Post subject: Why is the State not performing massive Capital investment?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

The CAPITAL INVESTMENT PLAN 2016 – 2021 is here

http://www.per.gov.ie/en/capital-invest ... 2016-2021/

Quote:
This Capital Plan presents the Government’s new €42 billion framework for infrastructure investment in Ireland over the period 2016 to 2021.

Quote:
The Capital Plan combines direct investment by the Exchequer of €27 billion, a third phase of PPP investments of about €500 million and State-owned sector investment of around €14½ billion.

Quote:
The €27 billion Exchequer component of the Capital Plan, supplemented by a new €500 million phase of the PPP programme, is primarily targeted at addressing priority needs in transport, education, housing and health care. Investments will be made in public transport, including commencement of a metro project in Dublin, new and upgraded schools, Primary and Continuing Care health facilities, and new social housing will be delivered. Investments will also be made to mitigate risks from flooding. There will also be continued large investment in job creation and export rich enterprises such as manufacturing, services, agriculture and tourism.

The €14½ billion non-Exchequer component of the Capital Plan will be delivered by the State companies, which include ESB, Irish Water, and Ervia – formerly Bord Gáis Éireann. These investments will primarily be targeted at energy infrastructure development, including renewable energy and smart metering, and on the enhancement of water and wastewater infrastructure.

Bond yields are at all-time lows, almost NIL. Why not borrow billions more and start building major capital items now when it costs nothing in interest and the Cost/Benefit analysis shows it will be well worth the return?

Discuss!

Post subject: Re: Why is the State not performing massive Capital investme
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:48 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

wouldn't all that have to be off the national balance sheet.
and anyhow...
because we heard nothing from the investigation in to the biggest construction companies in the country sharing out the infrastructure projects amongst themselves. This was in the newspapers back in the second half of the noughties and then completely disappeared from view.
because you can't build anything really big and useful without a PPP which gives connected individuals a path to instant wealth.
because all the competent engineers (and they do exist) are employed mostly overseas on projects where they actually get to complete the project rather than dealing with politics for the best part of a decade.
because the land on which the projects will be built are held by insiders and a politician who wants to drive through a project knows they will get negative press if they pay off the person who asserts right constitutional to ownership of the property they acquired just a few years earlier a-la jackson way.
build a new hospital and you are guaranteed a strike before unions allow their workers to move in.
build a national aquatic centre and you get the management company earning a small fortune from a public piece of infrastructure.

about the only thing I could see being done is building a prison is a rural area and putting good quality road surfaces on roads which are already in public ownership.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm 
Real Estate Developer

We cant even get a children's hospital built despite the clear need, goodwill from just about everyone and funding

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:03 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The only semi shovel ready projects that would really boost spend are Metro North and Dart Underground.

Politicians and civil servants are scared sh1tless of them because of the risk of cost overrun, delays and/or ability to leave no room for other ribbon cutting opportunities.

All this despite it being hard to find ANY public infrastructure in Dublin that looks like bad value after the fact. And instead we get more buses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:11 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
The only semi shovel ready projects that would really boost spend are Metro North and Dart Underground.

Politicians and civil servants are scared sh1tless of them because of the risk of cost overrun, delays and/or ability to leave no room for other ribbon cutting opportunities.

All this despite it being hard to find ANY public infrastructure in Dublin that looks like bad value after the fact. And instead we get more buses.

Scared of doing their job.. absolutely fabulous, just great! Nothing to see here. All is good. Come back in 2050 when Ireland is the first former country declared as an entire world heritage site, since the population left a perfectly intact *19th century city.

*Most of the modern infrastructure and edifice has since perished having fall to a rare bacterium that feasts on pyrite and shredded paper leaving only colonial period structures in place.... homebond!

