Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: The charity sector thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:15 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Thing Fish wrote:
HiFi wrote:
The charity racket...a licence to print money.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/c ... 48072.html

An Irish businessman whose company runs an online fundraising platform for charities around the world has “gone to ground” with €3.8m owed to client charities.

Among the international charities owed money by Peter Conlon’s firm are the UNHCR, the Red Cross and Save the Children.

In his affidavit which was opened to the court, Mr Kirby said the platform took in €5.8m in donations between March 2016 and September 2017. It took in another €396,000 from December 12, 2017 to January 12, 2018.

Rossa Fanning, SC for the liquidator, said in the past week Mr Kirby had discovered there was a €3.8m deficit in funds that ought to have been remitted to the charities. The court heard there is currently just €357,000 in the company’s bank account.

update

Looks like Mr Conlon is in the slammer
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.3376981

If his name sounds familiar, he was head of XSIL viewtopic.php?f=19&t=516&p=159190#p159190

What's in a name? Charidee boss puts the con into Conlon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:39 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Gotta get me a job in the Charideee sector

Volunteer earning €3,000 a week bought cocaine as he 'didn't know what to do with money'
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/c ... 96320.html
Quote:
A VOLUNTEER with a homeless charity caught with cocaine was earning €3,000 a week at the time and didn’t know what to do with his money, a court has heard...
...Mr MacLoughlin also said that Dowling was a volunteer with a charity helping the homeless.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:59 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The article doesn't state that your man was earning €3K a week as Homeless Volunteer. I would imagine a Volunteer doesn't get paid anything more than expenses. My wife is an employee of a charity, she's never referred to as a volunteer. Volunteers are the ordinary joes who come in and help out. I volunteer at a local community group and I've never been paid.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:22 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

tulip wrote:
The article doesn't state that your man was earning €3K a week as Homeless Volunteer. I would imagine a Volunteer doesn't get paid anything more than expenses. My wife is an employee of a charity, she's never referred to as a volunteer. Volunteers are the ordinary joes who come in and help out. I volunteer at a local community group and I've never been paid.

3 grand a week would put that joker onto the Fergus Finlay levels of charidee remuneration. sounds like its a cover story as to how he earns 3k a week :nin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Thing Fish wrote:
tulip wrote:

3 grand a week would put that joker onto the Fergus Finlay levels of charidee remuneration. sounds like its a cover story as to how he earns 3k a week :nin

It's either really crap reporting/editting or an editorial attempt to confuse people into thinking he was earning €3K a week from working with the homeless. It's the Indo so it could be either one.

--Epictetus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 pm 
Nationalised

Quote:
Ataxia is a term for a group of disorders that affect co-ordination, balance and speech. In severe cases it can be fatal.

Back in May
Quote:
Charity Ataxia Ireland is set to be closed with its functions transferred to another body.
The board of the organisation made the announcement in a notice posted on the charity's website. It said it believed the charity "no longer has the trust of its members or the wider public, and this makes fundraising impossible both currently and into the future".

The charity had previously been the subject of an investigation by the Charities Regulatory Authority, which said that there was "a fundamental weakness in the financial management and control of the charity between 2014 and mid-June 2015." The CEO at that time, Barbara Flynn, subsequently launched a High Court challenge against the investigation.

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 00522.html

In the news recently:
Quote:
The man behind a new charity after the closure of controversial Ataxia Ireland has slammed "career CEOs" and said this time, "the members are doing it for themselves."

Wexford man Albert Young, who suffers from the brain condition Friedreich's Ataxia, is now CEO of Ataxia Foundation Ireland (AFI).

He said the charity is "breaking the mould" as five of the seven board members have an Ataxia themselves.

Quote:
Ataxia Ireland was forced to close earlier this year after a damning Charity Regulatory Authority report and its functions were fully transferred to AFI.

The investigation, published in July 2017, discovered that two founding trustees at the charity, Clare and Tim Creedon, were wrongly paid €84,009.

The payments broke Revenue Commissioner rules, which state charity trustees cannot be paid.
It was also learned that its generous funding from the HSE quadrupled over the years. Ataxia Ireland was given €102,383 by the HSE last year - up from €27,934 in 1999.

The charity was reported to have weak internal financial controls and the Creedons' daughter Barbara Flynn, the charity's chief executive, had a pension contribution of €38,500 which was paid from funds rather than from her salary.

In addition to the annual HSE funding, Ataxia Ireland also received yearly lottery payments through the Department of Justice - reaching a high of €109,212 in 2011.

"Now we're starting totally from scratch financially," Mr Young said.

"And we've been contacting as many people as we can about our new charity. It's a small community because it's such a rare disability.

"I think people's confidence will be restored in charities when an organisation does something like what we're doing now," he continued.

"It's the people who were affected that are trying to change things here.

"A lot of members were shocked and surprised at the time of the [Charity Regulatory Authority] report, and really the organisation had been around for some time. Now we're approaching things a different way."

Mr Young said the board has created a number of cost-effective measures for their new charity.

"We designed our own logo, built our own website, we're operating without the use of an office for as long as possible.

"We rent a boardroom from another charity for our monthly management meetings

Quote:
Mr Young previously told Independent.ie he had no regrets on making an official complaint about Ataxia Ireland.

He first became concerned when he noticed that a large number of committee members were leaving the organisation without explanation.

And then later became concerned about finance issues. He then moved to distance himself from the Leopardstown-based charity.

"I could not stay silent and allow funds being donated to the support of members not going to them," he said.

"There were pensioners giving €50 out of their pension to support the charity
."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/m ... 93203.html

Its pretty bad when you screw over pensioners donating money and people with a life changing disease. Good to see a totally different approach to charity being taken here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:21 am 
Property Magnate

The Guardian wrote:

Saudis demanded good publicity over Yemen aid, leaked UN document shows

The UN aid agency, Ocha, was pushed to accept extensive terms attached to $930m from Saudi Arabia and UAE

Saudi Arabia has demanded that aid agencies operating in Yemen should provide favourable publicity for Riyadh’s role in providing $930m (£725m) of humanitarian aid, an internal UN document reveals.

Saudi military intervention in the three-year civil war is widely regarded as a prime cause of the humanitarian disaster that has seen 10,000 civilians killed, and left millions close to starvation. The kingdom intervened in Yemen to restore a UN-recognised government, and push back Iranian-supported Houthi rebels.

Although many donors seek publicity in return for grants, the extent of the Saudi demands are highly unusual.
More...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:47 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Abusive husband demands he be called sound after he hands missus a bag of frozen peas

--Epictetus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:28 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Quote:
Irish businessman Peter Conlon has been convicted of embezzlement in Switzerland after pleading guilty to using almost €4m that was intended for charities to fund his donations technology company.

Conlon, the founder and chief executive of Ammado, has been in custody in Switzerland since being arrested at Zurich airport on December 22 last year.

At a hearing in the District Court in Zurich on Wednesday, he was found guilty and sentenced to three years in prison, with the last two years suspended.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irel ... -25ql5gnz8

Compare and contrast...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32