange piece here by Una Mullally about how the media is too conservative to miss the grass roots movement she's witnessing on (her) ground. If anything, the risk is surely the opposite - that the Irish Times expects a clear win for Repeal when there is plenty of unease in all communities, especially in rural areas, about what will follow. (I'll prob vote to repeal, fyi).

Mullally complains that the media is mostly male - which may be true in the senior political correspondent ranks - but is generally not at all true. She complains of how the 'largely heterosexual media' covered the marriage equality referendum which she frames as an LGMT+ issue. Does she want LGBT+ quota? How could that be justified?

There's a sense that people who aren't gay shouldn't have had as much of a say in the marriage equality referendum. That's mental. I voted for it (male, straight) and am glad it passed but all adults are entitled to vote on constitutional matters. It's a bit like saying men shouldn't vote on abortion. Or sterile women. Or lesbians.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 am 
Too Big to Fail

I agree. It's as though the mainstream media are telling us what the narrative should be, how we should think and if we don't agree, we are wrong.
This referendum looks like a close call imo.

Can you imagine if a man wrote a similar piece?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am 
Of Systemic Importance

temene wrote:
It's as though the mainstream media are telling us what the narrative should be, how we should think and if we don't agree, we are wrong.

We're replaced the Catholic Church with the MSM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am 
Under CAB Investigation

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 am 
Nationalised

Ixelles wrote:
Mullally complains that the media is mostly male - which may be true in the senior political correspondent ranks - but is generally not at all true. She complains of how the 'largely heterosexual media' covered the marriage equality referendum which she frames as an LGMT+ issue. Does she want LGBT+ quota? How could that be justified?

I genuinely believe she already benefits from informal quota - how else can her slapdash writing be justified?

Haven't read that article because of paywall, but her previous piece was just awful in every respect, total blog standard stuff - littered with "I"s and "we"s.
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/una- ... -1.3454608
Quote:
The sensationalism and surrealism of the trial was amplified by it being concurrent with the Six Nations. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I couldn’t watch the matches.

I eventually capitulated and watched the final brilliant game against England in my local pub, the magic of winning the Grand Slam on St Patrick’s Day still tainted with the off-pitch goings on.

WTAF?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/una- ... -1.3445553

"Decent men are despondent. The men I know are livid. They’re disgusted by those WhatsApp messages, and feel sorry for what the young woman was put through during the trial."
:?

notable, Paddy Jackson had his contract essentially on terminated on the basis of the infamous Whatsapp messages - Mullally manages to misquote one of the very few he sent, despite their having been reported in court ...

“There was a lot of spit” becomes “There was a lot of spit roast last night,”

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/una- ... -1.3445553

"It is time now to lobby effectively for reform in trials of sexual assault" - hmm different jurisdiction ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Quote:
I have spoken many times about the Irish media’s tendency to be disconnected from the social change that happens from the ground up. I’m sure this point of view annoys many of my colleagues, especially considering journalists are meant to be the ones “in the know”. My personal (unpopular) analysis is that while journalists as individuals are made up of all political persuasions and points of view, there is an odd conservatism of thought that permeates the industry.

What a hero she is to stand up to her right-wing extremist colleagues at the Irish Times...
How could it be that Mullally's self-centred and anecdotal analysis sees what's 'really going on' in Ireland while politicians and other commentators cannot? She might think she has a 'diverse' social network but that doesn't mean it's representative. She should campaign beyond the Pale if she wants a rounded view.

On the marriage equality referendum:

Quote:
In general, mainstream media simply did not “get” the marriage equality campaign, and often missed what was happening on the ground. Right up until the vote, newspapers and panel shows were still churning out stuff about how “ No” could sneak a win. To anyone with any knowledge of what was happening on the ground, this was a ridiculous projection.

How was it 'ridiculous'? The result was 63% 'Yes', slightly more than the late polling. Maybe she has a point about journalists framing every campaign as a close-run horse race rather than calling it, but declaring a win for the 'Yes' side of the marriage ref in advance of the vote would have been to declare the debate over prematurely. The result was reasonably close - about as close as some EU treaty refs. Not a landslide like the Good Friday Agreement ref (on articles 2 & 3).

For this ref, the 'Yes' side has far fewer posters and - in my own personal, anecdotal experience... - fewer canvassers. Yet Mullally seems miffed by articles like [ur=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/alarm-at-apparent-lack-of-urgency-in-repeal-campaign-1.3456037l]this from Pat Leahy [/url] pointing out that they have been slower to get going. There was a very successful crowdfunding drive last week by the Repealers - so Leahy's criticism did them a favour.

Ack, the standard is generally so juvenile that I wonder what columnists who broadly share her views - say, Fintan O'Toole or Kathy Sheridan - think of it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

what's Una upset about this week? That the gay marriage referendum crowd didnt turn into a wider political movement?
It was never meant to be. Anyone think that 'Landlord' Pantti and 'room to improve' zappone were going to improve the affordable housing situation for young adults? :oops:
I dont recall a 'home to vote' movement in General Election 2016. you can have all the gay marriage you can want but dont dare seek an answer as to why all tiger era debts must be paid by the taxpayer and why your country was being sold from under your feet to the vultures.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm 
Property Magnate

I think a substantial part of her problem (though she is unwilling to admit this) is that the genuine support for the Marriage Equality Referendum (MER) which was fairly disparate is not being seen in the Repeal the 8th referendum. There is a very cautious approach not on the "Repeal" issue itself but to what may come after when the law is proposed. This is being reported in the mainstream media fairly accurately. It's a source of irritation for many "pro-Repealers" (understandably).

In the MER, the issue was fairly binary. You either supported same sex marriage or you didn't. The Repeal the 8th issue is a lot more complex. Ireland is still a very conservative family orientated society and this audience is proving difficult for the likes of Una et al. They have not learnt to augment their message.

I think the Repeal vote will win on the day but the supporters will have to work a lot harder to carry it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next