Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Census 2016 Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

the dude wrote:
Epicurus wrote:
Well we could easily do with 13,000 odd Brazilians around the place. have you seen the football squad coming through that O'Neill has to pick from lately.

that level, some of whom will be here since 2006, is a manageable enough number (if true) for this country and not taking the piss mass migration.

The best football players in Brazil tend to come from the favelas, so we really do seem to be trying to recreate the right conditions for future footballing success

There was a Brazilian team playing in the junior league in Roscommon a few years back made up of lads who worked the meat factories. I assumed that they'd be of a certin standard too but a mate who saw them play said they were hopeless....more Irish than Brazilian at the soccer :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:52 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
Your starting to come round to my way of thinking with regards to the census figures Mantissa :lol:

If anyone actually believes there are less than 10,000 Nigerians in Ireland as of 2016, I presume they are still writing to Santa!
There was over 17,000 in Ireland as per the 2011 census and even that was probably well under-counted based on the asylum stats in the last 20 years. And now there's 7,000 less with Nigeria as country of origin. CSO should be embarrassed releasing 'stats' like this

but they could be getting citizenship since and declaring as "Irish". Im sure there was a time when they thought they'd be the largest minority, how wrong they were!

As for the Brazilians, I doubt they ever dreamed of entering the favelas before they came here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:54 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I thought of that but the table relates to 'country of origin' so it's nothing to do with citizenship

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 pm 
Nationalised

temene wrote:

What is this random visual nonsense and to think money was spent on that!

Is there more? :(

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
I thought of that but the table relates to 'country of origin' so it's nothing to do with citizenship

it says origin of non-Irish nationals. if these figures include those with citizenship then the CSO are lying.

FreeFallin wrote:
Your starting to come round to my way of thinking with regards to the census figures Mantissa :lol:

that's the second time in a year you've said that about a pinster in this thread, sept 17 2017

@ open window, any gibberish can be made via data analytics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Thing Fish wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

it says origin of non-Irish nationals. if these figures include those with citizenship then the CSO are lying.

FreeFallin wrote:

that's the second time in a year you've said that about a pinster in this thread, sept 17 2017

I thought the Coles one was interesting, deplorable even

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 am 
Under CAB Investigation

A lot of Nigerians take Irish citizenship. There are huge reason to do so. No longer needing an employer visa and kids can go to third level on EU fees.

They are probably desctlribing themselves as Irish now in the Census.

Update: I found another Census stat that says 8,000 Nigerians in Ireland have dual nationality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 am 
Of Systemic Importance

the dude wrote:

I don't follow :?:
Plus, I can't see any comment on the prev page for Sept 17,2017

Skippy3- the question on the census refers to 'country of origin', not nationality/citizenship.
So are people misinterpreting the question and the CSO need to look at that rather than just throw the figures out there with no thought given?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 am 
Too Big to Fail

Open Window wrote:
What is this random visual nonsense and to think money was spent on that! Is there more? :(
Knock yourself out
http://www.google.ie/search?rlz=1C1GCEA ... ypFhkE3CnE
http://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/pres ... sreleases/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:00 am 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
the dude wrote:

Plus, I can't see any comment on the prev page for Sept 17,2017

it was Sept 14 2017 :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 am 
Too Big to Fail

Mantissa wrote:
I have a hard time believing that the table above is actually from a government agency. Since when is "America" a country? Or "Antigua/Barbuda"?

It comes from CSO
You can refine it further and break down "Nationality" answer as: Irish-American 17552, American (US) 10519

And another breakdown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:23 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
the dude wrote:

Coles generally has a left wing view of the world, so I was surprised to see him post the following

Coles2 wrote:
@FreeFallin, you're completely right. One aspect of the 'repopulation' policy was that the doors were opened through 'study visas', frequently through fake English language schools that facilitated tens of thousands to move here and work without any questions being asked. Also certain countries were given removed from requiring education visas (most notably Brazil), and at least 40% of immigrants made use of this scheme. This was all part of a policy of creating demand for property and forcing up rents and yield, and ultimately prices, while simultaneously forcing down labour costs.

If the wicked witch of Illinois heard him say that she would call him deplorable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:45 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

brazillians took the jobs that poles dont want... Fake students were very popular employees at mcdonalds in last few years.

I think it all started to be bigger when UK tight down student visas, e.g. put restrictions on work hours.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:48 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

mightyz wrote:
brazillians took the jobs that poles dont want... Fake students were very popular employees at mcdonalds in last few years.

I think it all started to be bigger when UK tight down student visas, e.g. put restrictions on work hours.

Fake students got an amnesty in 2011 and there's another one coming in the months ahead that will turn 5,500 (+ 000's more through family reunification) from fake to fully paid up visa holders/social welfare entitled to stay on legally in Ireland.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:11 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

FreeFallin wrote:
mightyz wrote:

Fake students got an amnesty in 2011 and there's another one coming in the months ahead that will turn 5,500 (+ 000's more through family reunification) from fake to fully paid up visa holders/social welfare entitled to stay on legally in Ireland.

At what cost to the taxpayer may I ask?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next