Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
 Post subject: Re: Apollo House 'taken over' by Activists
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:28 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
Long articlein the FT about homelessness in San Francisco, a much richer city than Dublin.

Short version:
-The city is teeming with homelessness, both rough sleeping and the precarious kind where families dip in and out of having a home
-Paradoxically, homeless people have come from all over the US, despite the astronomical cost of housing
-A huge city spend on homelessness achieves very little

This could be Dublin in due course

Except that (again) apparently the number of rough sleepers in Dublin has been constant for some time, and homeless numbers are below the per-capita equivalent in other European capitals. Assuming those stats are correct. So it seems unlikely that homeless are coming to Dublin from elsewhere in any significant numbers. It appears to be a home-grown problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:43 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Former bank in Walkinstown to be a Homeless Hub.
Residents say No.

Two public meetings were packed with residents. The biggest round of applause was in response to one resident’s concern that “we don’t want junkies in the area”. http://www.echo.ie/news/article/fury-ab ... k-building

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:35 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Mantissa wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:
Long articlein the FT about homelessness in San Francisco, a much richer city than Dublin.

Short version:
-The city is teeming with homelessness, both rough sleeping and the precarious kind where families dip in and out of having a home
-Paradoxically, homeless people have come from all over the US, despite the astronomical cost of housing
-A huge city spend on homelessness achieves very little

This could be Dublin in due course

Except that (again) apparently the number of rough sleepers in Dublin has been constant for some time, and homeless numbers are below the per-capita equivalent in other European capitals. Assuming those stats are correct. So it seems unlikely that homeless are coming to Dublin from elsewhere in any significant numbers. It appears to be a home-grown problem.

I think you'll find that the general belief is that the SF problem is a function of climate and a big city where you at least have a chance of work/begging/scavenging. It's favoured over LA because it's not as hot, the citizens of SF are more tolerant and there are more parks, seashore, green areas etc to bed down in.

Dublin is a home grown problem. At least part of it stems from the 'care in the community' view of mental health that governments seem to have had since the 80s, it's also a function of the levels of institutional (and familial) abuse. You don't have to scratch far under the surface to find familiar patterns that ultimately lead to drug and alcohol abuse and to a dysfunctional life that prevents people getting work. The system is unfortunately designed so that people have to scurry around trying to find beds every night so I suspect if you asked people who are housed in hostels on any particular night you might well find that most of them have spent more than a few nights outside.

Some remain on the street by choice but for most it's fear. Those that do get off the streets and into hostels generally live a life that is only barely above what living on the street offers them - they receive no treatment for the basic root problems (mental health, counselling for abuse) and very little for the symptoms (drug and alcohol abuse). On dole day the dealers are outside waiting for them - if you want to talk about the homeless industry - that's the real one. There may be little hope for the older homeless but the long term approach to reducing homelessness needs to start with those who are just coming on to the streets and to assessing why they are there and then actually to do something about the root cause.

Those who state that it is a small problem should perhaps ask the government why it is not eliminated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm 
Nationalised

IMHO the government are the wrong people to ask. They basically give a load of money to private charities to try avoid responsibility. The “housing first” model, combined with appropriate HSE supports sounds like it should be able to make the situation as “least bad” as possible. I am not aware that homelessness has ever been eradicated but I’m sure we would do a lot better if the government put resources directly into housing and addiction and mental health services and cut out the middle men with their questionable governance. (And I include local authorities in that).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Apollo House all boarded up for the renovators/demolitioners to move in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:38 pm 
Too Big to Fail

We're housing homeless persons in The Gresham Hotel :(
It is believed that 14 homeless families are currently staying at the Gresham, and they will have to source alternative accommodation by the end of the month.
Some of the families in question are believed to have been staying at the Gresham for over a year.
http://www.thejournal.ie/gresham-hotel- ... 1-Jan2018/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:26 pm 
Nationalised

Forget about what the planning permission is for, in your opinions, how many storeys should the new building be ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:25 am 
Property Magnate

mr_anderson wrote:
Forget about what the planning permission is for, in your opinions, how many storeys should the new building be ?

