Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: 40 tenants in one house
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:30 pm 
Private Tenant

This can't be true, can it? Surely the neighbours would notice...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/52pzhc/landlords_renting_houses_to_40_tenants/

"today another student told me that she lives with 67 people out near cabinteely, she pays 200. Should I report this and to who?"

67 * 200 * 12 = €161k pa!

Post subject: Re: 40 tenants in one house
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:21 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I once lived in an old-ish apartment with a very large living room (2 bedrooms, one bathroom).

Landlord told me that previous tenants had squeezed 9 or 10 after pretending it was only 3. Bunk beds in the living room was the trick.

They were immigrants and this was 2005 or 2006 I think.

I really don't have a problem with it. People have very different preferences for saving and material comfort particularly over the short run.

Once neighbours are not disturbed it should not be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:44 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Yeah + 1, I don't see the problem with it, people in the likes of India and Africa live in far worse conditions and it does them no harm

It looks to be a great way to cut rents for the tenants while at the same time landlords can increase profits, zero downside, whats not to like, if we could find a way for employers of the tenants to get in on the act and cut wages it would be great for the economy

And 200 a month to live out near Cabinteely is an absolute bargin

I might invest in one of these flats once the new first time buyers grant comes in, I always wanted to be an entrepreneur

Of course I would hate to have to live like that myself, its for other people not me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:38 pm 
Nationalised

I'm a TEFL teacher and I have one student who lives in a house with more that 40 people, he told me he pays around 300 a month, today another student told me that she lives with 67 people out near cabinteely, she pays 200. Should I report this and to who?

Renting a room on your own in Dublin can cost €200 per week! The TEFL teacher does not say what nationality their students are, but I'll hazard a guess and say South American and most likely Brazil. Legally they can only work 20 hours per week in Ireland to offset their costs. There is no mention of the duration of the students course, most likely it is 12 months, so if these guys can cut the cost of accommodation to €50-€75 per week by sharing then of course that's what they are logically going to do. In case you think the landlord is coining it, that many people come with shoe leather costs so any profits will be tempered with much higher maintenance overheads.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:03 pm 
Homeless

I'm amazed that every posts a justification for what is illegal and, frankly, a disgrace.

How long will it take for this to be acceptable for the poor.

Or, for your own children (or grandchildren) who are students themselves.

As a small landlord myself, I could never justify it. We're all in it for profit; but sometimes you have to question ethics (or lack thereof)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I do believe tongues are in cheek so to speak.
However,
This Dublin flat is pulling in €6000pm by putting four beds in each of the four bedrooms at €1500pm per room...if the ad is to believed. Each room is equipped with a bunk bed as well as a single bed with a sofa below, guaranteeing a comfortable social environment https://www.spotahome.com/dublin/for-rent:rooms/95606

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:25 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Skippy 3 wrote:

I really don't have a problem with it.

well the law does have a problem with it ...... thankfully

that's an absolute fucking disgrace

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Each room is equipped with a bunk bed as well as a single bed with a sofa below,

Sounds like the accommodation in Wheatfield!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:42 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

This does not surprise me. Whenever we put a job ad out, half the applicants seem to be from south America and they mostly have addresses in the north city centre. I just have visions of 10 of them to a room. These countries have huge populations and if a very small portion are here, it would be easy to overwhelm the accommodation in Dublin. They all seem to be on student visas but we all know about that scam.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:49 pm 
Real Estate Developer

These people have chosen to live like that. If the landlord is OK with it, what's the problem.

It's effectively a hostel.

Milton Friedman best moments

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  [Go to page]   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Republic of Property