Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are we looking at a Mortgage Rates Price War?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:40 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Dubhgeannain wrote:
pm1977 wrote:
Anyone who has switched to BOI, was there much involved beyond the stuff listed on the site and how long did it take?

Started switching in February. I found it more hassle to switch than to get a mortgage out to be honest. Thankfully it'll all be completed in the next couple of days.

There was a little added complication of us varying our term slightly so we ended up switching Life Cover providers too. Our Life application had to go to the underwriters so again that added to the delay with BOI.

The biggest delays were probably with KBC. The funds were drawn down on June 11th and have been sitting in my solicitors account since because KBC decided to drag their heels in issuing the final redemption figure. Finally got it in Friday evenings post after I pestered them due to my solicitor finding them unresponsive. They were slow issuing the deeds in the first place too. I can't remember how long but it was around about 3 weeks or more. The redemption figure was dated earlier in the week but conveniently only came in Fridays post with interest of €20 per day applied. I requested the figure on Monday.

I'm not surprised by any of the above so it hasn't bothered me that much but just wanted to paint the picture.

All very good to know in advance, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:54 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

BoI had a deal the past 3 years for those on trackers who were getting a new house and thus a new mortgage. You got to keep the tracker +1% for 5 years at the amount remaining and the rest at their fixed/variable rates. After 5 years, the amount on tracker +1% also reverted to BOi's fixed/variable rates.
2 weeks ago they announced you could now keep the mortgage amount pre-move at tracker +1% for all of the remaining years on that mortgage i.e. the 5 year rule is gone.

And they are backdating that for anyone who is currently on the 5 year rule. Might be of benefit to some of you on here

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:34 am 
Under CAB Investigation

It appears from a peruse over AskAboutMoney that there is no time limit on switching. I was reading previously that banks were refusing borrowers who had switched recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:03 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

FreeFallin wrote:
BoI had a deal the past 3 years for those on trackers who were getting a new house and thus a new mortgage. You got to keep the tracker +1% for 5 years at the amount remaining and the rest at their fixed/variable rates. After 5 years, the amount on tracker +1% also reverted to BOi's fixed/variable rates.
2 weeks ago they announced you could now keep the mortgage amount pre-move at tracker +1% for all of the remaining years on that mortgage i.e. the 5 year rule is gone.

And they are backdating that for anyone who is currently on the 5 year rule. Might be of benefit to some of you on here

Yes got this deal - and was a little suspicious on a couple of fronts.

It is hard to believe they did this out of the goodness of their hearts. So it raises a few questions.

1) Where they under pressure to stay clear of trackers from a higher level / regulator ?
2) Does it raise questions about the validity of mover product at all - and have people on a mover product a claim to get back onto their full tracker ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:47 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

#2 is an interesting point alright. But who could look into the validity of forcing people trading up to go on to tracker +1%? The Central Bank?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:06 pm 
Property Magnate

Ulster Bank ups ante over home loans with 2.3pc mortgage rate

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEFhVllZ9isioJhHYu7_KxIIqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowseyfCTDMyG8wr8qiAQ?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:15 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Quango Unchained wrote:

Excellent, think KBC's best 2 year fixed is 2.8, BOI possibly 3%, so this really puts it up to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:44 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Mortgage price war hots up as Permanent TSB is latest to cut fixed rates
https://www.independent.ie/business/per ... 65847.html
Quote:
Permanent TSB is set to announce in the coming days deep cuts in its fixed mortgage rates for its existing customers.
It comes after dramatic reductions in Ulster Bank lending rates, a move that is set to put AIB under huge pressure to cut its lending rates.
Permanent TSB is set to announce a 0.5pc reduction in its two, three and four-year fixed rates for existing customers.
This will see its two-year rate go from 4.20pc to 3.7pc for existing customers who lock into it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 am 
Of Systemic Importance

How come every banks is ignoring the variable market? AIB has best variable of 2.75. They dropped that last year and no bank has reacted!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 am 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:
Quote:
Permanent TSB is set to announce in the coming days deep cuts in its fixed mortgage rates for its existing customers.
It comes after dramatic reductions in Ulster Bank lending rates, a move that is set to put AIB under huge pressure to cut its lending rates.
Permanent TSB is set to announce a 0.5pc reduction in its two, three and four-year fixed rates for existing customers.
This will see its two-year rate go from 4.20pc to 3.7pc for existing customers who lock into it.

I just checked the Ulster bank website

2 Year Fixed LTV 60% 2.3%

At the end of the fixed rate term, you go onto the the SVR 4.3%

Really 4.3% ???? I knew it was too good to be true

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:02 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Just fix again rather than go to SVR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Magpie wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
Quote:

Nobody is actually paying 4.3% though. They offer a discount, depending on LTV and if you open a current a/c. 3.2% to 3.4% is average

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am 
Under CAB Investigation

BOI have had a policy for several years of trying to get people off variables and on to fixed rates. Ulster are probably doing the same.

I suspect it allows them to match asset and liability maturities on the balance sheet, with cheaper funding costs.

Long run it is much better for the mortgage market if borrowers aren't exposed to short-run fluctuations in interest rates.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:07 am 
Under CAB Investigation

TheJackal wrote:
Magpie wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
Quote:

Nobody is actually paying 4.3% though. They offer a discount, depending on LTV and if you open a current a/c. 3.2% to 3.4% is average

Ahh, ok, thanks. Probably not worth moving as I am on a 3.05 % with KBC, but good to see a bit of downward pressure being applied.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:29 pm 
Too Big to Fail

So KBC have lost the redemption cheque which was signed for as "received" last week. They proceeded to debit my account again yesterday for a mortgage repayment.

So, at the moment I now have 2 mortgages. I am currently lodging a formal complaint with them due to the additional interest that should not have been accrued and the hours I've wasted on the phone bouncing between my solicitor and particularly them in the past couple of weeks.

My solicitor opted to pay by cheque since bank didn't even post account details on the redemption letter.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next