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:19 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Surely you mean 18th century; the already-powerful Georgian Society will surely one day cast down all this modern 19th century nonsense and require everyone to use horse-hair plaater forever more. Anyone caught selling double-glazing will be shot. With a musket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:50 am 
Real Estate Developer

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-tax ... ?r=US&IR=T

You never know if Apple ends up having to pay, how much of this 19 billion will come to Ireland?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:12 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Worstpigeon wrote:
Surely you mean 18th century; the already-powerful Georgian Society will surely one day cast down all this modern 19th century nonsense and require everyone to use horse-hair plaater forever more. Anyone caught selling double-glazing will be shot. With a musket.

Funny how the most precious buildings of all were built long before the 1963 Planning Act!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:21 pm 
Nationalised

Worstpigeon wrote:

I humbly apologise in double-triplicate. I was mixing up Banking crisis metaphor given to me by a leading economist... 18th Century it is with some megalithic outposts/theme parks.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:24 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
Worstpigeon wrote:

Funny how the most precious buildings of all were built long before the 1963 Planning Act!

Yes and that is the point. Well spotted. Painfully lost on the majority of planners and various invested groups, politicians, build professionals. They ignore the one collective bock that would make their life so much easier, unless of course they leverage their plan with some flat brownies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:36 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:

Scared of doing their job.. absolutely fabulous, just great! Nothing to see here. All is good. Come back in 2050 when Ireland is the first former country declared as an entire world heritage site, since the population left a perfectly intact *19th century city.

*Most of the modern infrastructure and edifice has since perished having fall to a rare bacterium that feasts on pyrite and shredded paper leaving only colonial period structures in place.... homebond!

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:47 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

satechi wrote:
We cant even get a children's hospital built despite the clear need, goodwill from just about everyone and funding

Why Ireland is doing everything to become an example of how to waste taxes?

Everything real done by state is going worse here, except leprechaun GDP figures.

Especially Health service is a total failure, which I've experienced myself. Thousands of managers, no one ready to make decision, no one there to cure you. Waiting times for simple procedures goes into years.. Even something as easy as getting an appointment date is taking months in public service. Are we living in Africa or one of the richest countries on the world (according to well faked GDP numbers anyway)? It is just ridiculous with this propaganda from Enda and others.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:55 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Taoiseach wants alternative option for Metro North

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0501/95958 ... -varadkar/

Quote:
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has called for an alternative option to be found for the Metro North project to avoid it running under the grounds of a GAA club on the north side of the city.

It has been proposed that the service would run directly under Na Fianna's grounds in Glasnevin, which is in the constituency of Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe.

The club will be required to relocate for at least six years if the proposed route gets the goes ahead.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm 
Single Home Owner

TheJackal wrote:
Taoiseach wants alternative option for Metro North

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0501/95958 ... -varadkar/

Quote:
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has called for an alternative option to be found for the Metro North project to avoid it running under the grounds of a GAA club on the north side of the city.

It has been proposed that the service would run directly under Na Fianna's grounds in Glasnevin, which is in the constituency of Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe.

The club will be required to relocate for at least six years if the proposed route gets the goes ahead.

I can't imagine it taking more then 12 months to build a cut and cover tunnel on there. They would'nt even have to demolish buildings.

Why is Leo asking them to move the line while not speaking to the engineers themselves on mitigation?

Why don't the planners defend themselves from this interference?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:52 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I've been to watch our local team play Na Fianna in a ground out by the Airport which has about 8-10 pitches which they own/lease. We've played them in Johnstown Park. There are pitches in Albert College Park up the road from their club house. There are pitches in Poppintree park. Setanta have pitches up from Albert College Park. I've seen them play in St. Kevins too. I'm pretty sure a few bob from Metro North to Na Fianna would help them finance the rent of pitches from Setanta, Kickhams and Erins Isle for a little while.

It's probably my old age but I can't help but think this is a bit of a shakedown for a few bob from the Metro project above what they'd normally get. I could be wrong but of all the clubs on the Northside I think Na Fianna are one of the strongest organisationally and materially. I can't see the loss of their clubhouse pitches destroying their club.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus