Homeboy wrote:
We're the 5th most expensive country in the EU. 8DD

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1010/irelan ... iness.html

Prices are 17% above EU average 8DD

Don't think that comes as much of a shock

Post subject: Re: Ireland - 5th most expensive country in EU
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:49 pm 
Homeless

Yes :P After 4/5 years of recession, 450000 unemployed :P , 15 billion of a running deficit :P , a ??00 billion national debt (does anybody know?) :P , small and big businesses on the brink :P , Private debt sky high (morgages) :P , energy prices accelerating and god knows how many more shitstorms we are the 5th most expensive in EU! Ha Ha Ha XD BD :sick:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm 
Too Big to Fail

In the national discourse I would say that the ratio of complaining about cuts in income : complaining about the cost of living is about 10:1.

You can't cut my pension/salary/minimum wage/welfare check/housing allowance because my gas/rent/school book bill/VHI bill/groceries are too expensive. The argument is rarely said the other way around: make stuff cheaper so I can afford the income cuts.

Wiki still lists us as having the 2nd highest minimum wage in Europe after France/Monaco. Our MW is:

- €6.60 MORE than Portugal.
- €4.40 more than Greece and Spain (double essentially).
- €2 more than the UK. €2 x 8 hour working day = €16 less per day for UK MW employee.
- Almost €3 more than Austria
- 59c more than Netherlands
- 30c more than Belgium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so ... nimum_wage

I know that there are a lot of de facto MW's around Europe that aren't technically called MW and so aren't on that list, but using just those comparator countries, they are a mix of bailout countries, soon to be bailout countries, rich countries, and in-the-middle countries (but still pretty damn rich if we mean by that the UK and Belgium).

And we piss on all of them. It's not even that close.

So that is where the bar is set. And what it allows is bounties to flow from taxpayers into everything from Tesco's margins to excessively high pay in the PS and every salami-slicer in between. For example, naturally, into higher rents and mortgages which the state is complicit in sustaining because it is too appalling a vista to have to spend €10's and €10's of billions in Euro bailing out NAMA and the banks one final time.

And so everything is can-kicked and money continues to flow from our GDP out onto the profit sheets of multinational retailers, into the pockets of overpaid civil servants, into black holes in the banks, into price-gouging from insurers, medical practitioners, the education industry, accountants and lawyers' hourlies....and basically all the things that stifle and suppress dynamism in the economy.

I don't know about deflation/austerity in big countries like the US and UK. Don't care. But here in this rainy little shithole? I couldn't be more positive that we simply cannot grow our way out of these ridiculous constraints we've placed on ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Larry wrote:
So that is where the bar is set. And what it allows is bounties to flow from taxpayers into everything from Tesco's margins to excessively high pay in the PS and every salami-slicer in between. For example, naturally, into higher rents and mortgages which the state is complicit in sustaining because it is too appalling a vista to have to spend €10's and €10's of billions in Euro bailing out NAMA and the banks one final time.

And so everything is can-kicked and money continues to flow from our GDP out onto the profit sheets of multinational retailers, into the pockets of overpaid civil servants, into black holes in the banks, into price-gouging from insurers, medical practitioners, the education industry, accountants and lawyers' hourlies....and basically all the things that stifle and suppress dynamism in the economy.

I don't know about deflation/austerity in big countries like the US and UK. Don't care. But here in this rainy little sh*t*ole? I couldn't be more positive that we simply cannot grow our way out of these ridiculous constraints we've placed on ourselves.
+ 100%

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:54 pm 
Single Home Owner

Right. The PS is to blame for high prices, not the various private-sector cartels.

Lest you forget, gov't expenditure has always been lower than the EU average (near the bottom, actually). Many of the countries that are cheaper than Ireland also spend a lot more on their PS. Find another scapegoat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Homeboy wrote:
Larry wrote:

I don't know about deflation/austerity in big countries like the US and UK. Don't care. But here in this rainy little sh*t*ole? I couldn't be more positive that we simply cannot grow our way out of these ridiculous constraints we've placed on ourselves.
+ 100%

RigidDigits wrote:
Right. The PS is to blame for high prices, not the various private-sector cartels.

Lest you forget, gov't expenditure has always been lower than the EU average (near the bottom, actually). Many of the countries that are cheaper than Ireland also spend a lot more on their PS. Find another scapegoat.

I see the move Stateside hasn't moved your mind off its single track. :roll:

How's it going over there? :D

Moved stuff around to make it clear whom I was addressing

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

Last edited by Madness of Crowds on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm 
Old Time Landlord

RigidDigits wrote:

Hi Fingers :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Debt to GDP from 25% to 107% in just over 4 years - that has to be a record

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:14 pm 
Too Big to Fail

RigidDigits wrote:

cf. Larry's actual post:
Quote:
multinational retailers
civil servants
banks
insurers
medical practitioners
the education industry
accountants
lawyers'

Hmm, yes I see where he singled out the PS there.

Some good advice regarding forum etiquette for the future - no charge :wink:
Read then post.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:17 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

its not the minimum wage that has made ireland an expensive country to live in. can we stop peddling this nonsense??? This forum is supposed to be inhabited by useful, intelligent eaters not wannabe PDS :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:19 pm 
Too Big to Fail

lord vader wrote:
its not the minimum wage that has made ireland an expensive country to live in. can we stop peddling this nonsense??? This forum is supposed to be inhabited by useful, intelligent eaters not wannabe PDS :D

It's a kneebone-connected-to-the anklebone argument.

Tesco's profits are interconnected with high CS pay. High unemployment figures come from the same place as do high public liability insurance costs. High minimum wage is connected to high business rates charged by councils. High house prices and rents are the same thing as bust banks and NAMA. High welfare rates are the same as high doctor's charges.

It's all the same clusterfuck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:06 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Larry wrote:

:shock:

I should have kept Biology on instead of Physics. I was too young to make such a big call dammit.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:16 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Dubhgeannain wrote:
Larry wrote:

:shock:

I should have kept Biology on instead of Physics. I was too young to make such a big call dammit.

Don't worry, the physics bone is connected to the biology bone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:20 am 
Too Big to Fail

Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
Dubhgeannain wrote:
RigidDigits wrote:

cf. Larry's actual post:
Quote:
multinational retailers
civil servants
banks
insurers
medical practitioners
the education industry
accountants
lawyers'

Hmm, yes I see where he singled out the PS there.

Some good advice regarding forum etiquette for the future - no charge :wink:
Read then post.

"Education Industry" may have been what touched a nerve...