Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 938 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
 Post subject: Re: Grappling with the housing crisis: Fresh approaches need
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:28 pm 
Nationalised

Lefournier3 wrote:
Bubblecovery wrote:
Lefournier3 wrote:
.... But never mind because that might be the start of a reasonable discussion about migration and you'll never get that online. :roll:

Last year foreign born mothers had 27% of the children here. You can splutter all you want about a few percentage points but its certainly notable a mono-ethnic country just at the turn of the century going down this path with not only no public consultation but a media aghast at the Irish discussing their own self interest.
21K non EEA nationals entered Ireland in the last 12 months net, 120K non Irish given the piece of toilet paper that is now our citizenship over the last few years, in the midst of a housing crisis?, you have then the govt organising all sorts of scab migrant labour for local gombeen men in this country and builders on about getting more non-EEA cheap labour to "fix" the housing crisis. Greasy till merchants and slumlords run Ireland.

I rest my case.

You've no case in this instance.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:35 am 
Too Big to Fail

The Guardian publishes a sobering read on our housing crisis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:43 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

temene wrote:

With it's usual lefty slant but not a bad article. They've got all the usual suspects in there from Rory Hearne to Erica Fleming. And a reference to FG as centre-right :roll:

But for all the many reasons they outline for the housing crisis in Dublin, they even mentioned Germany's issues, there's not a single mention of one very large contributing factor but I wouldn't have expected any less from the Guardian.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:58 pm 
Nationalised

'UK housebuilding revolution': £65,000 prefab homes go into production

Sounds impressive. You have to read down a few paragraphs before you get to where it doesn't include land and connections to services, which can double or triple the cost. And how traditional customer tastes are for brick facades which are added on site and can add weeks to the delivery time. Translated into the Irish scenario, you could easily see them being back in the €400k category in no time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:03 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Modular build is also popular in Germany were, outside the major cities, housing is very cheap.

It is not pretty to look at but people tend to like paying less for things I find.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 am 
Real Estate Developer

This sounds like a step in the right direction:

https://www.independent.ie/business/per ... 06251.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

The irony of a local authority manager raising money for a homelessness charity
He has responsibility for housing under legislation, yet..
Only in Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:38 am 
Nationalised

It is now over three years since I called for "Emergency" interventions into home construction in Dublin. The grinding incompetence is beyond a joke now. :(

https://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopi ... ck#p845338

Quote:
If we cannot get construction going in the GDA and get starts to 20k a year by end 2016 we are in trouble...our cost base in Dublin is already excoriatingly large. We also need to build a lot of studio apartments in Dublin to deal with homeless and low income singletons or divorcees, probably 5k of those as an emergency measure alone. Not for refugees from Syria but for single or 2 person family homeless and constantly threatened with homelessness. The latter 5k units will have no effect on house prices but can be provided cheaper than long term habitable units costing €200k per , probably €100k each.

Course if we accept 20k Syrians I'll rerun the math for yiz. They won't be heading en masse to Waterford will they?? :)

Overall we still have enough housing stock but we do need to build 30k units a year from now on and 20k of those near and in Dublin. If we build 20k units a year in the GDA from 2017 we will not have a bubble, not enough pressure anywhere else on housing stock save perhaps Cork and Galway cities.

Since then the (then) incipient emergency has moved along to Cork and Galway cities as well and will probably spread to Limerick by next year. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 938 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63