Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 884 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grappling with the housing crisis: Fresh approaches need
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:00 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

muirgheasa wrote:
I lived in a house share with 4 others when I left college. Was amazing for that stage of life. Would have been equally happy going into the kind of shared accommodation described (and certainly the kind of upscale student accommodation that's being built at the moment).

Really not too sure what the issue here is?

Same here: lived in student accommodation and shared housing with some great groups of people. I think it is a fantastic way to live- group cooking, always someone around to go out for a pint, lots of parties to go to, meet lots of interesting people from different backgrounds etc. Plus there is a huge demand for this from foreign people who want to get set up in the country, masters students etc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:22 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I thought this common room/shared living sounded good when I first heard it. Then I googled 1 of the London places:
https://www.thecollective.co.uk/coliving/old-oak

Min is £200 pw and the bedrooms are tiny, the bed takes up the whole room. The kitchens are tiny, I couldn't imagine cooking a dinner every night.
So it might suit some but it's not going to be cheap.

It looks to me like another way for big time landlords/funds to squeeze as many people as possible into the smallest space, brand it as hip/cool, and charge more than would have been the case for the traditional house/apt share.
Only a matter of a decade or two before we have sleeping pods like in Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:14 am 
Under CAB Investigation

£200/wk for London is about right- especially as that is all in (bills, internet etc). I wonder how flexible they are regarding length of stays- since it is paid by the week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 am 
Of Systemic Importance

But it's a box room with shared facilities (and box sized at that too). It shouldn't be 'about right', it should be lot cheaper or whats the point of this except to maximise profit?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:39 am 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
But it's a box room with shared facilities (and box sized at that too). It shouldn't be 'about right', it should be lot cheaper or whats the point of this except to maximise profit?

The market decides what is right in terms of price. It is cheaper than a dingy studio flat in London ( which will need bills to be paid and probably need to be furnished).
Comes with cleaning every 2 weeks, free gym etc.

The more of these things get thrown at the market the better. As a potentially cheaper alternative to other accommodation to construct and accommodate greater numbers, it could help to significantly increase supply.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:55 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Murphy has taken 50 years of planning orthodoxy and thrown it in the garbage. Read it all!

Quote:
The first thing we need to do is establish a planning policy position that, within clearly defined geographical catchments.............no minimum mandatory car-parking provision will apply.

We have some ridiculous restrictions on the effective and efficient use of scarce and expensive building land. The sprawl has got to stop.

We have a situation here in the Docklands, where an otherwise excellent SDZ planning scheme sets lower building heights than parts of the surrounding Dublin City Development Plan, on top of key existing and future public transport corridors like LUAS and the future DART underground, that will happen.

We have restrictions where there are lower building heights for residential development than commercial – even on the same street. This makes no sense in normal times, never mind when we’re in the midst of a housing crisis.

The Government’s Strategy for the Rental Sector calls for a major expansion of a properly funded and professionally managed rental accommodation sector. We need a mature build to rent market in our cities but we don’t have any guidelines for the sector.

Build-to-rent isn’t just about shared accommodation models only though. We can have build-to-rent models without the levels of requirement we can see for the build to sell sector, enabling greater flexibility around technical matters like

dual aspect,
units per lift core
percentage of studios, and so on.
Otherwise we are forcing people to pay more for accommodation they don’t need in places which aren’t convenient to their work, or suited to their lifestyle.

Now let's see if he can follow through. He has to deal with:

-Developers averse to innovation
-An architectural profession with very limited ideas
-Local authority planners who don't really like buildings

Good luck to him!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:11 am 
Back Home with Mammy

muirgheasa wrote:
harkerj wrote:
temene wrote:

"We have to free ourselves from the mind-set that everyone should live in a three-bedroom house at every stage of their lives."

So this is freedom ... FG style.

How about freeing ourselves from the political idea that property is only a supply-shortage issue Minister?

In fairness, this is also pretty much consensus on the Pin (or so I thought?), and surely is also more or less self-evident?

I lived in a house share with 4 others when I left college. Was amazing for that stage of life. Would have been equally happy going into the kind of shared accommodation described (and certainly the kind of upscale student accommodation that's being built at the moment).

The issue is successive governments who don't even want to discuss the demand-side of the equation in any planning for strategic development ... oh and there's also the small issue of NAMA throttling available supply. Let's not legislate to change its mandate, at all costs.

That style of communal living is all well and good, if you want to choose to live that way. It can work in other countries.
I don't think Murphy is taking about student accommodation here. He's talking about making it the norm for all new apartment complexes, regardless of who they will accommodate. In Ireland knee-jerk governments mess up what works elsewhere. For example, the previous mixed private and social housing estate model would become interesting when applied to communal living spaces. I see no consideration about the long-term social impact of these changes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:23 am 
Too Big to Fail

muirgheasa wrote:
harkerj wrote:
temene wrote:

"We have to free ourselves from the mind-set that everyone should live in a three-bedroom house at every stage of their lives."

So this is freedom ... FG style.

How about freeing ourselves from the political idea that property is only a supply-shortage issue Minister?

In fairness, this is also pretty much consensus on the Pin (or so I thought?), and surely is also more or less self-evident?

The issue is being forced into houseshares or barracks as the only affordable option.
Sharing with randoms is hell. My greatest ambition once I'd finished my PhD and had a proper salary, even a postdoc's, was to have a hovel of my own. No matter how scruffy, it was going to be an improvement on having to stay in the lab until 2am to avoid my housemates. :(

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:40 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

@harkerj and @Madness of Crowds:

Sure, if he's proposing to only allow that kind of accommodation then I'm absolutely with you both. He has explicitly stated that this is only one small part of the solution though.

All about follow through now, but his speech linked above was really encouraging. Certainly he seems to have very quickly gotten a far better handle on things than Coveney ever had.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 pm 
Nationalised

Do we have a central resource to review these proposals, links and such?

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am 
Nationalised

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2057797911

Landlord converting the sitting room into a bedroom and putting fridges in the bedrooms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am 
Under CAB Investigation

As the rooms are rented individually this is one way to get round the rental caps.

Also in line with government policy to increase supply of rental properties. What could go wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am 
Nationalised

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057797911

Landlord converting the sitting room into a bedroom and putting fridges in the bedrooms

isn't this a bedsit?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 am 
Under CAB Investigation

slasher wrote:

isn't this a bedsit?

What is the difference between a bedsit & house share?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm 
Nationalised

Luan wrote:
slasher wrote:

isn't this a bedsit?

What is the difference between a bedsit & house share?

Bedsits ae banned? :)

good question. A houseshare usually has a main tenancy divvied up among the tenants how they see fit - but that's not set in stone. Or at least only one has only 1 electricity meter?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 884 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 59  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property