Same area as Liberty Hall across the way - what height is that 60m (16 storeys?)
And it's start of docklands strip there... I honestly wouldnt mind seeing 16-20 storeys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 pm 
Real Estate Developer

mr_anderson wrote:

Tara St is fairly wide - the buildings around are ca 10 stories+Ground Level - I think 10 storeys +GL is fine with direct frontage onto the street. I'd make sure it was set back from the Poolbeg st corner to avoid the 'canyon' feel that Hawkins House imposed on Poolbeg St . People forget that the reason for not having clusters of massive buildings in the city centre is that the streets are so narrow. A single tall building can be fine (Liberty Hall can get away with it because it is the only tall building and is essentially open on two sides - the river and Beresford place). I think we could have taller buildings if we widened streets - even just by setting buildings back behind some public space. But since we won't do that we can only build a small number of tall buildings in a limited number of places.

The classic example of this is Mount St Lower where new buildings were built on either side of the road, they're of modest height - 3 or 4 stories - but they were built right up to the edge of their sites giving a claustrophobic effect - setting these back even 20 feet from the road would probably have allowed 6 or 8 storey buildings to be built with a less damaging effect.

The planners get blamed for this - but it's really the NIMBYs - they focus on the height rather than the positioning.

Look at Grand Canal Dock - which was a NIMBY free zone - most of the buildings are in the 7/8 storey range but the streets and pavements are wide enough to make them seem proportional and not unreasonably tall.

I'm in favour of much greater density in Dublin - not only in the City but also in suburbs well served by public transport. I'd happily see every house in Temple Road demolished and replaced by well landscaped 6 storey apartment blocks all within five minutes walk of the Luas. However you have to pick your battles. I think the Docklands will provide us with considerable office and apartment space well into the future but it will only be successful if we provide the necessary infrastructure - public transport, shops, schools, recreational space and facilities. That's what planning should be giving us - but I suspect that that is not what we as a public want and we have forced the politicians to reflect our me feinism and to ensure that proper planning is an impossibility.

The Government says it wants to pack a city of 1.4m people between the mountains , the plains of Kildare and the sea. It's very easily done except the people and the politicians want a village of 1.4m people - which can be done (we're kind of doing it now) - but it won't function as either a village or a city - it'll be a mess (which it is already and we haven't even got to the 1.4m) .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm 
Too Big to Fail

IT - Former homeless Apollo House residents secure home
by Kitty Holland

Tomas Syancek and his wife, Lucie Venglovska, sold everything they had in the Czech Republic and came here in 2015, believing they were well funded with €3,000.
Tomas, a computer programmer, and Lucie, with experience in hotel work, expected to find employment and a place to live easily.
Instead they stayed for three months in hostels. “I worked first in hotels,” says Lucie, but Tomas, with little English then, found it impossible to get work. .....
Just before Christmas the couple moved into a small flat comprising one room, off which is a small galley kitchen. A tiny shower room is off the kitchen. It is €1,300 a month and they get the HAP. “It is heaven. Apollo House was a new start for us. Everything is better. One day we will have a home, with no HAP and a good job,” says Tomas. “A new life is starting.”

This makes me mad. Plenty of Irish people are homeless, yet we can house those, who moved to Ireland in 2015, in SouthCircularRoad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:51 pm 
Nationalised

mr_anderson wrote:

Why should there be a planning limit?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm 
Nationalised

Mantissa wrote:
mr_anderson wrote:

Why should there be a planning limit?

There should be actual planning not limits per se.

I think what we have had since 1964 is more correctly described as "The (arbitrary political) Limiting Process" of the spatial potential. Catalysed by watchful spatial prohibitionists, who lurk around every corner and seize on any and every opportunity to invoke their immense powers of limitation by activating process at great cost to everyone else but themselves, policed by a minority of locally based civil servant limiting officers, aka planners.

The subject is of course suited to an existing or dedicated thread (which there is probably one already that's not springing to mind).

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:42 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

So the 'Activists' that took over 1 of those gaffs in Summerhill D1 that dozens of Brazilians had been kicked out of due to fire safety concerns had to leave there because of a court order.
They then took over a house on North Frederick St D1 and are still there despite a court order from a week ago.
And today they had a protest march at the GPO before going on to take over another vacant property, this time in Belvedere Court, D1. They seem to be indicating that the Belvedere Court property belongs to a public representative but haven't named that person yet, neither has the media.

http://www.thejournal.ie/housing-activi ... 4-Sep2018/
Quote:
In a social media event page for the occupation this evening, the activists said: “While occupations hold a special place in our hearts, this one is set to be a show-stopper.”
When asked by TheJournal.ie whether they could provide any indication as to where the property will be, the spokesperson said that “public representatives aren’t beyond targeting”.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41