Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Bin Charge Waiver System abolished end June
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm 
Too Big to Fail

21st century problems. the solar powered bin on the street

(apologies this might not be the most appropriate thread and I'm convinced it was discussed on the pin back in 2016)

the old dumb metal bins worked just fine until they were replaced at great expense by the solar powered bins of the type http://smartdublin.ie/smartstories/smart-bins/

Just saw one of these smart bins sarcophagus-ed by a black binliner indicating that the bin was out of action possibly the compression mechanism failed and had to be taken out of service.. Outside belluci's there in Ballsbridge across the way from the RDS. the old dumb bins kept working fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:36 pm 
Nationalised

Thing Fish wrote:

(apologies this might not be the most appropriate thread and I'm convinced it was discussed on the pin back in 2016)

the old dumb metal bins worked just fine until they were replaced at great expense by the solar powered bins of the type http://smartdublin.ie/smartstories/smart-bins/

Just saw one of these smart bins sarcophagus-ed by a black binliner indicating that the bin was out of action possibly the compression mechanism failed and had to be taken out of service.. Outside belluci's there in Ballsbridge across the way from the RDS. the old dumb bins kept working fine.

Originally the company behind those tried to fund them by proposing to put 3G-connected Wi-Fi hotspots in them. I facepalmed hard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:07 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mantissa wrote:
Thing Fish wrote:

Originally the company behind those tried to fund them by proposing to put 3G-connected Wi-Fi hotspots in them. I facepalmed hard.

Oh dear, I forgot that they used wifi to let the corpo know the bin was full. were they planning to sell wifi hotspot time to the smartphone addicted pedestrian?

Many of the older metal litter bins that were painted blue had been removed and not replaced, possibly sold on to help pay for the big belly bins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:25 pm 
Nationalised

Thing Fish wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
Thing Fish wrote:

Oh dear, I forgot that they used wifi to let the corpo know the bin was full. were they planning to sell wifi hotspot time to the smartphone addicted pedestrian?

They would use 3G to communicate with the council. They were at one point looking for suckers entrepreneurial companies to pay them to offer Wi-Fi from the bin. Why people with 3G on their phones would choose instead to use a Wi-Fi hotspot that then uses 3G shared with other people is beyond me. It's the sort of madness that lead to huge amounts of money being spend on shit Wi-Fi on trains and buses.

As usual WWN gets it: Irish Train Breaks Record For Slowest Wifi Connection

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 am 
Nationalised

NegativeEquity, August 2017 wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Sounds like China has had enough of our dumped nappies and other waste contamination:

IT wrote:
China has confirmed it is to stop taking many types of recycling material by the end of the year, posing a major difficulty for Ireland and other EU countries.

The Chinese government recently notified the World Trade Organisation it intends to ban the import of “all scrap plastics and unsorted paper” by the end of the year. It is a response to the scale of recyclable waste that is often dirty, poorly sorted or contaminated.

Earlier this year Irish containers of paper enroute to China were intercepted in the Netherlands and found to be contaminated. The entire shipment was returned to Ireland, with estimated costs in terms of shipping, lost revenue, landfill charges and taxes in excess of €1 million.

The latest move will hit Europe’s recycling industry very hard – 87 per cent of its plastic waste ends up in China.

More...

Another excuse for the operators to jack up charges again no doubt.

Well anticipated by NegativeEquity ... got a letter from Panda in the last couple of weeks that China has stopped taking our green waste, citing contamination as a cause. Green bin to be charged per lift and per kilo from April.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:25 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

So is Pay by Weight being made compulsory across Ireland gone now or what?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

No, it's only a few companies so far
http://www.moneyguideireland.com/bin-charges.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:15 am 
Nationalised

Why the world’s recycling system stopped working - https://www.ft.com/content/360e2524-d71 ... d6f82e62f8 via @FT
Google the headline if you hit paywall

Time for people to admit recycling isn't a panacea and stop bleating about greedy operators.

Better to convert to energy in Ireland by incinerating than dump dirty plastic and cardboard in a third world country

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:31 am 
Nationalised

slasher wrote:
Why the world’s recycling system stopped working - https://www.ft.com/content/360e2524-d71 ... d6f82e62f8 via @FT

Time for people to admit recycling isn't a panacea and stop bleating about greedy operators.

Better to convert to energy in Ireland by incinerating than dump dirty plastic and cardboard in a third world country

The best definition of "Recycling" I've come across is polluting slowly instead of fast.

A lot of recycling naturally occurs in industry especially if it's cost efficient to reclaim the raw materials that way.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am 
Too Big to Fail

Open Window wrote:
slasher wrote:

The best definition of "Recycling" I've come across is polluting slowly instead of fast.

A lot of recycling naturally occurs in industry especially if it's cost efficient to reclaim the raw materials that way.

To be followed by "the best solution to pollution is dilution"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property